Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gordieowuor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Youth Adoption
    I'm 21years old who seeking adoption this is due to how I find it hard to live without parents.I would not mind the country but someone who can really stand by my side and help me achieve my dream.In case you're a willing or have some information that can help my situation {e-mail removed}.Any well wishers are welcomed.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:16 AM

You cannot be adopted as an adult.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2009, 10:22 AM

Actually it is possible to be adopted as an adult. But this is rare and is generally only done for purposes of inheritance.
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Mar 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
    I think it was on Oprah that had a story about this. People actually put out personal adds looking for parents. It was really interesting.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:55 AM

There are alternatives to adoption for someone who is an adult.

Get involved in a local senior center. Join a church. Get involved with volunteering.

You can't replace your parents--it's very hard to create that kind of relationship, especially as an adult. You CAN, however, meet friends and people who can become a support system for you without an adoption taking place.
    AlpineAnnie Posts: 77, Reputation: 13

Mar 18, 2009, 04:21 AM
    In my state an adult can be adopted by another adult provided that: 1. There is some relation to each other; or 2. the adult to be adopted has resided in the home for 2 years in a parent/child relationship. Only the adult to be adopted needs to give permission for the adoption.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineAnnie View Post
    In my state an adult can be adopted by another adult provided that: 1. There is some relation to each other; or 2. the adult to be adopted has resided in the home for 2 years in a parent/child relationship. Only the adult to be adopted needs to give permission for the adoption.
    It may be possible, but what is the point? An adult is not responsible for or to an adult child.
    AlpineAnnie Posts: 77, Reputation: 13

Mar 18, 2009, 05:27 AM
    In the original poster's question, the point was stated: they want a family. They are orphaned. While the person may be an adult, the wish for a family doesn't just disappear. We have mostly adult children in my family and they still need parenting at times. As for what the point may be for a family to adopt an "adult", that can vary as well. Maybe the family just has a generous heart and room for one more "child", regardless of their age. Eventually the OP will possibly marry and have children. The adoptive family would then be the extended family for love and support. The OP would have a family to go to for holidays, events, sadness, advice and to raid their pantry. Many children that are orphaned are released from state care at the age of 18. I doubt that most of them are ready to face the world on their own. My children certainly weren't able to do that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    It may be possible, but what is the point? An adult is not responsible for or to an adult child.

I had the same reaction. But there are some reasons. The main one is inheritance. Even though you don't need to adopt to include someone in one's will, it does make a difference. There are also emotional reasons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax form for youth baseball team [ 3 Answers ]

Which tax form should my youth baseball team use for opening a checking account and to use when getting donation?

Was socrates considered a corrupter of youth? [ 1 Answers ]

Was socrates considered a corrupter of the youth? Why or why not ?

What has happened to our youth? [ 18 Answers ]

Every time I read a question from a young teen who is scared of being pregnant or that wants to have sex I feel really sad. I don't know how u all feel about it but I think this nation has really gone to he11. Sex should be shared by two people in love not two kids in heat. These kids are our...

Youth today! [ 6 Answers ]

Am I the only one today is a little taken back by the ignorance of the youth today when it deals with their own body, sexuality birth control and morality? What do you think?

Are women in charge of youth problem [ 4 Answers ]

"The position of women in society has changed markedly in the last twenty years. Many of the problems young people now experience, such as juvenule delinquency, arise from the fact that many married women now work and are not at home to care for their children." :throwball: What do you think...

View more questions Search