Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigers41 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Condensation Build-up under Vent where Furnace vent exits Roof Line
    I had a small water stain appear on my roof this winter and went up in the attic to find frozen condensation below the vent where both my water heater and my furnce exit the roof top. Do you have any suggestions on what could be causing this and how to rectify the situation.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Check the storm collar and/or stack flashing for leakage at the roofline.

Feb 26, 2009, 01:06 PM
    Even if we had hardly zero rain in the last two months, can air leaking through cause the condensation.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:38 PM
    If this is a double-wall b-vent, it could be warming the surrounding roof penetration to the point where any snow accumulation could melt and leak through. Another thought: Do you see any evidence of moisture on the outside of the vent where it passes through the attic? If the combustion draft velocity is insufficient, flue products may be condensing in the vent and leaking through. This could be due to insufficient combustion air or an oversized vent, or a combination of both.

Feb 27, 2009, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    If this is a double-wall b-vent, it could be warming the surrounding roof penetration to the point where any snow accumulation could melt and leak through. Another thought: Do you see any evidence of moisture on the outside of the vent where it passes through the attic? If the combustion draft velocity is insufficient, flue products may be condensing in the vent and leaking through. This could be due to insufficient combustion air or an oversized vent, or a combination of both.
    Did not see any moisture on the outside, but went up on the roof and the entire vent stack is frozen solid. Looks like either the stack vent may not be functioning correctly or like you see the velocity is insufficient. Talked to a roofer and he recommended replacing the vent stack since he though it was defective and deflecting the condensation back down and causing it to freeze up. Which when it thaws is causing it to drain back down inside stack or through a cracks in collar. Is there anything that can be modified on this vent from the furnace to help this situation. This is a double wall vent that has two water heaters and a furnace tied to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condensation with bathroom ceiling vent [ 5 Answers ]

I was not sure how to catagorize this problem: The issue is that we have condensation building up in the ceiling vent in our bathrooms. That condensation is filling up the light fixture, soaking into the ceiling board and dripping down onto the floor. I realize that the condensation is...

Attic vent and vent pipe leaks through roof [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: I have water leaking down through the attic vents and white PVC vent pipes. What is the best way to repair these leaks? Can repairs be made from inside the attic? Should the vents be replaced (they are plastic)? Thank you!:(

What is a roof vent? [ 5 Answers ]

My washer drain and sink drain are clogged very badly, I've read the questions and answers to this problem and I'm sorry for sounding so stupid but what is a roof vent. My house is on a slab, no basement. I see that the tall drain pipe for the washer empties into a larger roundish section with a...

Roof leak via furnace vent [ 1 Answers ]

Roof related but no roof section so... Just had a NEW roof installed and with heavy rain decided to check for leaks. I noticed water dripping from the roof down the furnace ventilator pipe. The rain was heavy. (1) Is this normal or an issue? (2) Is this something the roof builder created...

Dead squirrel in the plumbing line, from roof vent. [ 2 Answers ]

Help, my snow bird In-laws came home to quite the mess. They have a main floor toilet that is plugged and when you use a plunger lots of hair come up. It's animal - possibly a squirrel that has come down the vent pipe, got stuck and died. A plumber worked on it and said it's bad. They need $1000.00...

View more questions Search