Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BillerQueen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Early Termination of Business Lease
    I currently have a lease in California---this is second office for my business. We have asked for an early temrination from the landlords because we have been paying the rent late for the past 3-4 months. Do I have any legal grounds for early termination--?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 08:06 AM

Hello Biller:

If there are any grounds for early termination, you'll find them in the lease itself. They're NOT all the same.

There MIGHT be something in there... But probably not. You may find sanctions for breeching the contract. That's probably as close to what you're looking for that you'll find.

Being broke, in an of itself, ISN'T grounds for breaking any lease I've ever been a party to.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 09:25 AM

No you being late on payment is only a reason for the landlord to charge late fees.

If you are late too many times they landlord may wish to break the lease but still hold you liable for payments

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early Business Lease Termination [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 3 year lease and are 1 year into the lease can the landlord foreclose on our home because of our business lease?

Early lease termination [ 1 Answers ]

As a legal resident alien working here in Florida I have now lost my job due to downsizing. I need to return to Canada and therefore need to get out of my lease 3 months early. Can the landlord/management charge me not only a $565. Penalty but they are also going back to the date we move in...

Early termination of lease [ 1 Answers ]

My retail business is closing due to financial failure. I have a personally guaranteed lease for the showroom that is through April 2009. I have no cash (checking or savings), I have business loans that may be in default soon, my home is in pre-foreclosure, and I do not know how to protect myself...

Early Business Lease termination [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know If my landlord or his real estate agent cheated me when I signed a 2 years Business Lease agreement on a property ,in the form there was no mention of "Early Lease Termination" I signed the contarct for 2 years and after 3-4 months my business did not grow due to poor Location I...

Early lease termination [ 6 Answers ]

The lease for my townhouse was for 1 year. The tenant has decided she wants to move out and break her lease agreement (with 6months to go). She gave me the 30 days noticed ( on March 5 along with the rent check for March that bounced). I am suppose to meet with her tomorrow to do an ‘exit walk’...

View more questions Search