Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Feb 22, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Hsv2 preventing outbreaks?
    Is there anyway to prevent an outbreak, I hear that reducing stress is a good way to prevent an outbreak.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 08:57 PM

It supposedly plays a part in an outbreak but I don't believe it. Depending on just where on your body that you have your outbreaks, next time you feel the lesions coming on try daubing the area with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Walmart carries it. Once the lesions do appear and you use the 91% on them, it will sting like all get out but the lesions will disappear within a few days. A friend of mine totally eradicated her genital herpes using the 91% alcohol but we had to scrape her off the ceiling the first time she used it as it hurt a lot. She did say that she was able to do the daubing 2 times a day and dried up the lesions. The lesions did come back but she kept up with the daubing treatment 2 times a day even though she had no outbreaks. Her outbreaks ceased within 6 months. She did try everything under the sun and nothing worked except the 91%.

Feb 23, 2009, 05:06 PM

Hmm, Really, well actually I was just diagnosed with it, I am having my first out break but they are not actual soars it looks more like a rash unless that's just the beginning of it, I can't lie I'm scared as hell, so it pretty much dries up the lesions, I don't know sounds pretty painful.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 05:18 PM

It's not painful if the lesions are not broken skin type. It only stings for about 10 seconds tops. You want to get the rash before it actually breaks the skin. The alcohol dries up the rash. Use only the 91%. Costs $3 for a big bottle. Or you could spend a lot of money and keep having this come back and come back. The outbreaks get less and less as time goes on but depending on where the rash is now, that's basically where the rash and lesions will be for months on end.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 05:22 PM
    Physical and emotional stress can trigger outbreaks.

Something I've used for oral "cold sores", and talked to others about for genital outbreaks, is the use of a cream that is called melissa cream, lemon balm, melissa officinalis...

Cold Sore Relief (TM) - Soothing relief of cold sores, fever blisters, windburn, and chapping

My experience with oral "cold sores" is that this cream can dramatically diminish the outbreak, and seems to be able to decrease the occurrence dramatically. For genital sores, I've talked to one person who used it, at my suggestion, and said that it also seemed to help.

Something to keep in mind.

You mentioned you were recently diagnosed. One of the most important things to understand is that you can be asymptomatic while shedding virus, so proper protection is always suggested.

Feb 23, 2009, 06:10 PM

Right right, can there be any other side effects like dizziness and stuff like that while having an outbreak? so the rash actually leads to actual lesions? I will go get that after I get off work, and you said twice a day? With a cotton ball or something like that? Sorry I just haven't been through this yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preventing bloat [ 1 Answers ]

Took one of my AKC German Shepherds, 3 years old, to the Vet today for her shots. She's 126 pounds. He doesn't think she's overweight because she's very tall and her feet are as big as my hands. Anyway, she now outweighs me. I asked him about bloat - I did have a GSD that bloated and surgery...

Preventing sunburn! [ 1 Answers ]

So I'm one of those people who are pale like a kleenex and pretty much the only way I can tan is if I burn first. I recently found out I'm going to mexico this summer, and I want to know what I can do to help prevent the sunburn, besides wearing sunscreen. I'm so pale sunscreen alone probably won't...

Preventing wrinkles [ 2 Answers ]

In your opinion, is there any home remedies or close to home remedies like cocoa butter that can help prevent wrinkles or any that may naturally act as a sp factor for your skin? Thanks in advance.

Ex preventing me from other relationships [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I have a problem that I need understanding on. I have broken up with my girlfriend about 3 months ago that lasted about 1 1/2 years back in high school. Since then I have moved on to college with her going to a different school than me so we have both completely moved on. One of her good...

Preventing wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last year, I had a nest underneath my back door and both myself and my puppy were constantly being stung. This year, I sprayed and patched the space under the door before they appeared. But, before I did this, I checked for a nest and could not find one. I sprayed anyway. Since they haven't...

View more questions Search