Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gertuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 05:05 AM
    Living in China state taxes
    I will be living in China for most of the year, the rest of the year I will stay with my family in Pennsylvania. I am retiring from the school system and they want me to file state tax. When I go what do I do about Georgia state taxes from my retirement?
    Do I have to pay state taxes in Georgia if I do not live in Georgia any more?

Do I have to pay Pennsylvania state taxes if I do not live in Pennsylvanaia for more than 6 months?

Do you know any good sites for taxes when living abroad?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 07:25 AM
    You definitely have to pay taxes where your home is located, which, in your case, would be Pennsylvania.

Georgia will also require you pay Georgia taxes on the income that you received from a Georgia source (and the state retirement system IS a Georgia source). However, it is likely that Pennsylvania will giove you a credit, probably dollar-for-dollar, for the taxes you pay to Georgia. You will have to pay Pennsylvania taxes on a pro-rated basis if your home is located in Pennsylvania on Dec 31, 2006.

Most of your standard tax preparation tax sites do state taxes as well. I know TaxAct (www.taxact.com) will do both GA and PA state taxes in conjunction with your federal tax return.
    gertuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    You definitely have to pay taxes where your home is located, which, in your case, would be Pennsylvania.

Georgia will also require you pay Georgia taxes on the income that you received from a Georgia source (and the state retirement system IS a Georgia source). However, it is likely that Pennsylvania will giove you a credit, probably dollar-for-dollar, for the taxes you pay to Georgia. You will have to pay Pennsylvania taxes on a pro-rated basis if your home is located in Pennsylvania on Dec 31, 2006.

Most of your standard tax preparation tax sites do state taxes as well. I know TaxAct (www.taxact.com) will do both GA and PA state taxes in conjunction with your federal tax return.
    What is I do not have a permanent home but live with family in Penn and Maryland.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Have you ever filed taxes in either PA or MD? If not, then you may have to only pay Georgia tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in NY state, company based in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I guess I have a similar question posed by one of the member, but in a reversed order. I live in NY, but my company is based in NJ. I work for a consulting firm and currently my project is based in NY state. My company has been deducting NJ taxes for past 1 yr. 1) I am confused right...

NY State tax filing living in NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I stayed in NJ for the whole of year 2005. I received income for December 2005 from Hawthorne, NY. It is below 7,500$. I have enclosed both nj and ny w2 for federal taxes and filed NJ state tax as well. Do I have to file for NY state taxes too? Thanks, Diwakar By the way, my w2...

Inheritance money will I be taxed for living in another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I recently inherited some money from a home which my mother sold as part of our inheritance (4) children. The problem is that the property is located in Puerto rico and my mother has just informed me that her lawyer said we will not be able to claim the money until this coming year tax return ...

Fed, State and City - NYC living and working [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I’ve just started working in NYC and living in NYC. From some research, I understand I need to pay federal, NY State, and NY City taxes on my gross income after adjusting/deducting the gross income for some exemptions and deductions. Also understand two options under deductions exist –...

Taxes for a J1 visa living in NY and working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a Non resident alien under J1 visa and French permanent resident. It is my first tax return in the US. I live in NY and have worked both in NY (5% of time) and in NJ. So I filled up the forms 1040NR for the federal return, 8833 for the French-US exemption but also IT-203 , IT-203 ATT for...

View more questions Search