Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minup_123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Taxes on cpt/opt--joint filing
    Hi all

I was CPT/OPT last year and my employer cut my medicare and ssn taxes.Me and my husband(He is on H1) are filing taxes jointly so we both are considered ky residents.Am I still eligible for for no tax on medicare and ssn.Also when we are filing jointly we have no option to mention that I was on cpt/opt last year.Any ideas on how to get a refund.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Yes, you are still exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes even if you file jointly with your husband; see link below.

Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married Filing Separately - Spouse non-resident, not filing you.s. Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is a Canadian resident. We got married in the US in April 2008. We are separated and did not live together during the 2008 tax year and my husband has never lived in the US and has never earned any US income. I am planning to file...

F-1 + H-1 Joint filing or separate filing? [ 2 Answers ]

I am an F-1 student eligible to file resident taxes married to a H-1 person. To get the maximum refund is it adviable to file jointly or separately? Also, my wife was in California for 6 months while the company was in Texas and sent paychecks as TX resident. Should I file CA state taxes? ...

Joint Filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I got married in Dec 2006 in india and my wife joined me in US only in Jan 2007. I am on a H1B and my wife joined me on a H4. Here are my Questions, a. Do I need to File for Joint Return (2006) ? (which also means that I need to apply for a ITIN along with my federal) ? b....

H-4 , W-7 taxes tax filing as married joint [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how long does it take to get the ITIN # if file today.(Mar 15th). I am on H-1 visa and wife is on H4 Visa, and while filing for taxes as married joint filing, came to know that wife should have ITIN number. Can anyone tell where to get this ITIN number and how long does it take,...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search