Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    And yet, what did John the Baptist wear?
    I have all cotton on today, how about you?
    Cotton shoes?
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    The New Testament says nothing about those laws SPECIFIC to Israel, as Jesus fulfilled all of them perfectly.
    New Testament - Galatians

5:19-21
    Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Jesus fulfilled all that was written. By coming as the Grace of Our Father, The begotten Son of God. "The Word made Flesh"

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

Love for Love

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Walk in the Spirit ... Christ is the Way

Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Leviticus 18:22 You shall lot lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination (NAS) Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable practice. (NLT)
    Leviticus 18:30 Thus you are to keep My charge that you do not practice any of the abominable customs which have been practiced before you, so that you do not defile yourselves with them; I am the Lord your God. (NAS)
    So be careful to obey my laws, and do not practice any of these detestable activities. Do not defile yourselves by doing any of them, for I, the Lord am your God. (NLT)
    So if I am reading this correctly how can anybody who claims to be a christian also be homosexual?
    There can be people who are homosexual and Christian. When a homosexual first comes to Christ, he may still struggle a bit at first, but if he is truly saved, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit will begin to change his desires to be more in line with what God would have him be. Thus, he still be a homosexual when first saved, but if truly saved, he will not stay that way. We see examples of those who were once homosexuals at the church in Corint, who were saved through being saved:

1 Cor 6:9-11
    9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
    NKJV
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Garment = clothes, no? What is a garment to you?
    You are sinning if you wear cotton/polyester mix.
    NeedKarma, Christians are not under the law:

1 Tim 1:9-11
    9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust.
    NKJV

Gal 3:19-25
    19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one. 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
    NKJV
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Christians are not under the law:
    Scripture says those who walk in the spirit are not under the law. The spirit of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law .

A Christian is a following of Christ, who may be on the path toward righteousness in use of the tutor to bring them to Christ, that they might be justified by faith.

Would you not agree with this?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Therefore a christian can indeed be a homosexual.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Yes, for a period, but a homosexual who is truly saved will not stay a homosexual.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Scripture says those who walk in the spirit are not under the law. The spirit of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law .

A Christian is a following of Christ, who may be on the path toward righteousness in use of the tutor to bring them to Christ, that they might be justified by faith.

Would you not agree with this?
    If I understand your intent, no I would not fully agree. 1 Tim 1:9 says that the law is not for a righteous person, and Gal 5:18 says that if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Therefore those who are in Christ, who have His righteousness imputed to them are no longer under the tutor "the law". In part, the reason is because to be under law also means that we would be judged by the law, and by the covering of the righteousness of Christ that comes when we are saved.

I think that you are referring to the sanctification of the believer, and I certainly agree that we are growing after being saved to become more like Christ, and to become more the person that we ought to be, but right from the moment atht we are saved, we are righteousness through His righteousness. We will never be righteous by our own righteousness no matter how much we grow.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 11:45 AM
    If I understand your intent, no I would not fully agree. 1 Tim 1:9 says that the law is not for a righteous person, and Gal 5:18 says that if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Therefore those who are in Christ, who have His righteousness imputed to them are no longer under the tutor "the law".
    My intent is that of (Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. KJV)

As I said, Scripture says those who walk in the spirit are not under the law. Gal 5:19 The spirit of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law .

So is your answer still No, or do you see where we agree ?I have said the same word as I said before, and you can Quote me on that.

I think that you are referring to the sanctification of the believer, and I certainly agree that we are growing after being saved to become more like Christ, and to become more the person that we ought to be,
    When we become sanctified in Christ, we have been washed in water of The Word that we drink, the Living Water (John 4:14). The same as Christ had santified the church shown in scripture Eph 5:26-27. So I believe we have had the law put into our hearts and mind by Christ. (Hebrews 10:16)

but right from the moment atht we are saved, we are righteousness through His righteousness. We will never be righteous by our own righteousness no matter how much we grow.
    I agree

Let's go back to what you said
    I certainly agree that we are growing after being saved to become more like Christ, and to become more the person that we ought to be,
    The word saved is what causes my thoughts to search, and want to reproof what is meant.

We are saved, I feel when we trust in Our Father's Truth, and we accept Christ Jesus as the begotten Son of God, and we fear the Lord by His understand of all that is written, in The Living Word, and being sancified in Christ Jesus.

So it brings to mind those that are weak, knowing that a weak following Christian would grow from the weakness in the flesh, yet the spirit is willing. Would you agree?
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 12:15 PM
    My intent is that of (Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. KJV)

As I said, Scripture says those who walk in the spirit are not under the law. Gal 5:19 The spirit of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law .

So is your answer still No, or do you see where we agree ?I have said the same word as I said before, and you can Quote me on that.
    This is the comment that I was saying that it appeared that I disagreed with:

"A Christian is a following of Christ, who may be on the path toward righteousness in use of the tutor to bring them to Christ, that they might be justified by faith."

It appeared to me that you were saying that we still needed the tutor (the law) to progress towards righteousness. If that was not your intent than we are probably close to agreement.

