Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goat1of2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Unusual Dishwasher Installation
    I'm beginning the process of installing a dishwasher in our 55 year old house. It cannot be placed next to the sink, but all the lines, including electric are located right underneath the floor where the dishwasher will go. So, through the floor I will go.

1) Must I run the electric cable and the plumbing pipes through separate holes through the floor or can everybody share? (Water and electricity side by side--sounds risky.)

2) Once under the floor, I need to connect to a 2" PVC drain which comes from the sink on its way to the main. How to create the air gap so that I won't get stuff backwashing up from the sink? Can I loop the drain hose up above the PVC (making my own J trap) before attaching to the PVC? Since I will be selling the house someday, I don't want to be too far from code.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2006, 10:13 AM
    Hey Goat,
    1) Must I run the electric cable and the plumbing pipes through separate holes through the floor or can everybody share? (Water and electricity side by side--sounds risky.)
    To be safe I would make separate holes for the water and power.

2) Once under the floor, I need to connect to a 2" PVC drain which comes from the sink on its way to the main. How to create the air gap so that I won't get stuff backwashing up from the sink? Can I loop the drain hose up above the PVC (making my own J trap) before attaching to the PVC?

You MAY NOT connect directly to a drainage line with out a "P" trap and vent. This would open a direct line from the sewer into your home. The loop you describe is not a "P" trap but a drip loop, (this takes the place of a air gap). More about that later.
    How far will the Dishwasher set from the sink? Unless you want to get into installing a new drain,trap and a vent out the roof you'll run the DW discharge this way.
    First make sure the hose is long enough to reach the sink. Next loop the hose all the way up as high as it will go and secure it with a pipe strap. Now run the hose over to the garbage disposal and connect it to the male opening with a hose clamp. (A word of caution, punch out the insert before connecting) If you don't have a disposal then purchase a branch tail piece and replace the existing tail piece and connect to that. Sound like a plan?
    Regards, Tom
    goat1of2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 04:10 AM
    Thank you for keeping me from making a major mistake! Since I do not want to rip up any existing cabinets, the dishwasher drain line would be well over 12 feet long before it gets to the sink. I'm afraid the pump in your average cheapo dishwasher may not have the oomph to make it.

However, many years back, when I wanted a washing machine in the basement, a licensed plumber did install the Ptrap and vent you describe. He tapped right into the main sewer line. Now I'm thinking of running the dishwasher drain to it as well. Since it is downhill of where the dishwasher drain will appear under the kitchen floor, gravity will assist.

By the way, I tried your tip about unclogging the "siphon hole" in the toilet bowl. (I put on a disposable latex glove.) The toilet has NEVER flushed so well. Thank you thank you!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 23, 2006, 04:47 AM
    " Many years back, when I wanted a washing machine in the basement, a licensed plumber did install the Ptrap and vent you describe. He tapped right into the main sewer line. Now I'm thinking of running the dishwasher drain to it as well. Since it is downhill of where the dishwasher drain will appear under the kitchen floor, gravity will assist."

That works for me. Just loop the hose up as high as you can under the cabinert for a air gap and to prevrent backflow. Once looped up, secure the hose with a pipe strap.

"By the way, I tried your tip about unclogging the "siphon hole" in the toilet bowl. (I put on a disposable latex glove.) The toilet has NEVER flushed so well. Thank you thank you!"

You're welcome, welcome! Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unusual bleeding [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 30 year old woman and newly married.Usually my periods comes on time and never gave me a trouble.I got my last period on August 21st and it last for about 6-7 days.Then I had few intercourses with my husband and we never used any protection.Yesterday (2nd September)he ejaculated in me and...

Unusual cat behavior [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female tabby cat that is and always has been a loving cat. She lives with us on 6 acres partially wooded. She came in the house after being out for a few hours. She started acting strangely in way of getting up and down out of my lap - meowing very loudly and very suddenly...

Unusual spotting [ 11 Answers ]

I have been spotting since July 1st off and on my period is due this week still hasn't shown up I went to the docs yesterday had a urine test it came up negative I have to go back Friday for a ultra sound and a pelvic exam but I think 12 days of spotting is very odd I have never spotted that long...

Unusual blinking [ 5 Answers ]

Our daughter is 3 and a half years old, and just a couple of weeks ago, she has started to have this unusual blinking. When she blinks sometimes, she really scrunches her eyes, sort of in an exaggerated way, using a lot of facial movement. Could this be her straining to see, or is this the...

Unusual divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am in a very unusual situation, I've currently been separated for almost 8months now and I have a no contact with the wife and the children. The court in the temporary hearing said I was to pay alimony on top of child support but there isn't anything stateing alimony but is being withheld...

View more questions Search