Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fattybum4444 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2009, 11:54 AM
    new internet cable = not enough MTU for xbox live?
    Hi
    I got a brand new 40m internet cable to use with my xbox360 and computer upstairs (the modem is downstairs). When I try to connect to xbox live, an error message appears saying "your network doesn't have a sufficient MTU setting" - xbox live has a minimum MTU setting of 1364. I have checked on my sky modem settings and the MTU is set to 1500, well above the minimum for xbox live.
    I can use the old cable I have (which is a bit too short) with no problems at all...
    Is this because of the cable I got or can I fix it?:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:52 PM

The cable is bad. Flaky to be exact. Get a new CAT 6 cable and throw that one away.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Well if you can use your old cable then I would sugggest it's the new cable causing the issue. You said your cable was 40M or 40 ft. If it's 40 Meters then your packets could be attenuating as they progress down the cable.

It shouldn't be because the max cable lentgh on a Cat5 is 365ft so that shouldn't be the issue. Is the new cable pinched off anywhere I know you're running it upstairs and doorways and stuff.

I would suggest buying a new cable as well.

Rick
    Attached Images

fattybum4444 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2009, 01:12 PM

Cool thanks 4 your help :) looks like I'm buying a new cable this weekend

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Xbox live [ 1 Answers ]

Well I try to get on xbox live today and it logs me on and says I have to agree to a new terms of use to get on and start playing games. So I select the view terms of use and it starts to take me to the page but once it starts to load it kicks me off and says that I am no longer connected. I can't...

Xbox Live & Satilite Internet [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I am getting an Xbox 360 and I wanted to know if you were able to play multiplayer games over the connection. I have service from wildblue and I peak at 1.5mbps Down 256k Up, but average 756k Down 128 Up. Does anyone know? Thanks, -SR2K

How to set up Xbox live [ 9 Answers ]

I have most of the info...

GTA 4 on xbox live [ 2 Answers ]

I just got the new GTA 4... I turn on my xbox360... it goes straight to the game, so I sign into the xbox dashboard... and I put in my 4 digit code to sign into xbox live! OK... so after signing into xbox live, why does it not let me play the game online?? Somebody please have an answer!! Aaaahhhh....

View more questions Search