Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apjoy8403 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 09:12 PM
    How do I become a singer?
    I know this may be a commonly asked question. I am just trying to get a start and meet a producer or someone from a label. Everyone says just to do open mic nights and things like that but... I have no time for it. I work a full time job and just don't have the time to go out nights to do this. I am good and of age. I also write my own lyrics so I would take advice on how to get those published too. Please help if you can.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 12:33 AM
    Hi, apjoy8403!

What sort of experience have you already had singing, please? One thing that might help you is to go to see a talent agent. Another thing would be to go to a public library and look for magazines and newspapers having to do with the music industry and see if there are any places currently looking for singers to audition for anything.

If you do want to be a singer, you're going to have to devote some time toward that endeavor. A person can't win the game if they don't play...

If you would like to have some fun and see how some of your lyrics might work if set to music, I can show you how they might work when set to music, right on this site! I can set lyrics to music instantly... Please let me know if you might want to do that.

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 06:24 AM

Hello a:

Go to your nearest music store. You should find a bulletin board where you can find bands looking for singers.

Of, you can form your own band by putting up your own advertisement.

When you've got your band, go find a club that will hire you. Then, after you've got a following, make a record on your computer and sell it.

Then you can retire.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 06:37 AM

IF you don't have time, to put in the work it is not going to happen, you work that full time job and still spend several nights a week out performing.
    That is just how it is done even when you first start getting "gigs" most will barely pay enough to cover the trave to them.

Next how much do you need to live on, can you live out of a suitcase and van, many starting singers have to.

Most labels will not even open or accept any demo recordings unles you have been asked to send one in.

You will need experience, and yes open mike nights, and then after they like you they invite you back for paid nights, then you may get a agent who will start booking you.

It is a matter of how bad do you want it you don't want it bad yet since you put your "job" ahead of trying to be a singer.
    apjoy8403 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 07:09 AM
    I have been singing in my church choirs for years (aside from the past 4 years). I took voice lessons as a kid and was involved in choir and musical in High School. I do want this more than anything and I know I could make it, however, financially I can not afford to cut back to a part time job so I can devote time to it. I sing EVERYWHERE. I sing while I am working, pumping gas, grocery shopping (which isn't often since I mostly go through a drive through somewhere)... whatever and I actually have people stop to listen. I guess I am super scared about not being able to support myself if I do something other than work my butt off... as I write this I am going through P&L statements and forcasting occupancy. I have been at this since 5 am and will continue to work until probably 7 pm. It is a vicious cycle. YES! I would love to hear my lyrics set to music... I already have melodies in my head I just do not have the epquipment to compse the song. The bad part is I LIVE IN NASHVILLE AND THIS SHOULD BE EASY... I mean... come on this is music city and there are so many places I could go but I need to work to live.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 07:19 AM

Hello again, a:

Yeah, I know. I wish I was a rock star too.

excon
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2009, 02:46 AM

Hi again, apjoy8403!

Do you play any musical instruments in addition to singing? If so, what is the instrument or are the instruments, please?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Singer Sewing Machine "singer merritt 4525" us a free motion foot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I saw one that's cleaver and free-motion sewing machine foot being use. My sewing machine is a singer merrit 4525. Can I use a free-motion foot on it? Also, Does anyone know a place online to get or lookat a free manual for that model? Thank for the help, Kathy Hamann

Becoming a singer [ 4 Answers ]

How can I get noticed by a singing professinal in a small town I'm 16 and sing in the choir but I don't really sing in publice any more all my frriends think I could make it if I went for it

How Do I Become A Singer? [ 5 Answers ]

Hii I'm bianca and I have been singing my whole life. I first got taught at home by my mum because she used to do singing. I have started singing lessons at my school and my mum might even let me do singing lessons out of school. This week I am singing at a wedding and I can't wait. If someone can ...

Name of singer [ 4 Answers ]

Who sings the new remake of the old Archies Sugar Sugar song? It's hip hop I guess

Becoming a singer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm mahalia m also 11 and I want to be a singer I would love to be in your band my email address is {email address removef-<>} e mail me from mahalia!!

View more questions Search