Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxhelp123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 07:22 AM
    1009-c form received
    I received a 1099-c form. I went into an agreement last September to re-structure my mortgage. I am still in my home and still paying the new mortgage amount every month. When I research this most of the time a 1099-c is sent when a home is foreclosed on, but my home wasn't I am still in my home,I do not understand why I recevied this. It is for a huge amount and now I am suppose to claim this as income. How does the restructure even help me then. Right now I am the only one working, my husband has been out of work and on workmans comp for two years we barely get by as it is, then if I ad ths $30,000 as income it will throw me into a higher tax bracket and I will probably have to pay, how is this fair I do not undestand why I received this, this doenst constaitute as a resturucture, just another sleezy way of then takeing money from me
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Do NOT blame the mortgage company, because the law is clear: if you receive relief from your mortgage and a portion of the debt is forgiven, the amount forgiven is taxable income. The mortgage company had NO CHOICE but to originate the Form 1099-C.

You can set up a payment plan with the IRS to pay the taxes due. Submit Form 9465 with your tax return and the IRS will work with you to allow you to pay what you can afford on a monthly basis until the tax debt is paid off.
    taxhelp123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 08:48 AM

I'm not blaming anyone, I just had no idea I was going to have to claim this as taxable income. I looked back on the paper work I have when the modification was done and it says no where on it at all about this nor was it discussed. I have never in my life had to pay income taxes, I can barely afford to live day to day now that my husband is off hurt from work let alone have to pay an additional monies each month. That is why I got my Mortgage modified so I would have less payments every month. I understand the law is the law, but I also have to say on another hand I don't get it, I will be right back to where I was before, how does the modification even help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I print my 1009 G [ 2 Answers ]

I am waiting for my 1099 G from unelmployment, I received my W2 from my former employer, is there a way to print my 1099 G from either the IRS or unemployment in Florida instead of waiting for it to come by mail?

1009 to limited liability corporations [ 1 Answers ]

Are limited liablitliy corporations considered corporations for the purpose of 1099s?

I received 1099-c form in the mail [ 3 Answers ]

I had a car through a tote the note place and it was repoed. I had it for 10 months. Then the sent me a 1099-c form. I was adding my taxes to see how much I was getting when I d it without the 8k my taxes would have been 7k and when I add that 8k in as income it said I'm getting 1k. I didn't know...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

Honeywell wireless W8665a 1009 [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a Chromotherm IV plus thermostat. The order of wires are yellow to Y, White to W, Green to G, Blue to R and Red to RC. I just purchased the honeywell wireless model as noted above. I assume Y to Y, W to W and G to G. However, the back of the new unit has the designations R then C...

View more questions Search