Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PatHebert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 08:51 AM
    97 dodge ram problems
    Hi,
    I have a 97 ram 1500 with a 5.9 gas engine. I had to replace the trans and now the truck won't start. I need to know how to test the pcm if possible? I've replaced the cam sensor, crank sensor, coil, dist. cap rotor. My fuel pump is not kicking on and I have no spark. I do have power to pcm with ignition on but no voltage coming from pcm to asd. I have been told that the pcm is bad but I don't know if they were guessing or not. Truck been sitting almost a year now and I don't want to spend more money on parts that I don't need.
    Thanks

Any suggestions?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:57 AM

. Test all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Locate fuel pump fuse and relay, in the underhood fuse/relay box. Remove and clean contacts going to each--apply dielectric grease. Ensure relay works.

. Test for codes.

. Test PCM for 5 reference volts, using a multimeter, going to the MAP Sensor connector, when the ignition switch is turned to ON:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...pe=414&PTSet=A

Attach positive probe to socket, negative probe to ground.

. Locate and clean main PCM ground.

. Check ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 Dodge AC Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. The AC has not worked since I bought the truck, I was told it needed a new compressor. The clutch on the old compressor was not engaging at all, so I bought a remanufactured compressor from AutoZone. Now it will not take any freon. I added ester oil and it...

Dodge A/C problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V-8 and my airconditioning cools just fine while I am driving but as soon as I stop at a light for any length of time or put it in park it stops cooling until I get moving again.

Dodge charging problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1991 dodge pickup with a 318. And I keep having the alternators going out within a week after putting it on and I can't figure out what's causing the problem. So can someone help me out here

01 dodge ram overdrive problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2001 dodge ram, my problem is that my engine light came on and stayed on a week ago, now for no reason my truck shifts in and out of overdrive, can anybody help, we need our truck we are a motocross family.

My dodge spirits problems? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1990 3.0 v6 dodge spirit with 150000 miles. Ever since I got it its had a problem with overheating although I'm not sure its over heating. The temp gauge is fine but after driving around for awhile it starts to chug and then just dies and won't restart for at least 30 minutes. Also just...

View more questions Search