Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cooljack789 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
    Married, wife still in India - what's the filing status
    I came to US in Feb, 2008 and this is my first time filing taxes. I am married and my wife is still in India and she has never been to US but she has a valid H4 Visa and H4 stamp on passport.

Now can I file under Married Joint filing status? Or What status should I use?

Thanks in advance
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 09:45 PM

In your case, it is the best option to file joint return as residents. You will attach W7 (ITIN applicatin) with your tax return. You must both report your worldwide income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing status when wife & Kids are in India [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Thank you for your time in advance. I came to US on L1 in March 2008 and then converted to H1 from Oct 2008. I am still in US. My wife and kids are in India and never been to US in 2008. We came to US in 2006 and went back to India in 2007. My wife got EAD and SSN in 2006. Please let...

Filing Status, Me on H1B, wife & kids in India [ 4 Answers ]

I was reading your replies and learnt a bit about taxes. I am an Indian citizen working on H1B visa came here on 31st Aug 2008 and will be here till Dec'08 (atleast). I am married but my wife & 2 kids are still in India and they have never been to US before. Also since I will not stay here...

Wife was in India, Can I file Married Joint Filing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I was working in US throughout 2007. I went to India in December 2007 and got married. I returned to US with my wife in January 2008. My question is - Can I opt for Married Joint Filing since I got married in 2007? I would like to opt for it since it would give me better refund but I...

Tax return with married status , wife in India [ 7 Answers ]

Hi , I am on H1 visa and will be going to India to get married in Dec2007. I will be returing in feb but my wife will join me In march. My question are as follows 1> I am getting married in last month of 2007 and also my wife not be coming to US in year 2007 , Will I be able to file Taxes...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

View more questions Search