Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megssk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 08:10 PM
    H1-B to Green card via Marriage
    Hello.

My H1-B will run out on this Septamber. I recently got engaged to an american citizen and we are going to have weding in Septamber.

Should we get married before wedding by civil service and start ajustment of status BEFORE my current visa run out? Then have a wedding?
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Feb 22, 2009, 06:48 AM

Always better to have maintained valid immigration status.

If there is no other problem with getting married earlier, get married and file the AOS before your H-1B expires. Certainly nothing wrong with the "big wedding" after the civil ceremony (pix good for your AOS applicaiton). Even if you miss it and marry afterwards, section 245(a) will allow approval of PR even with the I-94 overstay and unauthorized employment.

Remember, the EAD takes about 90 days to be issued so file ASAP. Also be consistent on the date you list for your wedding (civil not the ceremonial). If this was helpful, rate this answer. Good luck and congratulations!
    kumarpaturiesq Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2009, 11:35 PM

You should not worry as the overstay will be waived by uscis, it is better to file after a ceremony as pictures of a nice wedding help at the interview

Kumar paturi esq
    h1bfirm.com
    megssk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 05:54 AM

Thank you for your reply. But the problem is, if I over stay and worked, Isn't that make me out of valid statis and give me problem later on when I apply?
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Feb 27, 2009, 11:53 AM

Please see the earlier replies, with marriage to a USC--the I-94 overstay and unauthorized employment are forgiven by USCIS under section 245(a).

Please consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Howt o get a green card [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the US ARMED FORCES My wife is an illegal immigrant and resides in the U.S what is the penalty for her when I apply for her green card? Does she need to leave the country?

USA green card [ 4 Answers ]

Could somebody tell me what to do we want to immagrate to the USA my husband is working already there and me and my children want to go also

H4-OPT-F1-Greencard question [ 1 Answers ]

My husband came to US on March 7th 2003 on a H4 visa, changed to F1 on November 5th 2004 and worked with an OPT until Sept 30th 2005, after which he got his green card. For the previous 2 years we filed our taxes jointly using my resident status (1040A). His company has given him two W-2s, one...

View more questions Search