Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 02:30 PM
    What's wrong with our dryer?
    When my husband and I bought our house the dryer came with it. We didn't know that it didn't work correctly. So here's what happens: We put our laundry in and start it up and use the timed setting (so that it shuts off) except that the laundry isn't dry until it's been run about 3 times. We can use the "more dry" setting and the dryer won't shut off at all. We found this out because we started it before we went to bed when we first moved in thinking the clothes would be dry when we woke up. They were dry, that's for sure! They also smelled burnt. So I'm curious how we go about fixing this. I don't know the brand name off hand because I'm at work, but I can check when I get home.

I appreciate the help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Brand and Exact model number
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 07:07 PM

ZoeMARIE - IF THE DRYER DRUM ROTATES AND DOES HEAT <THGE PROBLEM COULD BE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:: #2&3 I will skip;; #4- CLOGGED LINT ScREEN:: #4A- CLEAN SCREEN GOOD : #5- SAGGING VENT HOSE: #5A- REMOVE THE SAGS FROM THE VENT HOSE<AND CLEAN OUT:: #6- REPLACE DOOR SEAL- #6A- Look for the breaks, loose.
    Tore places in it;REplace it ::#7- TIGHTEN BLOWER TO THE BLOWER MOTOR SHAFt::
    OTHER QUESTIONS::
    TEST THE SWITCHS;; IN ORDER TO TEST THE SWITCHS<YOU WILL NEED A VOLT_METER:: YOU CAN GET onre very reasonable at sears,home depot, Lowe's ,in the electrical dept, ;about $10.00;; MAKE SURE THAT THE POWER CORD IS UNPLUGGED OR THE BREAKER IS FULL OFF:< NOW SET THE VOLT-OHM METER TO THE (RX1 SCALE#1- to test the (over heat protectors:: ;REmove the back panel ;; ON the ducts where the heating element is ,you will find the protectors;; #1-A REMOVE one of WIRES AT THE PROTECTOR< CLIP THE PROBS FROM THE METEER TO THE WIRE TERMINALS:: IF THE METER READS ( ZERO ) THE SWITCH IS GOOD< IF IT READS HIGH <THE PROTECTOR IS DEFECTIVE < REPLACE:: ON SOME MODLES THERE IS ONE ON The AIR OUTLET DUCT ::LSO SOME HAVE THREE WIRES TERMINALS : TO TEST THESE <PUT A METER PROB ON THE TWO OUTER TWO TERMINALS( READING IS SAME:: #2- T) MTEST THE THERMOSTAT SWITCH:: DISCONNECT BOTH WIRES ON The SWITCH:: CLIP THE METER PROBS TO THE TERMINALS:: IF THE READING IS (ZERO OHMS) THE THERMOSTAT IS GOOD< IF IT READS HIGH IT IS DEFECTIVE -REPLACE( BE VERY Careful WHEN THREADING THE THERMOSTAT THREW WHEN INSTALLING NEW ONE:: #3- TO test the timer switch;; meter still set the same;; #1- Disconnect one of the wires, clip meter probs to the terminals,
    TURN TIMER KNOB TO NORMAL DRY:: IF METER READS ( ZERO)OHMS, it is good if it reads high it is defective,REPLACE;;( NOTE ) ALL THREE ,THE THERMOSTAT<TIMER<START SWITCHES<GOVERN THE SELECTION AND THE DURATION OF DRYING CYCLES< MADE AVAIBLE TO YOU ON YOUR Model of dryer: I hope this will help you out and the smell you have on the clothes may be from the lint on inside oninside of the dryer;; HAVE A GOOD DAY AND GOOD LUCK::AND GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.
    Of
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 07:18 PM

Well Without writeing a novel like the guy above me, I will add my 2 cents. The same thing happened to me I thought it was the heating coils but it just ended up being the vent was clogged. If you have a clogged vent then you can push the steam out thus going back into the dryer. This steam is damp thus countering the drying. I am unsure if this is what is wrong but just double-check the vent and the opening to the outside.

Rick
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 10:10 PM

My turn:

Gas or Electric?

OK, if the clothes don't dry in 40 minutes or so there is a problem.

