Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mphomoqhobai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 02:16 AM
    How to uninstall ubuntu?
    I have partitioned my hard drive and installed both Windows vista and ubuntu. I have not been using the ubuntu for a while and have since forgotten my password... So I was hoping to remove this ubuntu and re- install it,so how do I uninstall it?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2009, 02:26 AM
    You CAN'T uninstall an Operating system.

If you have finished using it then simply format the partition it is on.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Mar 13, 2009, 11:22 AM

If you installed Windows first and Linux second, then you can use this method.

Boot into Windows Recovery Console via your XP CD and run fixmbr to clear the master boot record (this is where Lilo or Grub is kept). Windows doesn't boot from the master boot record, it simply boots to the first active partition and loads boot.ini.

Once you do this and boot straight into Windows, simply right click My Computer, select Manage, go to Disk Management, and delete the Linux partitions. Then use those partititions for whatever you want or merge them back into your Windows partition with Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic.
    TheRedCoat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 08:43 PM

Why uninstall it if you are going to reinstall?

The ubuntu installer comes with a partition manager, you can simply remove all partitions (not the windows one) during the installation and let the installation use all unused space on your hard disk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ubuntu Operating System [ 8 Answers ]

Hi All. Does anyone know about Ubuntu, a free open source Linux based operating system? Someone told me they are happliy using it and it is similar to Windows XP?? Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, and several other applications. Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu Thanks

Ubuntu sound issues. [ 2 Answers ]

I um using ubuntu on this computer and I can't get any sound to work. It is a Dell Dimension 2300 running Ubuntu 8.04. When I do an aplay -l, I get: card 0: I82801DBICH4 , device 0: Intel ICH Subdevices: 0/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: I82801DBICH4 , device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 ...

Because command is not working in ubuntu 7.10 [ 2 Answers ]

I tried to run because command in ubuntu 7.10 but it show me message that Because command is not installed try installing it by entering ubuntu disk in your Drive and type sudo apt-install because When I tried it it shows that enter ubuntu 7.10 gusty gibbon cd

Ubuntu on vmware [ 4 Answers ]

Can any one explain how can I install ubuntu 7.10 on vmware

What is ubuntu? [ 4 Answers ]

What is ubuntu?

View more questions Search