Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lipper44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 07:19 PM
    2 * 6 vs 2 * 4 framing
    We are building a new house in Northwest Ohio. Approximately 3200 sq. feet 2 story with 9' ceilings in basement and on first floor. Builder suggests 2 *6 (R19) vs 2 *4 (R15). Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 07:26 PM

Assuming the code there even allows 2x4 framing. As a builder I always go with 2x6 ext framing 16'o.c.
    In long term for heat and cooling reasons you end up making up the diff cost in studs and insul.
    As far as I'm concerned 2x4s are for interior walls. The 2x4 ext walls are a spin off from the 50,60, when heat was cheap and central air conditioning was not common

The chart site below could help you on your decision.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer...nsulation.html

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2009, 08:18 AM

Even in Virginia it is typical, and probably required by code for exterior walls to be 2x6. Trust me, you won't regret having the added insulation!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace Framing [ 7 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and this weekend I went to start a fire. When I did this I found that there is a gap of about 6" between the brick and wood framing for the fireplace mantle. This poses a severe fire risk as burning hot amber could roll into that gap and start my house on fire. This gap is...

Basement framing over 1x3 [ 4 Answers ]

Looking to redo a couple semi finished rooms in my basement. One of the rooms is already finished with 1x3 furringstrips and paneling. I plan on removing the paneling but what about the furring strips? They are attached to masonary walls with nails. If I start ripping them out won't that do a...

Framing nailer [ 1 Answers ]

Can I used clipped head and a full head nails in a portal-cable FC350A framing nailer.

Roof framing [ 1 Answers ]

How to lay out and cut roof rafters

Framing a 960 Sqf addition [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post but here goes. As the title says, I'm framing a 960 Sqf addition and I need some expert advice on what to do with a section on the sheer wall. Here is my problem, The wall that the addition is connected to has to be sheer wall. Normally the...

View more questions Search