Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Really? Why don't you show us your interpretation of the words in the context. Personally, I thought Jesus explained it quite clearly.
    Tom, Tom, Tom. *sigh* We've been around that block so many times already on this board. You certainly will not change your mind, nor will I change mine.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Tom, Tom, Tom. *sigh* We've been around that block so many times already on this board. You certainly will not change your mind, nor will I change mine.
    As you wish - you made the claim - if you are not willing to back up your claim, that is your choice.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:38 PM

Mt.5.28 says that lust is a sin. And so it is. What does that have to do with homosexuality? If anyone, gay or straight, were to lust that person would be committing a sin. I don't see how Mt.5.28 is at all relevant to any issue concerning homosexuality as distinct from heterosexuality. It's just telling us not to lust. Period.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    Mt.5.28 says that lust is a sin. And so it is. What does that have to do with homosexuality?
    Wondergirl said that the act of homosexuality was the issue not the orientation.

Jesus made quite a point of pointing out that the sin starts well before the act, and this is an example. Or do you think that lust is an act?

I don't see how Mt.5.28 is at all relevant to any issue concerning homosexuality as distinct from heterosexuality.
    I did not say that it did. Read what I said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, scripture is clear that an orientation towards sin is also sin.

Scripture says:

1 Cor 6:9-11
    9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
    NKJV

To suggest that would be like saying that an adulterer can be a Christian if he does not act out on it, but only lusts.

Jesus Said:

Matt 5:28
    28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
    NKJV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Jesus made quite a point of pointing out that the sin starts well before the act, and this is an example. Or do you think that lust is an act?
    Sure it's an act. Not all acts involve moving ones limbs. Thought-acts are definitely acts. Reading is an act, thinking is an act, concentrating is an act, praying is an act.

And Mt.5.28 says that lust is a sin even if you don't have intercourse with the person you're lusting after. It doesn't make the more general claim, which are are ascribing to it, to wit, that "the sin starts well before the act". Even if we suppose that lust is not itself an act, all Mt.5.28 is saying in that case is that the non-act of lust is a sin. It makes no general claim of the sort you are asserting.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Sure it's an act. Not all acts involve moving ones limbs. Thought-acts are definitely acts. Reading is an act, thinking is an act, concentrating is an act, praying is an act.
    And since a lustful desire is an act (according to your definition - which differs from most), so must a homosexual desire then, using your definition.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
    And since a lustful desire is an act (according to your definition - which differs from most), so must a homosexual desire then, using your definition.
    I don't accept the synomyny you've introduced. Lust and desire aren't the same thing. Think of it as a Venn Diagram: Lust is a sub-set of desire; all lust is a kind of desire, but not all desire is lust.

I would say this: Any lust, whether it be heterosexual or homosexual or (heaven forbid!) bestial is a sin. I don't think the sinfulness of lust depends upon the object of the lust (man, woman, animal) but on the character of the lustful desire itself. In other words, it is the quality and not the object of the desire that makes it lustful. If the desire has a certain intensity to it, if the subject of the desire yields to it, leans into it instead of resisting it, then it is a lustful desire and hence sinful. Not all sexual desire counts as lust, of course. And this is one prima facie reason to suppose that it is not the object of desire that makes it lustful.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:33 PM
    I don't accept the synomyny you've introduced. Lust and desire aren't the same thing.
    Interesting. If lust is not a desire, what is it?

Think of it as a Venn Diagram: Lust is a sub-set of desire; all lust is a kind of desire, but not all desire is lust.
    Exactly what I said - Lust is a desire.

Any lust, whether it be heterosexual or homosexual or (heaven forbid!) bestial is a sin.
    Agreed. Just as any sinful desire would also be a sin.

I don't think the sinfulness of lust depends upon the object of the lust (man, woman, animal) but on the character of the lustful desire itself.
    You seem to be trying to distract away from speaking about desire, to focus in on the specific, ignoring what I said about the fact that it was merely an example of a sinful desire.

Or do you think that a desire for something sinful is not sinful? Can you give an example of a righteous desire for sin?
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:43 PM
    Interesting. If lust is not a desire, what is it?
    As I said, lust is a kind of desire. There are other kinds of desires besides lust.

Exactly what I said - Lust is a desire.
    Right, lust is one kind of desire. Draw a circle and label it "desire". This will represent the set of all desires. Now inside that circle draw another, smaller circle. This second circle will represent the set of all lustful desires. That is a Venn Diagram.

Agreed. Just as any sinful desire would also be a sin.
    Well, that's just true by definition, isn't it? A sinful desire is, by definition, a sin.

You seem to be trying to distract away from speaking about desire, to focus in on the specific, ignoring what I said about the fact that it was merely an example of a sinful desire.
    I'm not trying to distract from anything. Mt.5.28, which you quoted, doesn't use the word "desire"; it uses the word "lust". It says that lust is a sin. My point is that you cannot read off from that any more general claim about desire, since it speaks only of one particular type of desire, namely lust.

