Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Nov 2, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Oh my goodness! I read everyone's comments and decided I wanted to check it out for myself. This company actually offers to design websites?! Look at theirs! It looks like something a third grader would put together, with different size and color fonts all over the page. They also offer their website designs for $45-$145? A friend of mine designs websites on the side, almost as a hobby, and has sold them for $500+! Also, about the "representative" from the company having a Yahoo email, the company offers email utilities. Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't you think if they offer this they would use it? Then I checked out the Better Business Bureau rating and my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe a company would do this and that BBB hasn't sued their pants off!
    I'm sorry for everyone who got caught in this scam. Keep pushing to get something done about these criminals so no one else falls into their trap.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 07:14 AM
    One thing's for sure. At least it's likely that they're not suckering in many new customers at this point.

Look what happens if a potential customer decides to Google them: "Theous Corporation"
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 2, 2006, 07:30 AM
    OMG THAT IS GREAT!!

Just another reason I love this site!! :D:D
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Wow! Apparently they are not only false advertising, but they are going one step further.

Click on the BBB image on this page and look where it lands you. If you hack the url you'll see that they've copied the BBB rating page and replaced the "F" image with an "A". :eek:

Yes, Scammers big time!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Wow! Apparently they are not only false advertising, but they are going one step further.

Click on the BBB image on this page and look where it lands you. If you hack the url you'll see that they've copied the BBB rating page and replaced the "F" image with an "A". :eek:

Yes, Scammers big time!!
    This was pointed out by CurlyBen in post #20 of this thread.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Holy crap, they copied the BBB page, changed the rating and hosted it on some web server. That's brazen and oh so fraudulent. Nice catch Rick. More ammunition for this case.

Edit: oops, missed Curly's earlier post.

Nov 2, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Holy crap, they copied the BBB page, changed the rating and hosted it on some web server. That's brazen and oh so fraudulent.
    Yeah, that is SO brazen. Even more than that its very dumb. Like that's not going to be spotted by Internet aware people. I see red flags whenever a URL uses an IP rather than a Domain name.

I susoect the only reason it hasn't been taken down os so it can be used the jail the principals.
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 04:20 AM
    I added this info to the BBB conversation and got this reply:

Quote Originally Posted by BBB
    Yes, this company has a very good copy of our page. They have even adjusted
    the complaint statistics to claim they do not have any complaints, but if you
    check our real report, they have 12.

We are hoping they will remove the report after being contacted by the legal
    department.

Thanks again for letting us know they are still using the false report.
    For those of you who have complained to ic3.gov, I strongly suggest that you add this information.

Nov 3, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but something doesn't make sense here. The BBB is a reasonably large and powerful organization. Now I imagine that the scenario goes something like this:

1) BBB is made aware of the spoofed site.
    2) BBB sends a cease and desist letter ordering that the site be taken down immediately
    3) Next step is for BBB to obtain an injunction ordering the site taken down
    4) BBB serves the injunction on the ISP issuing the IP address of the server
    5) ISP then cuts off the IP.

Now the only thing missing here is the timeline. Without knowing when the BBB was first informed of the spoofed site, I can't say for sure that this scenario has been played out. However, I wonder why the BBB is hesitating. In my opinion the spoofed site should have been shut done within 2 weeks of the BBB being notified about it. The cease and desist letter should have taken nor more than 2 days to deliver. One day to write it and one to send it via overnite mail. I would give no more that 3 business days for Theous to take down the site. On the 4th day, I would have obtained the injunction. On the 5th day it would have been served on the ISP. By the 6th day the site would have been shut down. Add the 2 days to write and deliver the cease and desist we have 8 business days. So I'm wondering why the site is still up?
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Me too. I'd presume the BBB has hungry attorneys eager to dive into such fraudulent activity as we see with Theous. Indeed it's a mystery.
    DieselDude Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 11:15 AM
    From the L.A. BBB:

Re: Complaint #98140502 - Theous Corporation

Thank you for letting us know of your dissatisfaction with the company’s response to your complaint. In a further effort to help you reach a mutually satisfactory resolution, we forwarded your comments to the company.

However, because the company has chosen not to respond, we must close our file on your complaint. We will note in our files that you disputed the outcome of this complaint, and this will become part of the information we report to the public about this company.

Thank you for contacting us about this complaint.

The Better Business Bureau
    tinobuntic Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDude
    THEOUS IS A SCAM!

Also, keep an eye out for Trade-Pals. Albert Palomo is somehow affiliated with them too.

ANOTHER POSSIBLE SCAM SITE: BEWARE

Los Angeles 3D Modeling, SopheaJobs, Resume Writers, Web Designers, Logo Design
    DieselDude, it's not cool of you to bring my website into this. This guy ain't affiliated with my site. He created a profile on my site.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2007, 11:50 AM
    I would say if you are a web hosting or add hosting company, if you are aware a company is a scam or fruad, and you don't delete it, or if you don't do something, then it does bring you into it.

So by advertising for him I would say it does relate you.

Jan 7, 2007, 12:06 PM
    I have almost 2000 profiles on my site. How do I know if someone is a scammer? I don't. What if this Theous guy created a profile on this website? Do you think that the webmasters of this site would delete it? No they wouldn't. So, this guy who is potentially a scammer creates a profile on my site, and suddenly I am also a scammer? I've never scammed anyone in my life. By the way, I don't delete profiles on my site unless they've contravened our TOS.

