Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Insulating an exterior door
    My daughter has a steel door which goes outside to a flat roof we don't use.

Is there anything I can do to insulate the door to prevent the cold air from penetrating into her closet, which in turn makes her bedroom very cold.

Thank you.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 05:55 PM

Foam Board spot siliconed to the inside of the door and good weather stripping you can also add on top of the insulated foam board, do the same thing and put a piece of luan on top of the insulated foam board for appearances and paint that.

When you need to remove just peel off and remove the spot silicone and its back to normal

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2009, 07:59 PM

Thank you! What do you mean "spot silicone"?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:01 PM

Just put some dabs of silicone on the door, enough to hold the insul foam board.

Squeeze a small blob about the size of a quarter and 1/4 thick do that spaced out in 6 to 8 spots on the door. Duct tape it on the sides wrapped around the door close door. After it sets up remove duct tape.

The "spots" are to be enough to hold the foam board, but if ever it needs to be changed back to just a door, it will be easy to remove the silicone,its just some spots to peel way. Silicone won't get hard like reg caulk and will be easier to take of the door.

[B]Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer[/B]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Exterior Door Threshold [ 8 Answers ]

We have a door entering our basement from the exterior of the house. A threshold was never installed and as such, there is a gap, approximately 3/4" between the floor and the bottom of the door that is allowing bugs to enter the home (not to mention the cold pretty soon). Of course I'd like to...

Fiberglass Exterior Door [ 1 Answers ]

Advice needed... What kind of paint should I paint my door with? Is a water based paint.. okay to use? Where can I read step by step how to paint a fiberglass smooth exterior door? Thank you

32 exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So I need to make this fit. Where can I get another 2 inches at ? Should I rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the...

New door and jamb? EXTERIOR [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1920"s stucco home. They still have I believe, possibly the original doors. My wife wants new doors,so do I. I want to attempt to buy replacement doors with jams attached. I didn't remove anything yet,but measured jam thickness of old doors. It is larger then doors at Home Depot. ...

Paint exterior door [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my exterior door which is a metal plate on a wooden door. Before painting, I striped the old paint, sanded, cleaned, and primed the door. I then used a brush to apply a good latex exterior paint. When the paint dried it looks like it had "water spots" all over the door. ...

View more questions Search