Or do you think that a desire for something sinful is not sinful? Can you give an example of a righteous desire for sin?
    Again, by definition, a sinful desire is sinful. Lust is a sin. But Mt.5.28 doesn't say anything except that lust is a sin. You are interpolating the rest. Now this is something you've often cautioned against, so you shouldn't do it yourself. Mt.5.28 doesn't say anything about orientation or about desire in general. It only talks about lust.

I have pointed out to you that what makes a desire lustful isn't the object of the desire but the quality of the desire. If you have a problem with that, by all means explain the error your take me to have made.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:59 PM
    As I said, lust is a kind of desire. There are other kinds of desires besides lust.
    Good - I got you off the single focus on lust into the topic of desire.

Well, that's just true by definition, isn't it? A sinful desire is, by definition, a sin.
    And since homosexual act is a sin, a desire for a homosexual act (homosexuality) is a sin.

Now you got it!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
    a desire for a homosexual act (homosexuality) is a sin.
    Homosexuality isn't a desire.

I can desire a banana. There is no sin in that desire. The banana isn't sinful, nor is the wish for one.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
    450donn,
    I agree except that some people are homosexual but do not practice that life style simply because they know it is wrong.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Homosexuality isn't a desire.
    Really? So homosexuality has nothing to do with a man's sexual desire for another man?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    homosexuality

sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex.

Origin:
    1890–95; homo- + sexuality
    Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Good - I got you off the single focus on lust into the topic of desire.

And since homosexual act is a sin, a desire for a homosexual act (homosexuality) is a sin.

Now you got it!
    This doesn't follow from anything I've said. All lust is a sin, whether it is homosexual or heterosexual. If acts of homosexuality are a sin, it doesn't follow that the desire for homosexual sex is a sin. And MT.5.28 doesn't say otherwise. It speaks only about lust. Not all desire for sex is lustful, I'm sure you'd agree. Or are you guilty of the sin of lust every time you make love with your wife?

So why did you cite Mt.5.28? It talks only about lust. It certainly doesn't tell us that the desire for sex is in each case lustful. Neither does it tell us that the desire for homosexual sex is lustful. If a desire for sex is lustful, then and only then is the person guilty of sin.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:14 PM
    This doesn't follow from anything I've said. All lust is a sin, whether it is homosexual or heterosexual.
    Ah, I see that you are back talking about lust rather than desire, which is the point that I was making.

If acts of homosexuality are a sin, it doesn't follow that the desire for homosexual sex is a sin.
    Really? Can you show me in scripture where we are told that it is possible to have a righteous desire for something which is sinful? (2nd time of asking)
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:19 PM
    Ah, I see that you are back talking about lust rather than desire, which is the point that I was making.
    Back? I never left. My whole point has been that Mt.5.28 is talking only about lust. You, however, seem to think it's saying something about desire in general. The text doesn't license this interpretation, though.

Really? Can you show me in scripture where we are told that it is possible to have a righteous desire for something which is sinful? (2nd time of asking)
    Well, I'm not sure what the phrase "righteous desire" means. Can you show me a place in Scripture where that phrase is defined?
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
    Back? I never left. My whole point has been that Mt.5.28 is talking only about lust. You, however, seem to think it's saying something about desire in general. The text doesn't license this interpretation, though.
    You seem fixated on an example of a desire, rather than dealing with what I was referring to, which was sinful desires.

Well, I'm not sure what the phrase "righteous desire" means. Can you show me a place in Scripture where that phrase is defined?
    I sense that this discussion is heading towards being useless. Check out the words meanings in a dictionary if you don't know what they mean.

It appears to me that this is a way of avoiding the question. I understand.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:35 PM
    You seem fixated on an example of a desire, rather than dealing with what I was referring to, which was sinful desires.
    I am fixated on Mt.5.28, which you brought up. And it mentions only lust.

I sense that this discussion is heading towards being useless. Check out the words meanings in a dictionary if you don't know what they mean.
    Well, you used them! If you don't know what the words you use mean how on earth is anyone else supposed to?

It appears to me that this is a way of avoiding the question. I understand.
    If you say so. The only question that I'm aware of having left unanswered is the one to do with "righteous desires". But when I asked you what that means you said you don't know yourself, so I don't know how I was supposed to answer it.

If you ever figure out what you mean by "righteous desire" let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to bed.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
    I am fixated on Mt.5.28, which you brought up. And it mentions only lust.
    Go back and read the context as to why it was brought up. I copied and pasted it a second time. A third should not be necessary.

Well, you used them! If you don't know what the words you use mean how on earth is anyone else supposed to?
    English is a language common to several billion people. Dictionaries make it easy to understand each other in the English language. If you wish to avoid discussing the point, you have the right not to discuss it, but don't waste my time because you wish to avoid a dictionary. We went through this in our last discussion.

You tell us that it is possible to have a desire for sin without sinning but don't wish to, or cannot tell us where scripture gives an example of a righteous desire for sin.

That is fine, we can leave it there if you wish.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 11:47 PM
    It seems to me that a person can have a none sinful desire or a sinful desire.
    Lust is a sinful desire if one lusts for someone other than his wife.
    A desire to partake of the Eucharist is a none sinful desire.
    That is what I believe.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search