Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thumper2469 Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Feb 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
    The first time a female is in heat
    I'm going to ask a question and I don't care if someone is a goody goody with the answer I'm just curious, is it safe to breed a dog the first time it comes in heat?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 05:23 PM

Check with AKA breed listings and their recommendations.

Breeding a dog, when you are not a "breeder" is a call for those who have opinions to rake you over the coals. There are too many puppies, not enough responsible owners.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 09:12 AM

If we're goody-goodies, does that make you a badie-badie? I'm still waiting to hear what arguments run in favor of backyard breeding? What's your purpose in putting your dog through a whole lot of unnecessary pain and work in which she'll also be risking her life? Breeding without knowing what you're doing is actually dangerous to your dog, to her puppies and to the pedigree you think you love. Go ask your vet what they think. If you don't believe us, you should certainly believe them. What motives would any of us have to lie about this? Your vet could make more money if your dog or her pups wind up with medical issues. I still don't believe they'll recommend it to you as long as you don't know every single thing you would need to know about breeding. Not being informed is plain old selfish. We're trying to help you and your dog, period. This is about YOU, not US.

I've included the following questions in another thread. I'm hoping you can answer them.
    I have asked these in the past to others in situations similar to yours, so don't think that you're being singled out.

1.) where did you get your dogs from? Many responsible breeders have all of their non-professional (in the dog world) adopters sign a contract that requires them to have their dogs fixed. Did you get your dogs from a professional breeder? Or did you go by way of pet shop? Please share this information so that we can help you to understand the situation in the best way possible.

2.) what experience have you had with breeding?

3.) what do you know about breeding and genetics? How did you establish that the dogs you bred are genetically compatible to rule out defects and encourage qualities considered ideal for the breed?

4.) when did you have your dogs genetically tested? What did you get them tested for? At a minimum, both parents should get hips, eyes and thyroid. Would you mind posting the results?

5.) what do you know about properly caring for the pregnant mother? What foods and supplements has she been given since the insemination? What supplements was she given in the period preceding the pregnancy?

4.) in what ways are you prepared to handle an emergency situation during the birthing process?

5.) would you be able to accept the possibility of having the mother dog die during the birth?

6.) are you aware of all potential costs involved in puppy rearing? Are you financially prepared to handle any medical situation that may arise?

7.) what experience do you have with training puppies and dogs, most importantly in relationship to the extraordinarily important changes that take place during the first eight weeks?

8.) will you be requiring the owners to fix their pet-grade dogs through a signed and binding contract, as is the most common practice of professional, reputable breeders?

9.) if the new owners decide to no longer keep the dog for whatever reason and at any time, would you require the owners to return the dogs to you just as ALL professional, reputable breeders do?

10.) what research have you done regarding responsible breeding practices?

11.) have you learned by having a professional, responsible breeder take you under their wing?

12.) what books, if any, have you read on the subject of dog breeding? Where have you gotten the information necessary for the breeding of mini dachshunds in particular?

13.) tell me everything you know about the crisis of backyard breeding.

Trust that there are many people here with a great deal of experience with dog care, and every single one of them has the dogs' best interest in mind. Everyone is here to help pet owners in the care of their animals and in making the best, most responsible choices across the board.

Let's take a moment to look at some of the facts pertaining to backyard breeding.

Please read the information shared on this site. I think it will give you a better understanding of the situation and explain why it's significant.
    Dog-Play: Thinking about breeding your wonderful dog?

Now, I know you think that you've found forever homes for these pups, but are you aware that most dogs are actually rehomed at least once in their lifetime? Most of the dogs that are in the pike of the overpopulation problem have come from backyard breeders. I'll bet that none of those home breeding moms and dads ever thought (or even know) that their beloved puppies wound up in shelters, but it's the awful truth of the matter. And, yes, a surprisingly large percentage of those are purebreds.

http://home.comcast.net/~NoPuppyMill..._breeder_.html
    "Up to 8 million healthy animals are killed in U.S. pounds and shelters every year. The majority of killing could easily be prevented by spaying OR neutering. Euthanasia is the single largest cause of death for dogs in the U.S. Each year 27 million DOGS are born. 8 or more million we classify as "surplus" ARE killed. That's about ¾ million per month. These numbers do not include the millions of dead dogs whose bodies we scrape off the streets, the growing number that are put to sleep at vets' offices or the hundreds of thousands THAT ARE abandoned. "

http://www.21stcenturycares.org/backyardbreeders.htm
    "So, why are back yard breeders a problem? Well, they just breed dogs for the sake of it. They may have a sweet pet they want to try and reproduce or they think that their dogs are quality because they have papers and/or are registered with some registry. They think maybe they can make a few dollars selling pups, etc. They just put out dogs without real consideration for the future of not only the breed but the puppies produced.

Often, BYBs breed dogs with faults. This perpetuates fault and problems in the breed. They do nothing to prove their dogs are of sound temperament and that they are breeding good representatives of the breed, etc. They just breed."
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper2469 View Post
    i'm gonna ask a question and i dont care if someone is a goody goody with the answer i'm just curious, is it safe to breed a dog the first time it comes in heat?
    If you don't know the answer to this question then you are not knowledgeable enough to breed. Breeding is more than putting a male and female dog together and having puppies.

Do your research, if you really care about dogs then speak to licensed breeders, do the homework required to breed responsibly, realize that legitimate breeding costs a lot of money, time, effort. Or, you can just do what you want and screw the consequences of your actions.

As for being a goody goody, I'll take that as a compliment. I'd rather be looked down on because I stand up for animal rights then be a person who doesn't give a damn about the animals he/she brings into the world or the ones being destroyed because of his/her greed.

But, I'm very sure I'm talking to a brick wall, like so many other backyard breeders that come here for advice.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 02:03 PM

Thumper, we read your opinions on your latest bashing of us. It seems you have no information to back up any of your ridiculous comments! I feel awfully sad for any animals that are under your care. It's people like you that should not have any animals at all. You don't have a clue what you are doing, or the consequences to other innocent dogs. I'm just sickened by this.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 02:19 PM

Take a good look Thumper! Is this how much you love your dog?

Click on the link on my question at the top, and then come back and give your defense!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...rs-285842.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Female in heat started peeing in the house [ 2 Answers ]

My female shih tzu started peeing in the house when she came in heat. She hadn't done this before. Do females pee more when they're in heat?

Dogs a female dog nipples get larger when they are in heat [ 3 Answers ]

I've read a lot of information but I'm not clear on this one. My first experience with a female dog and I don't know if she had been mated. I've only seen one male dog handing around and I had him sent back to his owners. Before seeing the male dog, I had left my dog alone and loose on our farm...

When will my female puppy Italian Greyhound come into heat? [ 3 Answers ]

I asked a potty training question the other day and I had a couple of very helpful responses. Thank you for helping me on that subject! The next question I have is about my female Italian Greyhound coming into heat the first time. She is 7 months old and my male is 10 months old. He seems to be...

Heat/fan come on at same time [ 8 Answers ]

When the thermostat calls for heat, the fan kicks on immediately, heats home until thermostat says it is warm enough. Heat gas kicks off and fan dies. 30 seconds later, the fan limit control kicks fan on again for about 1 minute and then stops. I don't think this is a fan limit control problem....

View more questions Search