Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 22, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Going To Russia
    Has anyone had travel experience in Russia? I've heard you have to get an invitation to get a visa, and you can only get roubles in Russia. I've been learning some basic Russian on the internet. Are English or French widely spoken anywhere in Moscow or St. Petersburg?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 06:36 PM

Don't know about the visa thing. Yes, some Russians do speak English. Although a lot of people in St. Petersburg are basically "foreigners" now so I haven's any idea just what is spoken there anymore.

Don't steal anything while in Russia. Canadians have been known to shoplift a lot in Russia and are not dealt with lightly on this. Don't go to any places that are off limits to civilians. Don't overstay your visa or your visit.

If you do get arrested remember you don't have the same rights over there as you do in Canada.

Are you going with a tour or on your own?
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 22, 2009, 06:54 PM
    I would like to visit on my own sometime, but would be open to going with a tour group. I have always wanted to go because I am part Ukrainian and I love Eastern European food and don't mind cold weather. How did you know I was Canadian, was it the French that gave it away?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 07:18 PM

Read your other posts.

Right now St. Pete is flooded with foreigners and not a good place to visit. Maybe in the future.

Right now Russia is a great place to visit, but if you want to move there and take up residency, no, as too much red tape to wade through.

Would definitely recommend going with a tour group should you do go and staying strictly with the group. Do learn more Russian though as it would greatly help you out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am looking for job in Russia. [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking for a job in Russia. The thing is that I want the main building to be in USA. The position needs to be in Novosibirsk, Russia. I know two languages.(Russian and English). I could help in a english company to translate and work. Please help. ...

Russia, the language & Culture. [ 6 Answers ]

I know it must sound crazy but in the past few months I have become obsessed with Russian culture. Everything about it interests me so much, especially the language! I have started to learn some conversational phrases, but plan on pursuing the language to a higher extent in college. Does anyone...

Russia [ 2 Answers ]

How big is Russia? How many different lanuages are in Russia? What is Russian Population, or how many people are currently living there??

View more questions Search