Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildhourse40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
    How do I hook up a router
    I HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET on my computer I need to know how to hook up the router so my daughter can have it on her as well
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 09:58 AM

Can you give us the Brand and the Model number of your router. That will make it simpler to tell you how to hook it up.
    bl117 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 01:09 PM

In most cases when you purchase a new router it comes with fairly easy to understand instructions. Have you read them?
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 25, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildhourse40 View Post
    I HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET on my computer i need to know how to hook up the router so my daughter can have it on her as well

When you say you have wireless internet on your computer, are you saying that you have something like the Verizon wireless card adapter connected to your computer? Or are you saying you already have a router that's broadcasting a wireless signal to your computer?

Your question, while a good question, is vague in supporting information so the answers will be just as if not more vague until we have more information regarding your setup.

IF you have a verizon wireless card adapter that connects directly to your computer and gets you online, you CAN NOT share this signal between computers, this is a single computer unit use only.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 04:24 PM

Are you receiving an Internet Connection now?

If so then how?

Setting up the router is different per Brand, read the directions!
    alex5469 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 03:04 AM
    I agree with most the recent response it would help to know what brand of router you have. Most companies like Belkin, D-Link and Netgear are pretty easy to set up. Another thing that would also is you daughter computer set-up for hook up wired/ wireless for a router to be used. If she doesn't have ethernet port on back of her computer (which look like hole that you plug your phone in but slightly bigger) or doesn't have USB port in the front or back of the computer, then her computer can't be link to router until you add one or both these components. The ethernet port will let her computer be hooked the computer via an ethernet link with your. If she had a usb port then all you need is an adaptor that you hook the computer that will hook both u and daughter computer wireless. The is also one more thing if you and daughter computer aren't are least a Pentium 3 and have at Window 2000 a.k.a Millineum, XP, or Vista then it might not work. If you need more help find someone in neighborhood or a work who hook the own wired/wireless network and maybe they can help u. Also try asking your daughter (depending) how old she is if she has any friend who play game online such xbox, playstation, and wii and see they can help you hook up a router. Most teen gamer who play online know how to do this computer and game consoles system hook up about the same way.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 10:22 AM

If you don't respond we can't help you! I'm guessing your daughter is too far away from the router to use an ethernet cord, that or you don't want to run a 50 footer across the house. So you want her to have wirless, I'm guessing she's got a desktop in her room or something, inthis case she'll need a wirless adapter via USB. ANy local retailer (walmart, target, radioshack, besybuy, staples, etc.. Will sell these adapters) keep in mind these adapters have system requirements so make sure to check these before buying because since these adapters include software returning them is a hassle almost impssible.

(I used to work at Target :) )

But what I don't understand is what do you mean by hook up the router? Isn't it hooked up for you?
    Rick

P.S. Obviously this was a guess. Guessing is all I can do since you're not responding)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

D-Link Router DI-624 router settings log in issues [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having serious problems getting into the router settings of my D-Link router. Someone other than me messed with the Admin log in supposedly changing the password. I've attempted to "reset" the modem several times, and use what D-Link says is the admin log in of "Admin" and no password, but it...

Router hook up [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one tell me how to hook up a wireless router? I bought it used , it has a users manual but no instructions how to hook it up to my pc/isp.came with power cord, users manual, no other cables. Help

How do we hook this up? [ 4 Answers ]

My friend has DSL and was told that she needed a router to hook to her cable modem to use her computer in another room. There is no DSL connection in the other room. If I have to hook the router to the modem, how do I hook the cable from the router to the computer if the computer is in a different...

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

View more questions Search