Let's go back to what you said The word saved is what causes my thoughts to search, and want to reproof what is meant.

We are saved, I feel when we trust in Our Father's Truth, and we accept Christ Jesus as the begotten Son of God, and we fear the Lord by His understand of all that is written, in The Living Word, and being sancified in Christ Jesus.

So it brings to mind those that are weak, knowing that a weak following Christian would grow from the weakness in the flesh, yet the spirit is willing. Would you agree?
    I would not entirely agree with this, if I undersatnd your intent. I don't agree that we wopuld necessarily understand all that is written, but rather what is important is that we understand an received in whole the truth of the gospel itself.

Past that I agree that it is a growth process, and that is what I was referring to when I said that when one first receives Christ, we may yet be weak in some areas, but He will change us.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 26, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Lev. 17 is different from Lev. 19?
    Not sure what you are asking.

Lev. Ch 18 is the one dealing with sexual sins, and it SPECIFIALLY says that the nations Israel was to disposess were guilty of these sins.

Lev 18:24-25
    24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
    25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.
    (KJV)

Those sundry laws given in ch 17 and 19 were given to Israel only. It was a part of the body of civil law. There is no evidence that these laws were binding on anyone else, unless of course, they chose to live in Israel.

Feb 26, 2009, 01:49 PM
    No. A Christian can be a FORMER homosexual, just like he can be a former adulterer, thief, or murderer. Just as you cannot continue to be a bank robber, just so you cannot continue to PRACTICE homosexual acts.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:05 PM
    I would not entirely agree with this, if I undersatnd your intent. I don't agree that we wopuld necessarily understand all that is written, but rather what is important is that we understand an received in whole the truth of the gospel itself.
    My intent can be quoted:we fear the Lord by His understand of all that is written, in The Living Word,

We fear the Lord... and that fear rest upon His = The Lord's understand of all that is written. = His judgement.

I can agree with received the whole truth of the gospel itself, because it goes back to belief in The Word = Christ = Word made Flesh
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:32 PM
    No. A Christian can be a FORMER homosexual, just like he can be a former adulterer, thief, or murderer. Just as you cannot continue to be a bank robber, just so you cannot continue to PRACTICE homosexual acts.
    The reason I have said we can not judge each other, but rather show love, is because it is written to love. Walk in the spirit of Christ.

Christ came to save who?

And I can bet you know plenty of Christians, who are following the teaching of Christ, and yet they themselve find it difficult to love everyone. Satan would love to teach us to hate..

Each individual needs to decide who they hear.. satan (or) the voice of Christ

In this discussion, I am not saying we yoke ourselves to those that do error, but if we are yoked to Christ, we show that as our example.

Christian are everywhere but not all christians are sanctified in Christ. We are not the Judge!

As a servant of God be the example..

~child of God
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Let's try that again. A homosexual can be a Christian but not acting out his homosexuality.

Human sexuality is fluid. One is a homosexual or a heterosexual or a bisexual or transgender or indeterminate gender or is somewhere else along the Likert scake of sexuality.

Feb 26, 2009, 04:28 PM
    The reason I have said we can not judge each other, but rather show love, is because it is written to love. Walk in the spirit of Christ.

Christ came to save who?

And I can bet you know plenty of Christians, who are following the teaching of Christ, and yet they themselve find it difficult to love everyone. Satan would love to teach us to hate..

Each individual needs to decide who they hear.. satan (or) the voice of Christ

In this discussion, I am not saying we yoke ourselves to those that do error, but if we are yoked to Christ, we show that as our example.

Christian are everywhere but not all christians are sanctified in Christ. We are not the Judge!

As a servant of God be the example..

~child of God
    Surely you do not mean that one can be saved one week and be found committing overt sin (of any kind) next week and still claim to be saved?
    I don't believe it.

John 8:34-36
    34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
    35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
    36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
    (KJV)
    Free from what if not sin?

Rom 6:17-18
    17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
    (KJV)
    A servant of righteousness does not commit overt sin.

I could give you a lot more verses, but that would become tiresome for some reading this.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Surely you do not mean that one can be saved one week and be found committing overt sin (of any kind) next week and still claim to be saved?
    I did not say a homosexual was saved. I did not say all that call themselves Christians are saved. And I would not judge the heart of anyone...
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Let's try that again. A homosexual can be a Christian but not acting out his homosexuality.
    No, scripture is clear that an orientation towards sin is also sin.

Scripture says:

1 Cor 6:9-11
    9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
    NKJV

To suggest that would be like saying that an adulterer can be a Christian if he does not act out on it, but only lusts.

Jesus Said:

Matt 5:28
    28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
    NKJV
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
    No, scripture is clear that an orientation towards sin is also sin.
    No, it isn't. Your understanding of the words in that passage is incorrect.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:02 PM
    No, it isn't. Your understanding of the words in that passage is incorrect.
    Really? Why don't you show us your interpretation of the words in the context. Personally, I thought Jesus explained it quite clearly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search