Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 12:13 AM
    How many more calories?
    For significant weight loss, how many more calories should one burn in a day more than they take in?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:20 PM

You don't specify a time frame. That is the determining factor. If you burn 1000 more than you take in a day you should lose a healthy 2 pounds a week or so.
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 01:43 PM

I want to lose 30 pounds in 3 months. PREFERABLY.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 01:47 PM

Its possible but it is going to depend on your metabolism and dedication. 1500 calories a day is a good target. 3 pounds a week is hard to maintain, but not impossible.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 01:52 AM

If you lose it too fast you'll put it all back on again and then some. It's pretty much the problem with yo yo diets. Basically by losing weight slowly you 'trick' your body into believing your new weight is the right weight. We have an internal measure of 'our' weight which the body tries to maintain.

So if you were 60kg and put on 3kg the body would adjust it's metabolism to get back to 60kg, same for if you lost it. It is how people don't change shape every time they eat a massive dinner or skip a meal.

Well in truth its about a hundred times more comlicated than that and it's not all understood yet, but it is one of the reasons you can't rush this process. You'll just end up cheating yourself in the long run.

Here is an interesting (open acess) paper detailing some of the biochemical pathwyas involved in weight maintenance.
    http://www.ama-med.org.ar/obesidad/R...al_Energia.pdf
    Vision Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 07:52 PM

I don't understand how 2 pounds is good but three pounds in bad...
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 7, 2009, 08:53 PM
    LOOK UP A WEIGHT LOSS CALCULATOR ON GOOGLE. Sorry I don't have the website saved on my laptop favs! The calculator Basically computes your BMI and age into what is the 100% maintenance level for your current weight and provides calorie deficits in increments of 10% 20% 30%... The higher the deficit the quicker you will lose... In the beginning its easy to lose 10 pounds but then it will level off and totally depend on your calorie deficit and with motivation and not slipping, you will lose 2 pounds a week if you are lucky. But Hey that's 40 pounds lost in only 6 months
    SirPeter Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2009, 09:34 PM
    If you honestly want to lose weight then exercise.

Its seriously hard eating just 1500 calories per day, especially if you work hard!

The tip is, eat what you want in moderation and exercise very hard. Run 5-6 days every week. You know you've worked your body hard if your out of breathe, if your very sweaty and boiling hot.

All these diets of course work, but very slowly. You didn't put weight on quickly and you'll certainly won't lose weight quickly using a diet.

Good luck and report back

Pete

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

500 Calories a day [ 21 Answers ]

Is 500 calories a day for about a week OK? Then I'll switch to 1200 calories a day after a week?

How many calories? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering how many calories would be in a samwhich consisting of : 2 slices grain bread Marg on both sides Lite mayo on both sides Cold chicken Lettuce Red onion How many calories would be in 1 large glass of wine?

How many calories do I need? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 27 year-old female, 5' 7" and weigh 134 pounds. I have worked out off and on for a while, but recently I started exercising for 1 hour every day. My routine is as follows: I run a 10 minute mile for 30 minutes on the treadmill OR do the stair machine (actual stairs, not stairmaster)...

How many calories? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl, and I am 5'6". I currently weigh 113.5 pounds. How many calories should I take in each day (with light exercise) to maintain this weight?

View more questions Search