ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 05:02 AM
    What did the Czar have against beards?
    What did the Czar have against beards?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 05:59 AM

Which Czar? If you are talking Nicholas II, the last Czar, he HAD a beard.

At one time peasants had beards because they couldn't afford shaving implements; nobility did not have beards because they could afford shaving implements.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 12:53 PM

JudyKayTee,

Czar Peter I of Russia!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM View Post
    JudyKayTee,

Czar Peter I of Russia !!

There was more than one Czar and I had no way of knowing which one you were talking about.

I don't know that he had anything against beards. He taxed them as a means of raising money, realizing that the peasants could not be clean shaven (as a rule).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2009, 04:29 PM

Yes, the beards were taxed by Peter so this would encourage the men to be clean shaven. Peter had spent so much time in European courts when he was young that he was very impressed with the clean shaven men he wanted his own country to do the same. Peter did bring a lot of European ideas to Russia at a time when Russia was considered to be a backward nation. Peter built the city of St. Petersburg from marshland to be the Venice of the North.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 05:16 PM

It was also a slap at the boyars (nobility) and Orthodox clergy. Members of both groups had traditionally been distinguished by their long beards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Improve beards [ 5 Answers ]

I am 26 years old male. According to my age, beards are very less in numbers. Is there any way to get my beard thicker? Please help me... I am in a dilemma

Gray hair and beards. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 20 years old and my hair is graying somewhat. I can spot about 6 or 7 gray hairs at any given time just by looking at myself in a mirror. Is this a precursor to early hair loss? My dad went bald in his 30s, so I'm getting kind of scared here. Also, I can't completely grow a beard yet....

View more questions Search