Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnygirl16 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Can I Sing!
    Okay I love to sing but I only sing guys songs this sounds really weird but I can only sing in a lower tone like the band Sublime if you have heard of them then you know their tone they sing in. Well I can match their tone perectly (not even joking) but if I try to sing higher well not so good but I don't know if I can sing well because of my singing style my friends say I'm good but they might just be trying to make me feel better. I really want to now if I sound well.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 11:38 PM

Hi, sunnygirl16!

Matching the tone quality of others can be a good thing, or not so good thing. It depends on if the people that you're emulating are really using their vocal instruments to their full potential that they can.

There are many ways of singing - stage singing, microphone singing, folk singing, jazz singing, rock, blues, opera, etc. etc... All different styles of singing will require different styles and techniques in order for what is being sung to be deemed as sounding "good" according to what most people might that a certain style of music should sound.

Some people can fill a concert hall with the sound of their voice without even using a microphone, while others might need to use a microphone to be heard even a little bit, even though they might sound quite good - even though they need to use a microphone in order for others to hear them.

Some kinds of singing will even damage a voice over the years if the type of singing continues for a good length of time.

Do you have music class and or a chorus at the school that you attend, please?

Thanks!
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Feb 23, 2009, 02:34 PM

Record yourself with a backup musician or during a karaoke session. Do YOU like what you hear? That can be very enlightening. Can you sing well a capella - with good tone and rhythm? If you can then you're probably pretty good, regardless of your range.

Cover female artists with lower voices. I think that Fiona Apple might have a lower voice. Write your own songs. Change the gender of the songs you like to sing. If the songs don't have a gender, don't worry about it.

What is your purpose for wanting to know how well you sing? Professional musicians obtain singers by audition or referral and you will learn quickly whether you have the chops.

Hobbyist and learning musicians will sometimes take less than stellar singers because it is often the singer that is the hardest position to fill in a group, and they aren't going up on stage anyway.

Clough makes a good point about a music class or choral group. The teacher or conductor should be able to help you learn and assess your talent.

Your friends are probably being honest. Bad musicians are hard to listen to, are usually walked out on, are dissed or otherwise ignored.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to sing, but how? [ 19 Answers ]

I am 13 years old but I want to start my singing career anytime now, if anyone knows how to start or someone who is an agent that can help me, please email me at >Removed< That would really help me a lot thanks Danielle :)

Sing Sing Prison [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a list anywhere that list all the people who were executed at Sing Sing Prison.

I can sing! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Nikkie I'm 21 I'm from Miami Florida,but I'm in Macon Georgia and I can sing!! I drove from Miami to Orlando to be on American Idol and I got a judge who was races and very rude!! Then I went to New Orleans and got the same judge!! I want to prove that I have a voice that will blow...

Who sing s the song? [ 2 Answers ]

It is about 10 - 15 years old The name of it is " you can't take it with you (when it's gone)" It is a country song I believe Thanks

View more questions Search