Timed means just that TIMED. The dry control usually DOESN'T WORK in timed mode. It only works in the AUTOMATIC dry cycle.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 12:57 PM

It's electric. For those who suggested a clogged screen, I did mention that I clean it before each load. The clothes sure don't dry in 40 min. KISS, shouldn't the dryer turn off in automatic though? I've never had a dryer that didn't. This one does not. If I leave it in the auto dry mode, it could run all night and still not shut off, hence, the burnt clothes smell
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 01:02 PM
    The burning cloths smell is from the lint inside the unit burning during the drying cycle. If it gets bad enough you could have a major lint fire. Disassemble and clean the entire dryer and the dryer vent pipe etc. You still have not posted the Exact model of your unit
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:06 PM

This is because I haven't been home yet to check it out, long story. I apologize, I will find out today. I realize we have a problem, which is why I've posted on here. I don't leave anything in the dryer when I'm not home and I check it constantly when I am. I'll get back to you on the model.
    Networking Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 01:12 PM

I didn't suggest you had a clogged lint trap I suggested your vent to the ouside was clogged. I doubt you clean that before every load!
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:17 PM

Not you, lol. A different post. No worries.
    felix coon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Comment on hvac1000's post
    Excellent comment
    Networking Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 01:21 PM

I apologize I just didn't read another post where someone was suggesting that. But it's all good. Like I was saying I am not an expert; nowhere close even, on dryers but my dryer stopped drying and it took like 3-4 cycles before my clothes would be dry. I had my maintenance guy come out and he said the vent to the outside was clogged therefore not letting any of the steam out. The lint on the end of the vent that clogged it would freeze (I live in Michigan) and then it would melt causing the water and the steam to go back down into the dryer!

I figured I would answer because who knows, it might just be the same thing.

Good Luck

Rick
    felix coon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Comment on Flying Blue Eagle's post
    C orrect and you are a professional
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:39 PM

Basically, it's due for a complete cleaning of all the hidden lint especially around the exhaust duct.

What's probably happening is that it's getting too hot and constantly shutting down the heat. This happens when the sensors get full of lint. The second reson why this happens is that the blower isn't blowing fast enough. e.g. the blower bearing has a lot of friction or the belt is slipping.

That's probably why it takes so long to dryl The element usually breaks rather than dies a slow death.

You may have a secondary problem happening too:

That is the sensor that senses humidity isn't working. They can be electronic or mechanical. Lint in the sensor area can fool it into thinking that there is too much water.

Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com usually has free breakdown diagrams for the dryer.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 03:18 PM

I'm going to have to take apart the exhaust duct I think and just make sure everything is clean.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Zoe marie - please do not only do the vent duct< you need to open it up and get the dry vac>out and clean it really good<> I do believe that you will find it has a lot of lint on the inside of the cabner:: My wife had one to catch fire about 15 years ago and it was a good thing I was at home that day< like (kiss) said it was a major fire:: Oh <i had to buy a new dryer::.. Stay safe and take a little and clean it good ;; they all have given good answers:: Have a very nice day tomorrow and god bless ::f.b.e.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle View Post
    zoe marie - please do not only do the vent duct< you need to open it up and get the dry vac>out and clean it really good<> i do believe that you will find it has a lot of lint on the inside of the cabner:: My wife had one to catch fire about 15 years ago and it was a good thing i was at home that day< like (kiss) said it was a major fire:: Oh <i had to buy a new dryer:: .. Stay safe and take a little and clean it good ;; they all have given good answers:: Have a very nice day tomorrow and god bless ::f.b.e.
    Thank you so much! Yeah, I've been worried about the dryer ever since we realized it doesn't shut off. I'm just going to have my brother come over this weekend and we'll give it a good cleaning. I might just take advantage of our home warranty and have it looked at too because it's cheaper for me to have them to replace it than it is for me pay for one outright.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need some one to tell me what's wrong and if any thing is wrong [ 12 Answers ]

My Partner And Me Have Been Having Sex For A Year Already But For 3 Months He Has Done It With Out A Condom And I Have Not Gotten Pregnant And We Really Want To Be Parents. What Is Wrong?:(

Maytag Dryer putting out a black substance inside my dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know why my Maytag Gas dryer is putting out a black substance in my dryer that is also along the vent area as well. When I clean out the lint container it's full of black?

Got E61 on my GE Dryer brand new one what wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

Got E61 on my GE Dryer brand new one what wrong?

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

View more questions Search