In all due respect, I think bringing my website into this is ludicrous.

This guy, Theous, or whatever his name is, can freely go and create a profile on a whole bunch of networking sites and his profile will not get deleted by the webmasters. He can create a profile, for instance, on AskMeHelpDesk.com. LinkedIn.com, MySpace.com, Ryze.com, EPinions.com. None of these sites would delete his profile. So, by association, would you consider all of these sites, including this one as scammers?

With the huge numbers of people creating profiles on these types of sites, all of these sites already have huge numbers of scammers that you don't know about.

And, by the way, I'm not going to judge Theous and label him a scammer because someone complained about him. If he truly is a scammer, then I think he's an idiot for it. People need to respect others. He may be being falsely accused of something and I wouldn't judge him without his side of the story. Has anyone ever falsely accused you of anything? I've had that happen to me right here on this forum topic.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinobuntic
    I have almost 2000 profiles on my site. How do I know if someone is a scammer? i don't. What if this Theous guy created a profile on this website? Do you think that the webmasters of this site would delete it? No they wouldn't. So, this guy who is potentially a scammer creates a profile on my site, and suddenly I am also a scammer? I've never scammed anyone in my life. By the way, I don't delete profiles on my site unless they've contravened our TOS.

In all due respect, I think bringing my website into this is ludicrous.

This guy, Theous, or whatever his name is, can freely go and create a profile on a whole bunch of networking sites and his profile will not get deleted by the webmasters. He can create a profile, for instance, on AskMeHelpDesk.com. LinkedIn.com, MySpace.com, Ryze.com, EPinions.com. None of these sites would delete his profile. So, by association, would you consider all of these sites, including this one as scammers?

With the huge numbers of people creating profiles on these types of sites, all of these sites already have huge numbers of scammers that you don't know about.

And, by the way, I'm not gonna judge Theous and label him a scammer because someone complained about him. If he truly is a scammer, then I think he's an idiot for it. People need to respect others. He may be being falsely accused of something and I wouldn't judge him without his side of the story. Has anyone ever falsely accused you of anything? I've had that happen to me right here on this forum topic.
    First, I agree that people should be very careful about making such accusations. We saw earlier how someone created an identity here claiming to represent Theous.

However, if your TOS doesn't include committing fraud, then it should.

As to your not judging Theous, did you read this thread carefully? If you had you would have noticed that Theous created a clone site of the BBB which gave them a false, positive rating. That was damning enough for me.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I agree with you Scott. My only problem was that something that this guy does was linked to me because he create a profile on my site. I don't defend him or his business practices in any way.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Yes, I agree guilt by association is not always valid. But if I were in your position I would delete the profile based on the info shown in this thread.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I just deleted it Scott.
    highfidelity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 10:56 AM
    All right, I wanted to get in here, ASAP to help those avoid Infinology...

I've been a customer for a number of years, and I can tell you that things were "great" at infinology until about 1 year ago, but really 6 months ago.

Before 6 months ago, the total downtime we had was maybe a couple hours over 4 years...

In the last 6 months, we've been down 3-4 days, and suffered data/e-mail loss.

In between 6 months and 1 year ago we were down several times however only a few minutes here/there, so it was tolerable, and there were no losses.

Infinology is not responding to phone calls, e-mails, trouble tickets.

I am forced to pull my services from them, and I can't possibly believe, after what I have seen here on this forum/thread, that they will recover.

It's a rough and tough world out there in the services they are providing, and clearly they have lost it.

So please don't use infinology web hosting services, they are no longer "top rated".

I would also like to suggest EVERYONE that knows anything about Infinology and or these other companies they seemed to be involved with to report to the Better Business Bureau:

Here is a quick and easy link :

Infinology related:

Company Report

Theous:

Company Report

Sophea:

Company Report

Good Luck!
    helppleasehelpplease123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Hello Michael,
    I saw your posting on ask me help desk. Somehow, unknown to me, this
    SOPHEA website got a hold of my resume and put it on the internet. Now
    My personal information is available to everyone. There is no contact
    On the website! HELP!

The website is SOPHEAjobs.com
    Someone please help me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Closing S-Corporation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We closed our business (S-Corporation) April of last year. We are incorporated in the state of Kentucky. All bills owed and taxes due have been paid. Can you tell me what we need to do to actually close the corporation. Thanks, Harry

Think we are getting scammed with trumped up charges after moving out [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Virginia. We recently moved out of an apartment that we had been renting for one 1/2 years. The apartment complex is only two years old. Since we broke the lease to buy our house, we had to pay for all of August, though someone was scheduled to move in on August 20. We were to be...

Final return - S-Corporation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am doing the final return for our Travel Agency, an S-Corporation. We closed the business April of last year as we were unable to sell it. As of the end of 2005 all that remains on the Balance Sheet is Assets - Cash $14 and Intangible Assets less Accumulated Amortization $21,729 . ...

American Business Corporation (ABC) [ 3 Answers ]

American Business Corporation (ABC) announces IDO Program through ABC Employment In August of 2005 American Business Corporation announced an Independent Division Owner program for it's employment Division ABC Employment. The program allows independent owners to license exclusive Rights...

Corporation sole, freedom or a ticket to jail? [ 2 Answers ]

There are numerous web sites touting the alleged tax immunity and asset protection features of the corporation sole, and there are numerous peddlers who would like to help relieve you of your hard-earned money. Many well-meaning but overly-trusting Christians have already been taken advantage...

View more questions Search