Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkh Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Feb 25, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Allergies & russian blues/mix
    I have always been a cat person and would really like one, the problem is my husband is mildly allergic. It's not severe his eyes will water and his nose will get a little runny around certain cats, not all cats.

Sometimes all it takes is walking in a room with one, then there are others that don't bother him. I have read that russian blues produce less fel d 1(?) which is what cause peoples allergies. So we want to give one a try.

My question is do russian blue mixes also produce less fel d 1? I really prefer to get a cat from the shelter and they usually have one or two mixes there. I am going to try and get my hubby to sit down with one separate from the rest of the cats, but just wondered if anyone knew from personal experience or had any advice on the subject, or any cat that may work for us? Thanks!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 05:18 PM

I can identify with your situation. I am a huge cat person, and I've never been able to imagine my life without them. Most unfortunately (indescribably so), I started to become allergic to cats in my early 20's.

My mother had become allergic to cats about ten years before. We had two Siamese cats at that time, but not one of us would have ever accepted the prospect of giving them away. The haunting idea was simply that we wouldn't be able to get any more cats after our two girls passed away. Well, my mom's allergies got a little better over time, and we moved into a house that was so large and open that she didn't have much to worry about in terms of air circulation. So after we lost our old cats to old age, I was allowed to adopt a Persian kitten. Actually, we wound up with two Persian cats and a rescue stray with crossed eyes, and a hooked and broken tail, who we suspect was most likely a Siamese-Lynx. We also had a great Golden Retriever in the mix, and no one in the house was allergic to dogs.

So, fast-forward to the time where my allergies started. It wasn't just me. My mother's allergies, which were annoying but not severe, had subsided greatly, but my sister also began developing a cat allergy. My allergies were somewhat like those you described in your husband, realizing themselves mostly as sneezing and red, itchy eyes. My sister's, though, were worse. The general solution was to keep the cats out of the bedrooms, although I can't say I was ever able to follow that rule. Despite the allergies, my cat slept with me on my pillows, literally with paw in hand.

Relating to your story, there was a noticeable and somewhat significant difference between my reaction (and my sister's) to the Persians and to our short-haired cat. The Persians gave us both less allergic reactions than did the short-hair. The key word, though, is less. The allergies were still there.

I never went for shots, but I did get tested. I tried using air filters, special bedding, allergy meds, eye drops. The drops and meds helped to some extent, but the allergies were always there. Again, giving the cats up was not an option I would even begin to consider. This last year, the two last cats, one of whom I had living with me and the other who stayed at home, also passed on from old age.

In time, I knew I had to have another pet in my life. I really wanted another cat, but I also had to be honest and realistic about the situation. If I were to consciously adopt another cat, I could have been signing up for allergies for up to the next 15-20 years. From the outside, it looks like it might not have been a hard choice to make, but it was heartbreaking. I decided that it wasn't a smart choice (and in my situation, I'm heading into the years in which I'm likely to have children; that was the biggest influence, as I decided that it would be a very bad idea for me to likely be suffering from otherwise avoidable allergies through potential pregnancies). I also love dogs, and I'm not allergic to them. After careful consideration, I decided that I would adopt a dog, and not a cat. I really miss having cats in my life, but I can't say I have any regrets in my decision. I love my dog more than words can express, and I can breathe normally again.

One thing that you and your husband should consider (and obviously bring up with his allergist) is that allergies can sometimes become more severe with exposure. Some people even develop asthma from their allergies. I imagine that you're confident that you would never have to rehome a cat you take in, but you ought to also consider the possibility that your husband's allergies could take an unpredictable turn that could have a much more severe affect on his heath. I really hope that never happens, but you need to be honest about all of the possibilities out there. Some people, like my mother, eventually pull completely out of their allergies. You just can't predict or count on those things. Your husband might really benefit from allergy shots; again, it's something to talk about with his doctor.

If I were you, even though you plan to adopt from a shelter or a rescue (applause! It's the best thing you can do), I think it would still be a very good idea to visit the home of a Russian Blue breeder or rescue and hang out there for at least an hour or two to see if your husband's allergies react. Just holding one, as you described, and especially if you're outside and not in an enclosed space, probably won't give you the most accurate picture possible.

There are supposedly "real" hypoallergenic cats out there that go for about 4 grand and take about 2 years to get once you're on the waiting list. Others claim their cats are hypoallergenic because they don't have fur, but it's really not always true that they won't create a reaction. Saliva and the dander are the biggest culprits. You'll need to speak with your doctor for more suggestions.

The last option, if you're aching for a pet and if your hubby is not allergic to all animals, would be to get another kind of pet instead. This might mean a dog, a rabbit, a pig, a guinea pig... they all make for great pets. Obviously, you would need to be very sure and totally educated before adopting any animal into your lives, but it's something to consider.

I wish you all the best, and I would love an update from you as your story progresses! Good luck!
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Mar 9, 2009, 08:28 PM

I have allergies and cats I find that bathing them helps, of course you have to get them used to being bathed as kittens but it helps also an Ion filter works great. I don't like to think about live without cats or dogs ( I have both).
    Glylilyoung Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 07:49 PM

I have a cat and I have cat allergies too, when I was little, it was REALLY bad.
    But now, its pretty mild. I'm not sure how come though.

But I highly suggest for you to not get the cat, because my case is still a mystery to me, and I doubt its common.
    Also many, many pets get put to adoption cause they simply just "Can't take it anymore"
    I know cause that's how I got my dog, his previous owners also had a husband, but he was allergic to dogs.

I'd suggest get another type of animal if you really want one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Allergies [ 1 Answers ]

My healthy 9 year old Maltese woke up with red marks on her belly and biting her paws and scratching a lot. She threw up yellow foam this morning and won't eat. What could be wrong with her?

Dog Allergies [ 1 Answers ]

My questions is I have a 17 month old pitbull who I think has allergies. Sometimes his little neck, ears, eyes, and under body gets red.Also runny nose. What shold I do for him other than allergy pills?? :(

Allergies? [ 3 Answers ]

I know when you have a piercing infection you have to keep the ring on and clean it more and press it with hot water , but what if its not a infection but it's a allergic reaction to the jewellery what are you supposed to do ?

Nut Allergies [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old nephew who is allergic to nuts. I do not know as to how severe it is, but my sister said the doctor told her to always keep an epi shot on hand just in case. I am also getting ready to build a house on a 14 acre parcel and there are a lot of walnut trees on the tract of land. ...

Allergies [ 4 Answers ]

:( I have horrible allergies and I was just wondering if anyone knows any medicines that work well? I'm currently on Singulair and it isn't helping much. I have been on so many different kinds of allergy medications, but none seem to be working. I have missed several days of school because I have...

View more questions Search