Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve4521 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Feb 21, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Border crossing into Canada
    I have a misdemeanour and the alleged events happened in May 1995, but the Canadian authorities are equating this to a Canadian law that wasn't passed until 1997... is this legal? I ask because they are counting this misdemeanour as a "serious" criminal offense. Just doesn't seem fair to do that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4521 View Post
    I have a misdemeanour and the alleged events happened in May 1995, but the Canadian authorities are equating this to a Canadian law that wasn't passed until 1997...is this legal? I ask because they are counting this misdemeanour as a "serious" criminal offense. Just doesn't seem fair to do that.

Crossing the Border is a privilege, not a right. "They" can do anything they want, make any rules they want, concerning arrest records.

I don't understand the "alleged events" part. Were you found guilty or not?

Feb 21, 2009, 11:57 AM
    That's irrelevant.

If you're going to answer my question above please post it.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4521 View Post
    That's irrelevant.

If you're going to answer my question above please post it.

If you want to know what's fair - and take a public poll - post on a discussion board. If you want legal advice, ask here.

This is a legal thread, not a chat site. You cannot dictate how your questions will be answered.

You might also want to look up the spelling of misdemeanor before you take legal action in this matter.

You posted on an Immigration Board - are you immigrating or just visiting?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 12:09 PM

Their nation as the US are free to pass laws that they wish. So as they view the standing of crimianal offenses, they may do this.

If you disagree you can file a complaint in their courts to challenge the legality. Now they are not under the US constitution, so you will have to base your challenge on Canada law

Feb 21, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Well just because they don't have the Constitution doesn't mean that they are ruled by laws. Equating an offence in the US to an offence in Canada when the Canadian law din't exist seems not right. Guess I'm going to have to hire a Canadian attorney to help me with this.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:29 PM

Come back and let us know what advice the Attorney has for you.

I have no idea what "they don't have the Constitution" means.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    Fr_Chuck agrees: Canada is not ruled by the US Constitution ( well not yet anyway).[/QUOTE]

Pending the invasion, of course.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indian Status Cards and Border Crossing [ 6 Answers ]

I was just wondering if you can still use an Indian Status card for travel to the US, and if so what would be the secondary piece of ID to use if the Status card is primary?

Border crossing with a felony [ 6 Answers ]

If you have a dwi in canada 9 years old and you have an indian status card can you still cross over the U.S border for a visit

Crossing the candian border [ 1 Answers ]

OK my name is Matt... I am on probation for possession and distribution for 2 years. I live a little outside of Detroit, MI and I used to go to canada to gamble and drink. I know friends that have gotten across the border while on probation which I also no is illegal. My question is if I go...

Usa border crossing [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a metis I have a status card, my quistion is I tried cross the usa border and was refused enter,, they said I did'nt look indain and it might be a fake card,, I have documents going back 13 generations my mom birth card her statis card and my brothers to my mom and brothers are a photo copy of...

Crossing over [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Is crossing over a kind of mutation?

View more questions Search