Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newbie06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Weird boyfriend - please help...
    Hi... I'm new at this and need advice... I've been going out with this guy for nearly a yr and a half... but we don't spend more than 2 days togther because we live too far from each other. I have just spent a total of 34hours with him... and he decided he needed space!! ***?? He says he still wants to be with me but can't spend that long with anyone... Now what do I do?? Advice please??
    Newbie:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2006, 03:46 PM
    34 hours straight, needed time to be with other girlfriends?

Sounds like he is not ready nor wants any serious relationship, If you are wanting more I would say you need to date other people, I would guess this is not a relationship with promises not to date anyone else ?
    Amythest Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Aug 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
    I would say to hell with this guy :P You are probably worth so much more. Space in this instance probably means I am about to break up with you... least that's what it has meant to me and my chik freinds:( so I say find someone else who treats you the way you should be treated:)

Aug 20, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Thanks guys, my head is saying what you guys are saying but my heart disagrees.
    Fr_Chuck - I've known the guy too long to think he would be with other girls... I do trust him to be monogomous...
    Amythest - I did first think he wanted to break up but after saying that he needed space, he asked me not to give up on him and he kept telling me he loves me!!
    I think the real problem is, is that I love him!! :(

Aug 20, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Becareful not to confuse infactuation with love.
    MY friend was going through this kind of thing with her guy... and then he just like broke up with her. I am not saying he will... I am just sayingprepare you heart for the possibility.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
    It really sounds like this guy doesn't want what you are after. PLus long distance relationships rarely work.
    We see it time and again here.
    They are just too hard.
    I think you should broaden your horizens and give him his space. But in that time date other people. Tell him you are going to do as such.
    Tell him that this current situation with him isn't really working and that you are going to go out and meet other people.
    It will be the best thing for you! You may just find someone that you really like and has more time for you! And is in your area.
    Blazingsun Posts: 52, Reputation: 19

Aug 20, 2006, 07:38 PM
    This doesn't sit well.

Been together that long.. ok fine.. but this was the first time u had spent over ad ay with him, and soon as u did that he freaks and wants space? ***... he's using u as some sort of excuse.

Yes you may love him, infatuation or not. But he obviously doesn't feel the same no matter what he thinks.

Pretty bad if u can't spend 34 hours together without going nuts specially after having 'been together' as a couple for over a year.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2006, 09:16 PM
    My bet is that he is a married man and just happened to someway get away for the 34 hours that he spent with you and he does not have a plan yet as to how he can do it again. But when he does figure out a way I bet you get an invitation to spend another long weekend with him. Be careful, do some investigating, did you go to his home or to some other place, if you went to some other place find out where he lives, get his home telephone number. Where does he work, get his number there. I am saying this assuming that you do not already know all of it. I volunteer some time at a place that deals with girls and women caught in the same situation that you describe.

Aug 21, 2006, 12:38 AM
    Lol we all sound like we've watched too many movies... but still I would be careful. Good luck with you and your life which ever way this leads you... it does sounds suspicious though :(
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2006, 01:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie06
    Hi...i'm new at this and need advice.....I've been going out with this guy for nearly a yr and a half......but we don't spend more than 2 days togther coz we live too far from each other. I have just spent a total of 34hours with him.......and he decided he needed space!!!!! ***?????? he says he still wants to be with me but can't spend that long with anyone.....Now what do i do???? advice please???

Hi Newbie06 and welcome to AMHD.

If I where you I would run away from this guy NOW before you get hurt, even more!

I experienced a long distance relationship, where we actually lived in 2 individual countries. We did this for 1 year. I can tell you now that your boyfriend isn't worthed because when I went through this myself and used to visit my boyfriend only monthly for a few days, we where like to squashed sardines who never ever left each other.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder while your boyfriend is totally having the opposite reaction!

He wants the cake... and he wants to eat it all!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 21, 2006, 09:17 AM
    He wants one thing you want another. Take a break and see how you feel (and he feels ) in 6 months. Others have said it is very hard to maintain a long distance relationship.
    Jayjay027 Posts: 153, Reputation: 31

Aug 21, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Some good responses here.
    My advice... get out while you can.

I was in a similar situation, where my ex and I lived miles away from each other, we managed to maintain a long distance relationship on and off for 2 years... it ended with him sleeping with 2 girls behind my back, and him being the possible father of twins.

Avoid bigger heartache... break it off.
    If he wanted you, he'd want to be with you any chance he gets, and he'd love the time you get to spend together.
    34 hours together isn't too much at all.

It seems to me, like he see's you as a sex buddy.

Aug 21, 2006, 04:40 PM
    Thanks guys... not quite what I wanted to hear... do any guys understand where he is coming from??
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 21, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Yes he wants his freedom to do what he wants and no commitments except by you.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2006, 07:53 PM
    As you've said, you live a considerable distance apart and really don't spend that much time together. Evidently that's the way he likes it. It sounds like he doesn't want anything serious right now so the distance thing is quite convenient for him. You have basically two options here: first, you can go along with him and consent to see him only when circumstances permit (which it seems like that's what you've been doing up until now anyhow) ; secondly, you can decide to end it all together and have no contact with him whatsoever and get on with your life without him being a part of it. If the first arrangement is not satisfactory to you then you need to end it altogether.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2006, 12:29 AM
    Thanks guys....not quite what i wanted to hear......do any guys understand where he is coming from????
    Im sorry!
    But it's the truth!

He wants best of both worlds, without taking into consideration your feelings, so don't get involved, he will hurt you.
    Dreamcatcher91 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Hell I say dump the guy. He is so not worth it. I've been down this road. They ignore you for so long then come back. Don't fall for it. And don't waste your time because your missing out on someone who really would like you. And you deserve so much better!
    t_rod95 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Mar 1, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Hi...i'm new at this and need advice.....I've been going out with this guy for nearly a yr and a half......but we don't spend more than 2 days togther coz we live too far from each other. I have just spent a total of 34hours with him.......and he decided he needed space!!!!! ***?????? he says he still wants to be with me but can't spend that long with anyone.....Now what do i do???? advice please???
    If he lives fare from where you know what he's doing then maybe he is chating on you
    Vienna111 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Sounds very strange, often people can say strange things ans then regret them. Be yourself and allow them the time, be ready to act upon it, but don't lower yourself pride. Hope it all works out
    sophia3x Posts: 14, Reputation: 7

Mar 1, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Take a deep breath.

He just broke up with you.

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

Every relationship (hopefully) is a rung on life's ladder.

Next guy you'll see more of and that's a GOOD THING.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weird goo [ 9 Answers ]

I have this strange, odorless sticky orange/brown goo slowly oozing from the main sewer pipe out of the house in the basement. It has taken months, possibly years to biuld up, but has become noticeable recently. It looks like candle wax has been dripped on the side of the pipe. I had a plumber...

Weird thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

My heating ac is a little strange in that the tranformer for the ac is outside in the compressor unit. Ever since I switched to a programmable thermostat I have had problem from time to time. There are 5 wires in two cables. Black which is RH and white which is W in one and , red which is RC, ...

Help me, my turtle is being weird [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a turtle, and its breathing really hard, with its mouth open when its on the land part of the tank... Is it panting because its hot??

Weird angles [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to replace all the trim in the house and am noticing that the door frames seem to be uneven. By uneven I mean the gap from the corner to trim is larger on the bottom than at the top. We live in a 1 story house this only occurs at a few doors. Would this be poor construction or is the...

Weird guy [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! MY friend likes to wear women's underwear and lingerie. He is straight, but his behaviour is so weird. I don't understand this. Can anyone explain to me? Thanks a lot!

View more questions Search