Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stateofbeing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 08:35 AM
    Gold vs Paper Currency
    I've read how paper currency may become valueless;thus prudent for one to own gold bullion when it's going to be real bad out there economically speaking(ie. worst case scenario). Does this mean that in countries like USA, Canada, Great Britain, etc. and other developed countries that people will not be able to purchase needed goods, such as groceries, with paper currency ? Will the only way to buy such survival-oriented goods will only by purchasing with gold bullion ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 09:48 AM

I haven't heard anything as you mention it. I don't think the Bank of Canada is going to discontinue paper money any time soon. In Canada we have replaced some paper money such as the loonie for the one dollar bill and the toonie for the two dollar bill. Now there is talk about the five dolar bill being replaced with coin and most of us are having hilarious thoughts of what that coin will be called. Some think it will be called the foonie.

It is quite silly for rme to imagine that anyone would be buying groceries with gold. I think gold is now up to what, $1000 an oz. And how do you propose the change would be handled ?

Do you actually think that the economy wlll improve if they do this ? Think again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frequently Asked Questions about Collecting Paper Money / Currency and Coins [ 3 Answers ]

Please see below for information, and answers to Frequently Asked Questions, from our Paper Money / Currency and Coin Expert: Flying Blue Eagle - Paper Money / Currency and Coin Expert Feel free to post on the board: Just click the "Ask About Collectibles" button at the top of the page.

Coin and Paper Currency Monetary Values [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A 1935 E Series Silver Certificate And 1879,1880,1923and1928 Silver Dollars Are They Worth Anything

View more questions Search