Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debo31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Dog behavior
    If I get my 2 year old Shih Tzu neutered will he stop marking his territory by urinating and also stop humping my leg?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 12:41 PM

Yes, this will curb this behaviour. Having him neutered is one of the best things you can do for him. He will have less health problems, like cancer just to mention one, fewer behavioural problems, and overall he will be a better dog. Please make an appt. and have him neutered. That is best for him. So many people don't understand the benefits of neutering. It will not only make him a calmer dog, it will save you an awful lot of money in vet bills as he ages. I'm sure you want him around to live out his life for a long time. Neutering him will extend his life. Please do this for his benefit. It will also stop him from trying to escape, like Shih Tzu's like to do, when he smells a female in heat, because they will do anything to get to that female. We don't need anymore unwanted puppies that end up in our shelters.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by debo31 View Post
    If I get my 2 year old Shih Tzu neutered will he stop marking his territory by urinating nd also stop humping my leg?
    Yes, neutering him will help a great deal in curbing his unwanted behaviour. This is the best thing you can do for your dog, for his health and his personality.

Good luck. :)
    canady Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Feb 24, 2009, 07:27 AM
    As a dog breeder or 25 years, it has been my experience that spaying and neutering will not stop hiking and or humping, it may not be as frequent or last as long, but for the most part it will not stop completely, both male and females do it. It is a behavior pattern that is annoying and should be stopped every time they do it, to try and break the obsession, which sometimes does work and sometimes does not. They will also find pillows, stuffed animals, as well as legs. There are many theories as to why some dogs do this and it does not really matter because it has never really been figured out. The matter of fact is that all pets should be spayed and or neutered for their own well being, health and temperament. In the end your dog will be healthier with less trips to the vet, have a more stable personality, and less imbalances due to hormones, and the biggest point of all, there are no more chances of careless accidental breedings and puppies in a world where there are already far too many.

Good luck!
    Canady

The natural forces within us are the healers of disease – Hippocrates
    Ninji Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Boredom, plain and simple. The humping is pleasurable and it passes the time.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji View Post
    boredom, plain and simple. the humping is pleasurable and it passes the time.
    First, this is a really old thread, please check the dates before posting.

As for humping because of boredom, not true. The advice given before was accurate, yours is not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 07:45 PM

Closed, please do not post to old threads

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

My cat just started to sit quietly in her clean litter box yesterday. Today she started to roll around in her clean litter box happily. I can't understand what's going on?

Cat behavior [ 2 Answers ]

My usually pretty independent cat is suddenly very clingy to me. She follows me around, sleeps with me now and NEVER did before. She keeps jumping on my desk here even as if to "check on me". She's never been this clingy to me. I've heard of cats sensing things so this is scaring me.. any ideas? ...

Dog behavior [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old female Doxie who has been fixed. She is very possesive off me. I am considering getting another sml breed puppy and would like advise on what breed goes with a doxie and would she get along best with a male or female.

Odd Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

I have just recently moved into a new apartment and my cat is finally settled realizing this is her home but when I pour her food she scratches on the floor and wall around her dish like they do in the litter box before she eats. Is there any specific reason for this??

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

View more questions Search