North of west with a speed of 37 km/h. Three
    Hours later, it shifts due north, and its speed
    Slows to 98 km/h.
    How far from Grand Bahama is the eye 4.50
    H after it passes over the island? Answer in
    Units of km.
    Shelesh Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2009, 10:53 AM

A weird question... Is this a Projectile motion??
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Start with a dot that represents the Grand Bahama Island. Draw a line at 69 degrees northwest. This makes a 69 degree angle with north. The length of the line is 3 * 37 (37 kph * 3 hrs = 111 kilometers). From there, draw a line due north. The length of this line is (4.5 - 3) = 1.5 hours * 98 kph = 147 kilometers long.

Now the question I have, is if it starts at 37 km/h, how can it "slow" to 97 km/h?

In any case, you have two lines. The third line back to the Grand Bahama is the length that you need.

I've created an attachment that shows the situation. Call the Grand Bahama point G.

Construct a triangle AGD by drawing a line due east of point A.
    You know the angle DGA and you know the length of the GA line, so you can solve the ADG triangle.

The length of BA is the same as CD. And AD is the same length as BC. You just solved for DG so you can add that to CD and get the length of the side of the GC triangle. You now know BC and CG so you can calculate the angle BGC and solve the entire triangle.

I have never attacned a file to one of these posts, so I hope this works.

Hope this is a reasonable explanation.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Projectile motion [ 1 Answers ]

I have problems with calculations involving projectiles, pliz help me and refer to the best wesites where I can get help? Thanks or send to <[email protected]>

I need help trying to help one of my high school kids answer a projectile motion problem. A bride throws a bouqet from a balcony 20 meters from the ground at an angle of 37 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 10 m/s. The bouqet overshoots the crowd below and lands on the...

An Olympic basketball player shoots towards a basket that is 5.54 m horizontally from her and 3.05 m above the floor. The ball leaves her hand 1.52 m above the floor at an angle of 63.0o above the horizontal. What initial speed should she give the ball so that it reaches the basket and hopefully...

Projectile motion [ 2 Answers ]

In the absence of air resistance, why does the horizontal component of velocity for a projectile remain constant while the vertical component changes? How does the downward component of the motion of a projectile compare with the motion of free fall??

A rocket is launched at an angle of 56.0° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 101 m/s. The rocket moves for 3.00 s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 29.0 m/s2. At this time, its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a projectile. a) Find the maximum...

View more questions Search