Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArtN Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Structural Engineer Company
    Our Association is going to need roof replacement in the near future, but we have a Management company who has be saying we need to replace roofs since he came on 4 years ago, only because he knows the Complex is 20 years old at that time, without getting into any of the itty bitty stuff, he has taken upon himself to contact roofing contractors to advise him we need roofs, well it may be true, but it is my contention that we hire ourselves a Structural Engineering company to give us a written report exactly what we need and what we do not need to do, whether it is now of 5 years later etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this and will a Structural Engineering Company give us the answers to my question?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 08:05 AM

This might be overkill. A good home inspector or roofing contractor should be able to evaluate your existing roofing. I would get sevral. What type of material is up there now and have any units had any leaks? A 30 year asphalt shingle should last about the full 30 years or more if there has been no wind damage.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 24, 2009, 08:15 AM

I agree with Ballenger, unless there is damage to the existing roof, a good roofing contractor should be able to evaluate the extent of work required for a new roof.

Feb 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Thank you for your response, I suppose you both are correct, my reason for the question is not being trustworthy of how things have come about. For reasons I do not want to mention, the Management company has claimed we needed roofs from the first month as a take over Management company, without any foundation, Our siding installation,did cause some shoddy workmanship around the chimineys which the Association had to withhold x amount of monies and the work never really got taken care of, so we understand some of this could tribute to some of the water damage, but in the past three years, 2006- 2008 with heavy rains above the norm, did not produce a continued problem, only in the winter months of Ice melt which I understand that our ceiling/attic insulation could not be up to par. I personally feel insulating is in order. Roofs have had Skylight problems, and because the skylights are the owners respondsibilty, some owners negected their maintenance, so some of that caused some leagage, but were repaired and skylights replaced. Overall if there were Roof Leaks per se, the roofs would leak continuely whenever it rain, don't you think? Also no wind damage. Yes I believe the asphalt shingles or composite will last 30 years, but this would be a good time to start thinking. For Peace of Mind would a Structural engineer help?

This is why I am asking the Question to see if anyone has used a Structural Engineering Company?

Feb 24, 2009, 11:16 AM

I really do not think a Structural Engineer can help you here, unless there is structural damage to the roof. If leaks and old shingles are the only issues, a good roofing contractor should be able to help you. Like Ballenger said, get multiple bids from qualified contactors so you know your getting a fair price.

Feb 24, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Arricca

I believe it would be more productive to have a structural engineer examine the roofs to make a determination of exactly what the problem is that is causing the leaks... is the pitch too high? Too low? Flashing a problem? Too many layers of shingles? Issue with the eaves? The gutters? Chimneys?

All the roofing contractor will say is that we need new roofs, but if we have a structural problem, putting on a new roof won't solve the situation and we'll end up with more leaks.

I have been told by a few older owners, there must be something wrong with the entire design of the roofs because we have had leak problems for years and years which I was not asware prior to posting.

Feb 25, 2009, 08:09 AM

Sounds like you already had made up your mind on this, good luck with your project.

Feb 25, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Yes I pretty much feel a Structural Engineer should be hired, but I am not powers to be. I was hoping some one out there may have had experienced hiring a Structural Engineer with their project. You may be correct about going with a roofing contractors advise, but I just have a problem with that, but of course will go along with what ever is decided upon, I have no choice. Thanks, you all have been helpful with your info, I can pass it on with hopes others will feel as I do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a license as marine engineer for third engineer in U.S.A. Or U.K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a student in South Korea and I also have Third engineer license for working on a merchant ship in Korea. But I want get a license in U.S.A or U.K. So could you tell me what I have to do for this. I want work in a U.S.A company or U.K one having a license which I will get a...

Structural compromise [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am helping a friend resolve some issues with her house and one of them I need some input on. It seems an unlicensed contractor was hired to convert a 2 car garage into living space. When it came time to frame an entry door, this genius needed some height so he cut a 4"x40" section of...

Marine engineer license for a second engineer [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madom What is the Prossure in uptaining an second marine engineer license ,

View more questions Search