Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A Baker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Painful teeth/jaw
    I have had a recurrent abscess in my gums for over a year that does NOT respond to anti biotics, my dentist finally decided to remove my wisdom tooth last week. The aneasthic did not work at all and I was in agony when he tried to remove it, (he said it must be because I still had an active abscess) he meanwhile broke my wisdom tooth and left me in agony with a broken tooth that catches continually on my gums and my mouth and jaw is in agony (as he kept trying to get me to open wider) I can't eat or sleep with the pain and the anti biotics he gave me again do not work (course is finished completely) the pain killers are also not working! I have another appointment in two weeks time where he is going to try and remove it again! I cannot go through the agony again - I can't see him being anymore able to remove it again and I will be left in severe pain again! Why are the anti biotics not working please? And why did the anesthetic not work, I had two injections and neither worked?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 11:34 AM

You should consult with an oral surgeon since the tooth has been broken. The surgeon will put you "out" so you won't have to endure this procedure awake.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 11:35 AM

Hi... firstly that does not sound to me like a very competent dentist.
    He should not have sent you away with any sharp edges left in your mouth, this is usually the last thing they check before you leave the surgery.

Secondly, there is no way that he should have performed an extraction, without first checking the area was completely void of feeling before pulling the tooth.

Thirdly, he should have made sure that the abscess was drained and that the infection was under control/gone completely, before he even atempted such a procedure.

This dentist cannot possibly send you away in such pain, after his quite obvious mistakes,expecting you to cope a further two weeks, until he decides that he will have another go at cleaning up his previous mess.

My advice to you is, seek out another dentist, who is reputable and let him correct the previous mistakes.

If you have to wait a while, to see another dentist, go see your Doctor, explain your pain and the cause... I am absolutely certain that he will perscibe some medication too relieve your pain.

Goodluck
    A Baker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Thank you to you both! I didn't think he was supposed to do any of those things, but having moved to a new area and having to start over with a new dentist, I thought it must just be just a different way of doing things!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 02:21 PM

When pulling wisdom teeth, most dentists have a hard time due to the location of the teeth. Had your teeth been impacted and not through the gumline, you would have been referred to an oral surgeon.

The breaking off your tooth is nothing new. I would, however, consult with the oral surgeon and see if he thinks the dentist was wrong in how he handled your tooth extraction. Then, you can take the oral surgeon's bill (once the tooth is removed) back to the original dentist and ask for some sort of compensation for fixing his mistake. He may or may not give you any money towards the bill but claim that due to the infection he did his best. It is worth a try though to recover some of the money spent on the surgeon.

Tooth pain and jaw pain are horrible when you have a broken tooth to contend with. I broke a molar and the sharp edge kept slicing my tongue until my tongue was raw hamburger so I very well comiserate with how you feel.

Good dentists are hard to find like a good mechanic for your car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard and painful to get partial teeth removed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me. I just had partial tooth replacement done. I had immediately before they put them in had 2 extractions. Now it feels as if the partials are stukc to either the stiches or the site of the extractions and it hurts and is hard to get them out. Can anyone...

It's so painful. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm assuming some of you people have read my other posts about me liking a guy who lives so far away and well I thought I should let you guys know that well he kind of ended it a while ago and I was in denial about long distance relationships never working out so I knew it was true but I...

Painful sex after 50 [ 8 Answers ]

It has been 9 years since I have had sex, it very painful to have anything inside me. What can I do to change this??

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

More painful? [ 2 Answers ]

So, is it more painful to get tatooed on the underside of your wrist or your neck than other parts of your body? Cause those are the places I want to be tatooed, but everyone tells me the pain hurt twice as much. I'm not afraid of the pain though, I was just curious!

View more questions Search