Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ubharedev Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 04:43 AM
    No Lan icon on the taskbar
    Hi all,
    My computer doesn't show the Lan icon on the taskbar.
    I have gone through the taskbar properties but there is also no option for lan icon on taskbar.
    How it is disappeared.
    Simultaneously, my broadband lan connection icon is also disappeared from taskbar when connected.
    I have done lan connection properties that show notification icon when connected.
    But my computer gets connected too but the icon doesn't displayed on taskbar.
    Please help.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 06:03 AM

Open "Network connections" in control panel. Locate your LAN connection. Right-click on the connection and select "Properties". At the bottom of the form, check "Show icon in notification area when connected."

Feb 24, 2009, 09:35 PM

Perito,
    Yes I have done that too.
    But no use.
    Any other thing.

Feb 24, 2009, 09:47 PM

Anyone tell me that which file is responsible for placing lan icon in the taskbar or registry entry for the same.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 05:50 AM

I see that you aren't alone with this problem. Here are some Microsoft links. Unfortunately, it looks like it might be quite a bit of work to fix.

How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP

Network and Dial-Up Connection Icons Disappear When You Use Dcomcnfg.exe to Set the Default Impersonation Level to Anonymous

"Network and Dial-up Connections" folder icons missing

I also wondered if the Iconcache could be screwed up. This is the file from which the icons are drawn. System icons, including tray icons, are often pulled from that file. You can try to fix it by simply deleting IconCache.db which is usually found in /Documents and Settings/[Username'/Local Settings/Application Data). Once you delete it, it will be automatically recreated when needed. Delete all of the IconCache.db files that you can find on your computer.

On browsing the web, I noted that a number of people were giving up and reinstalling Windows. That's kind of a last resort, I would think.

Good luck. You may need it.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Feb 25, 2009, 02:46 PM

Have you tried disabling your lan connection, then creating another one, and enabling the new one?
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 04:00 AM

Hi,
    Take a right click on the network neighborhood and select the properties then, select the internet connection icon and again take a right click and go to properties and it will show on the bottom, select the notification connect icon. Press OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to Restore Missing Volume Icon on TaskBar [ 2 Answers ]

The volume setting icon has disappeared from the taskbar on my desktop. What is the best/easiest way to get it back? Thanks, HeadRanger George in San Francisco

Spylocked in my Taskbar [ 15 Answers ]

I've had Spylocked in my computer for about a week now. I've used spyware removal programs to get rid of it, but all it did was get rid of other spyware and viruses that came with Spylocked. I know it's still in my computer because it's in my taskbar in a help icon. When I click on it, it goes to...

Taskbar too tall. [ 2 Answers ]

My Taskbar Has Become 3 Bars Tall. It Still Shows Start, But Also Icons From My Desktop. How Can I Shrink It Down To Normal Again? Thank You, Payson

View more questions Search