Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrfeetman Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Phone and Electric lines together ?
    Hello every one , here is what I thinking about doing. I have just added a separate building in my yard about 50 feet away from the main house, 2 bed ,1 bath and a small kitchenette. In the main house I have a 200 amp service, so power for the building is coming from the house via a 2 inch electrical pvc pipe that runs under ground. Since the pipe is 2 inches I am really thinking of running the phone and cable lines through it as well ,saving the headache of running more pipes. Question: do you think doing this would would result in electrical interference and affect the quality of reception from the cable and phone lines ? Thank you for your replies .
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 02:17 PM
    You absolutely cannot run the phone/CATV lines with the electrical lines in conduit. You will need a separate conduit for the low voltage stuff.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 06:59 PM
    You can't run those cables with the AC... but you certainly can find direct burial telephone cable, and I'll bet there are CATV cables that are direct burial rated. Just put them in the trench with the PVC, but not in the pipe.
    mrfeetman Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 06:16 AM

Thank you guys, I think I will run new pipes now.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:48 AM

Also consider Alarm, Computer, intercomm, as well as the TV and Telephone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 phone lines [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have 2 phone lines in our home. The 2nd one is in our bedroom we are using this as our home phone and entnet, the first one is not in use.(was disconnected when my DH's mom and dad moved out) I want to make the first line part of the 2nd line so we can have phones all over the house...

Continuation of 2 phone lines [ 1 Answers ]

What if the set of wires from Phone 1 are a different color from Phone 2? Also, if I need to install a DSL filter inside the house, where would I install it?

Filters on phone lines for DSL [ 2 Answers ]

My question involves moving my DSL from one phone jack to another. When I first got DSL I received a kit with all of the filters. Problem was the filters did not work for some reason. So my phone company sent a technician to install filters directly on the line. That worked great. Now I've...

Switching from cable to DSL phone lines [ 2 Answers ]

We will be switching this week from cable to DSL... My question is this... with the phone line coming into the house from the main outside box, can I hook a connector to that line alone, and connect to computer directly from that line, or do I need to connect that line to a inside wall box, and...

Rewire phone jack for 2 lines [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how simple it was to rewire a phone jack for 2 lines. The phone co. charges $100 to do it. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search