Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brshoegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Charged sick time on salary
    I work in Virginia, I am a salary employee, my salary is based on 40 hrs a week, currently I am working 6 days a week at 46 hours. If I take 2 hrs for a doctors appointment, can I be dock 2 hours of sick time, when I have exceed my 40 hour work week?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2009, 06:58 PM

No you can't be docked for a partial day
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 07:40 PM

First salary is not "based" on a number of hours, it is merely salary for the job. If you work 30 hours that week or 70 hours that week, you receive the same amount of money.

There are federal min requirements, so to be on real salary you must be paid at least that amount.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 24, 2009, 12:10 PM

What the regulations say are exempt employees may be docked for one whole day for personal reasons. If you work part of a day you must be paid for the whole day.

This is in the Fair Labor Standards Act on the Department of labor Web Site found under the Exemptions to the act.

Salaried exempt are exempt from the FLSA as far as overtime is concerned but there are rules on how these exemptions are to be treated.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary Exempt Holiday/Sick Pay [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Salary Exempt employee. I was provided with two weeks vacation pay, but no personal or sick days. When I have missed work due to illness I have had to use my vacation days to cover the missed time. Is this legal? Also, when the Owner of the company I work for decided to close for the day...

Salary requirement while out on sick leave [ 4 Answers ]

Our company policy for all employees requires use of sick or vacation time for days out. Also, we require on line time clock for all employees. We have a department manager that seldom adheres to the time clock policy. Recently, she was gone for over three weeks with a claim of sick time. She...

Salary treatment with Sick and Vacation pay [ 2 Answers ]

If you are salaried at 40 hours per week and you have company paid vacation and sick leave how do you calculate your pay for the week if you are absent for 4 hours of one day.

View more questions Search