Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnygirl16 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Will I Look Good In Dread Locks?
    Hey I'm 13 and I love the looks of dreads and I have been thinking about getting them for a while, but I'm scared they won't look good on me and dreads are a big change and if I look stupid with them I can't just get them gone right away. I really don't want to not get dreads and it turns out I would love them. Anyway can't post a pic so I have light skin with gray eyes and I have drackish light brown hair that goes down to about the top of my rib cage.
    PLEASE don't tell me that dreads are dirty or stuff like that. If you already have dreads please answer!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 08:01 PM

That's hard to tell without knowing what you look like...
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 09:57 PM

No I don't already have dreads... but to be honest, and I'm probably going to be reddied for this, but it is an opinion! if you are not a big Rastafari male I don't think dreads look very well.

Just my opinion, but as you say they are a big change and one I really believe will not look well.

Mar 9, 2009, 05:30 PM
    I think that is pretty racist I know a lot of white guys and girls how look AMZING with dreads and some of them are really scrawny. You don't have to be a Buff Black Guy to look good in dreads.

YEAH I'M TALKING TO YOU NEVERME
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 05:47 PM

I couldn't care less what you think, you asked for an opinion, this is mine!

Mar 9, 2009, 06:31 PM
    I was asking for what you would think of me in dreads not what you think people in dreads should look like. Really if you knew people would react badley to that you shouldn't have said that I was really looking for a yes no answer
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 06:44 PM

Sunny, your question was what we thought you'd look like and Never told you his opinion. The type of question you've posted is only asking for opinions and he gave his.

But as CM pointed out, we don't know what you look like so no one can tell you for sure and even if we did know, it's still opinions.

Some people like locks, some people don't. The decision on how you choose to wear your hair is a very personal one.

Typically kinky hair locks better than straight hair and, in my opinion, looks "neater". But I don't have dreads.
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 9, 2009, 07:12 PM

You need to find a Caucasian who already has them, and speak with that person about their experience with dreads. If you already know someone, then you already know the hygiene problems associated with them.

But then of course I also must ask this, are your parents prepared for you to have dreads? Are you prepared to have your head shaved to get rid of them?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 07:17 PM
    No
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 07:19 PM

No?
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

Mar 9, 2009, 08:50 PM
    Not unless you want to be discriminated against and profiled and like that kind of negative attention
    barbiechick123 Posts: 317, Reputation: 25

Mar 9, 2009, 09:14 PM

I can't tell if this is serious or not... but if it is, I would say NO!
    First ofall, based on your icon picture, you have really pretty hair as it is.. getting dreads will ruin it, especially if you're a caucasian teenage girl... and that's not racist, it's just saying white teenage girls don't generally look good in dreads. Plus, if you get them and you don't like them, you might need to take serious unfortinate measures to get them off.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Doesn't matter what you look like if you get b!tchy with people who take time to give opinions.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    doesnt matter what you look like if you get b!tchy with people who take time to give opinions.
    Kp, I love you. :p
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    kp, i love you. :p
    I love me too! =)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 08:03 PM

Maybe you could try and get a Wig and see what it looks like?

Mar 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Now if you have dreads and you don't want them anymore you can just get it undreaded not shaved but I know a lot about dreads :) and also I take racism VERY serously a lot of times when I hear people making fun of different races it makes me mad and just that the person said that dreads only look good on black males I just feel someone should say something. I KNOW a lot of people would say I'm beging a but the truth is it's something I have always hated and it really gets to me.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 02:01 PM

I'd have to say if your hair is naturally straight dreads look awful. All nappy and half done. I think you need naturally curly hair for dreads to form right.

Also remember that when you want rid of them you might need to shave your head. So ask yourself- can I pull off a shaved head?

Will I look like Natalie Portman in V for vendetta or a this guy?Google Image Result for http://blogidaho.biz/uglydogsam.jpg

EDIT

I know its not always required but sometimes it is they best way
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 02:07 PM

My opinion on dreads is that on a lot of people they just look like they are trying too hard. Which is never a good look.

It's a bit like mohicans, some people look the business, other just look like wannabes.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl16 View Post
    and also I take racism VERY serously alot of times when i hear people making fun of different races it makes me mad and just that the person said that dreads only look good on black males i just feel someone should say something.
    Ill concede your point cause your opinion is your opinion.

Is it wrong of me to say I think a fit, black man in a suit most of the time looks rock star better than a fit white guy?

I'm a fit white guy.

I'm not jealous. I just think its true.

One of my best friends in HS had dreads. White guy. Played jazz sax. Drove an old school vw bug until he burned up the engine.

The fact is, dreads looked a little grungy on him.

Sorry... but I think a shaved bald black man usually wears it better than a shaved bald white dude.

Call me racist. Screw it. I grew up in as mixed a neighborhood as any.

It isn't racist to state one thinks dreads are best worn on black men anymore than it is sexist to say 3 inch heels look better on a woman than a man.

So... its easy to pick a fight when you want to.

But really... don't assume a member says dreads look best on a black man because that person is stereotyping.

In all honestly, that person has answered your question in complete honesty... they don't like dreads on many others.

What? Is it OK for a fat guy to wear a thong at the beach cause others do? Yes and no. yes, its his prerogative. No, its not usually pleasing to most.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace locks out. [ 1 Answers ]

My gas furnace ignites for a few seconds then it stop. It does this cycle 4/5 times then locks out. Blower works fine in "on" or "auto". Red light flashes by the ignition module after it locks out. I pulled out the tube at the pressure switch (one tube, two wires model) and the red light turns off....

Car locks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ford excursion in which the door locks do not function well. When I push the button on my remote key pad, maybe 2 doors will lock and the rest will not. Or I push the master lock on the driver door and the samething will happen. Is there a battery or something that requires replacement?...

Treaure locks [ 3 Answers ]

hello pretty lady, I value your opinion and your sincerity very much, would u to tell me if this product is good or just like copra and rio it is called natural laxer and they claim it is not a relaxer just to improve the texure of the hair. Thank u.

Dread locks? [ 1 Answers ]

Does any body know what products our good for twisting african american hair into dread locks? I heard bees wax isn't good because it breaks the hair, so what should I use and how do I do it? Thank you kindly:D

Plumbing air locks [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do to remove an air lock from a recent repair in a domestic system

View more questions Search