Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blue Hen Mom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Bad control board
    We have an older Trane gas furnace (TUC series) and the control board went bad (model 50e47-060). The furnace would come on, but there was no signal to the ignitor per the technician who wanted to charge almost $1K to replace the control board. With money being so tight, we purchased a new board on our own, part #cnt03776, model 50e47-860, and installed it per the instructions. The furnace worked for about a day, but we are evidently having the same problem. The furnace kicks on, you can hear it preheating, and you can hear the click to send the signal to the ignitor but nothing. The light on the board is solid green, indicating normal function. Does anyone have any ideas about what we should look at next to get some heat? And is it possible that we may have shorted out the new board? Thanks in advance for your help!
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Have you checked the ignitor? These fail more frequently than ignition modules. Look for a crack or pit near the center of the element. Handle with the same care you would an egg, and don't touch the element with your bare hands.

Feb 21, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Have you checked the ignitor? These fail more frequently than ignition modules. Look for a crack or pit near the center of the element. Handle with the same care you would an egg, and don't touch the element with your bare hands.
    The technician did say it looked pretty rough and would probably need replacing soon. Thank you for your input... I'll definitely check that out.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:16 PM

After you hear the click signaling the glow plug to come on, do you hear another click shortly after(say ten to thirty seconds later) that turns the gas valve on(you should be able to hear the flow of gas if this is happening). If so(and glow plug never glows, then I'm betting you need a knew glow plug(igniter). If you or somebody you know is handy with a multimeter, you could test wires going to glow plug to see if you are getting 120v when glow plug should be glowing. If you get 120, then definitely a bad plug. If no voltage, then the problem lies elsewere. Please let us know what you find.

Feb 22, 2009, 06:41 PM
    Well, we got the ignitor out... and the wire has been spliced to add about another inch to the lead wires. Now I'm concerned that the replacement part # on the ignitor's connector, B144676P01 is not correct. It also has another number, Norton 271N on it. Is it normal to splice wires on an ignitor?
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 06:59 PM

Yes, you can splice the wires(as long as igniter is same voltage,usually 120v.) There are many universal igniters out there that requir splicing of the wires. As long as the igniter mounts correctly and is located exactly the same as the old one, you will be fine splicing the wires. Just make sure that all braiding around wire is intact outside of splice.

Here is what I recommend for splicing. Don't cut the connector off the control side. Cut the connector off the old glow plug and the new glow plug.(leave enough wire for splicing). Now splice the connecter from the original plug to the new plug, this way you will be able to use the quick connect on the furnace. Also in the future if you need to change the igniter, you will still have the quick connecter at the furnace. Let me know if this is making sense. And please let me know if the glow plug fixes your problem.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 07:26 PM
    With the ignitor out, look closely at the surface of the heating element. Any cracks and/or pits, particularly near the center? If so, replace it. Try to find an OEM replacement if at all possible.

Feb 26, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Well, thank you for your input. We got a new ignitor, installed it, and we now have heat! Not sure what you mean by an OEM ignitor, but we purchased the same make and model that was in the unit (looks like a long M with a flint-ish surface). All in all, this was a HUGE learning experience for us. And the cost to repair it on our own was much less than the vendor, $350 versus $1030. Thank you all again for taking the time to answer my questions!
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:27 AM
    Don't sweat that vendor - they will find a replacement victim soon enough... :rolleyes:
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 05:56 PM

Glad you got it fixed by yourself. Good job.

Apr 5, 2009, 05:21 AM

Hi... I'm back... heater's not working again. First, we replaced the control board as indicated above, then we replaced the glow stick. Now, the new board indicates a lockout. I've reset the system twice. You can hear the cycling series but again the blower is not coming on. My husband says he checked and there is power getting to the igniter. Any ideas?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 05:45 AM
    Have you checked ? Is there power going to the blower?

This is a big problem with Trane equipment,, we label them along with Lennix as junk
    If its old as you say, it might be time to think about upgrading to a new and more fuel saving furnace,, when they get old they will dollar you to death
    Goodluck
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jul 13, 2010, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hen Mom View Post
    Well, thank you for your input. We got a new ignitor, installed it, and we now have heat!! Not sure what you mean by an OEM ignitor, but we purchased the same make and model that was in the unit (looks like a long M with a flint-ish surface). All in all, this was a HUGE learning experience for us. And the cost to repair it on our own was much less than the vendor, $350 versus $1030. Thank you all again for taking the time to answer my questions!
    =
    I think the ignitor could have been replaced for about 120 bucks in say 60 minutes if I was there. Did you buy a spare ignitor too? For 150 bucks I would have offered you a full fix and a spare ignitor... at least you have the board replaced. I would send it back if you can... then your repair will be closer to the cost of a technician's rate but the time involved is still much of a nuisance. Those ignitors get calcified from the flame. You can't clean them. Its not the best ignition but easy to replace! I check them with resistance not voltage. Once they get dirty or a hairline or pit they start to read differently. Voltage of course gives you the tell tail sign of off or on; however, you can measure the resistance to see how soon you will need a new one...
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jul 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hen Mom View Post
    Hi.....I'm back....heater's not working again. First, we replaced the control board as indicated above, then we replaced the glow stick. Now, the new board indicates a lockout. I've reset the system twice. You can hear the cycling series but again the blower is not coming on. My husband says he checked and there is power getting to the igniter. Any ideas?
    =
    moisture in the pressure switch is a common failure... and easily rectified. Take off the 1/4" tube from the inducer motor from the switch and suck on it honey. If it clicks and the flame comes on your problem is moisture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Furnace Control Board? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58PAV that intermittently aborts or sometimes clicks on and off at the draft blower stage. I found out I can move the control board (HK42FZ007) when the blower motor clicks off, and it clicks and comes right back on. If I hold it just right, the furnace starts and if I manage to...

Control board [ 4 Answers ]

I'm working on a forced hot air furnace that's in a basement that got flooded and the furnace was only on 2-4 so it looks like the whole blower motor and control board transformer got flooded. I responded to a no heat call today check the unit the unit won't do nothing, it has power coming from...

Control board [ 1 Answers ]

My control board seems to not be working the light won't come on it is a goodman 90% furnace I do not have the home owners book for it

Can I install a fan control board? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a broke, but resourceful guy who got a quote from an HVAC company to install a new fan control board in my Ducan furance for $420. He wrote to part numbers on the estimate. Ducane part 20430801 (Ducane) & ST9160B1076 (Honeywell). He told me it would take him 1-1.5 hrs to install. To make...

How much would it cost to buy a control board. [ 4 Answers ]

Can I buy a control board at Lowe's or Home Depot or do I have to order?

View more questions Search