Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Feb 23, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Hydrogen peroxide for ears?
    My doc said I should use half hydrogen peroxide and half water for my ears to get cleaned out, has any one ever done this? And how much would it be ? A capful?
    corrillo Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 23, 2009, 05:16 PM

I have used the peroxide straight I take a cutip and dip in the cap and squeeze it in my ear hold your head to one side and wait for the fizzing to slow then turn your head the other way into a towel or paper towel
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 23, 2009, 05:28 PM
    I suggest to dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water till the solution is around 4 %. Than add some drops of olive oil. Mix, and using a special ear syringe squirt some drops into the ear (not too many!)
    The oil is to prevent the ear channel from drying out.

We used this for ourselves and our children, whenever one of us had ear (channel) problems due to wax build-up.
    Success.

Feb 23, 2009, 06:12 PM

OK sounds good, how do you know what 4% is? Hehe I haven't done this ever, would I just use the cap
    -

Feb 24, 2009, 02:27 AM
    How do you know what 4% is?

On the bottle of hydrogen peroxide (HP) must be stated the concentration percentage.
    If not : buy another bottle that has. You HAVE to know the HP concentration, to bring it down to 4% max. Note that HP is a very aggressive substance, and that high concentrations of it can be dangerous to skin. (It can even - put in your hair - make you a 'blond'! :) )
    So buy a bottle at the pharmacy. They know the HP concentration. Most probably they sell 3 or 4% HP solutions.

If you can't find 3 or 4% HP please let me know and I'll advice how to dilute to 4%.
    In that case provide data on the bottle content (deciliters) and the provided HP concentration.

As an alternative : at pharmacies they also sell bottles with HP solutions for use in ear cleaning.

Some months ago I saw an article on the internet about HP and ear wax removal. I'll try to find it again, and provide you with a link. In it was stated how HP works : it looses the wax balls, not dissolves them.
    -

Feb 24, 2009, 02:33 AM
    This is the link to the article on ear wax removal - very interesting !

Feb 24, 2009, 04:57 PM

Thank you so very much, I called my physicians clinic she said a capful of peroxide and a capful of water, but my ears feel irritated and I got kind of lightheaded! So I added a little more warm water in my ear, but they just feel so irritated right now! the water comes out on its own right?

Feb 24, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Oh and she told me to use a qtip after I poured the peroxide and water in my ear.

Feb 24, 2009, 10:17 PM

OK so the irritation is gone now, now my ears feel a little weird , kind of clogged can't explain
    -

Feb 25, 2009, 01:38 AM
    Hello MarMar

... a capful of peroxide and a capful of water...

Like I posted before : it is the concentration of HP that is important. So it all depends on the concentration of the HP you bought. One cap HP and one cap water halves the concentration, so if the HP was 10% you halve it that way to 5%.

... but my ears feel irritated and i got kind of lightheaded!
    That may be caused by the strangeness of your ear channel being filled with liquid. The feeling will be very temporal.

... so i added a little more warm water in my ear, but they just feel so irritated right now!, the water comes out on its own right?

Yes it will.

... oh and she told me to use a qtip after i poured the peroxide and water in my ear.

Make sure the Qtip does not go too deep. Note the article I posted with warning on the use of tips.

ok so the irritation is gone now, now my ears feel a little weird , kind of clogged can't explain

Just give it 24 hours, and everything will be back to normal. I'm glad for you that everything went well!
    :)

Please rate my answers to questions on this board!

Feb 25, 2009, 05:05 PM

Well today my left ear feels extra clogged, I don't know If I should go to the clinic tomorrow and see if they should drain it themselves? Cause when I used the Q tip there really wasn't much that came out, the bottle was 3 % but I added a little more water than a capful maybe that can explain the problem?.
    -

Feb 26, 2009, 03:44 AM
    Hello MarMar

If you added more water to a 3% solution, than the HP concentration was below 3%, and too low to do it's work properly. HP's function is not to dissolve the wax in the ear channel, but to get it loose. When in the earchannel HP 'fizzes' around the wax. That is the reason you feel some movement in the ear.

Using a Qtip can push the wax deeper into the ear, blocking the earchannel. Once that happens only an ear flush will solve the problems.

Maybe it is better to visit the physician. A nurse can than - using an ear syringe - push tepid soapy water into the earchannel, so that all wax dissolves and is flushed out. It does not hurt and is safe. But as the applied pressure should not be exessive (danger of breaking the eardrum), it is not a home job.

See you physician !
    -

Feb 26, 2009, 03:46 AM
    PS : just let us know your experiences at the physician, so that others can learn from that !

Feb 26, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Hmm yeah, my left ear is still clogged today it feels horrible! Rather annoying, I am defitnetly going to call tomorrow I wasn't able to today, thanks so much for your help! I will post what the physician says when I visit.

Feb 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Also, will all this pressure in my left ear cause any damage if I don't go soon enough?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 06:11 AM

In our pharmacies the HP concentration is 3%. And not irritating to the skin. It is used to clean wounds, diluted, used as a mouth wash.
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Feb 27, 2009, 06:13 AM

I used hydrogen peroxide in my ears last weekn when they were clogged... it just made them hurt worse!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 06:22 AM

Berrysweet, did you water the HP down first ? Not good to use it full strength in your ears.

Tick
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Feb 27, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    berrysweet, did you water the HP down first ? Not good to use it full strength in your ears.

tick
    Lol no it was full strength... im a little on the idiot side :)
    -

Feb 28, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarMar27 View Post
    Also, will all this pressure in my left ear cause any damage if i dont go soon enough?
    No MarMar. See again the link to the aticle I provided earlier.
    With the Qtip you pushed all the wax together in the deep end of the ear channel, where it got impacted against the eardrum. It dried up there, blocks the hearing, and feels uncomfortable.

What do you mean with "not go soon" ? Days, weeks, or months?
    Don't you have a friend or relative who can assist you?

Follow this link to another article about the same problem. May be it can assist you.

Success

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydrogen peroxide and mrsa [ 11 Answers ]

Does hydrogen peroxide cleanse the blood of mrsa?

Hydrogen Peroxide? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am currently working on a science project. My science teacher says any dangerous acids are not acceptable. My project involves hydrogen peroxide, is it dangerous?

Decomposing hydrogen peroxide [ 1 Answers ]

Heya! I'm doing a project on how the concentration of hydrogen peroxide effects the rate at which it decomposes and I need help!! And tank u! :) :) :)

View more questions Search