Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacjlo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Changing 2 prong electrical receptacles without a ground to three prong with ground
    How can I change all the two prong receptacles without a ground mounted in plastic outlets boxes to 3 prong receptacles with ground ?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 09:19 AM

If your electricity is working properly, you are grounded.

If you do not have a ground, the best way would be to rewire the entire circuit from the breaker to the end of the circuit.

As an alternate, you can use GFCI receptacles and mark them as ungrounded.

Question, why are you so sure the circuit is ungrounded?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing electrical wiring on a dryer to fit a 4 prong socket [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: trying to change the electric dryer cord from a three prong to a 4 prong. When opening the back of the dryer, there is only three wiring spots and the 4 prong.. is there a safe way to rig this? HELP!!

Replacing 2-prong receptacle with 3-Prong -NO GROUND WIRE [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there! I was wondering if someone can tell me how exactly I go about doing this safely. I have an existing 2 prong ungrounded plug... theres no ground to this receptacle... old metal box does not seem to be grounded either. I would like to replace this receptacle with a 3 prong GFCI...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

Changing a 4 prong to 3 prong [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved and my dryer is a 4 prong and I need to change it to a 3 prong. I am not sure which wires go where. I had a black, white,red and green. Do I take the green ground wire and attach it to the white neutral? My new wires all all neutrasl with the middle being the white.

View more questions Search