Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 19, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Homeless solution?
    Think Progress » Homeless woman from Obama’s town hall given a place to live.

Chene Thompson, the wife of State Rep. Nick Thompson (R), has offered her former residence to Hughes. “Basically, I offered Ms. Hughes and her son the opportunity to stay in my home rent free, for as long as they need to,” said Thompson. “I’m not a millionaire, I’m not rich, but this is what I can do for someone if they need it.”

Here is another great story

Woman buys foreclosed home for stranger | Latest News | WFAA.com

Or this:

ABC News: Facebook Group Petitions on Behalf of Flight 3407 Buffalo Crash Family

Individuals helping other individuals?

How about this?

ACORN disrupts foreclosures

Or demands to break the law?

G&P
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:25 PM
    I think it is wonderful people helping people. I love it, we all should take a long look at ourselves and think of something we are able to do. Time and or money can be of great help. Many of us can only give time, but there are so many still that can help with donations or what not. There are a lot of us out there...
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Wonder who is going to take care of the women who thinks she'll get her gas for free?
    YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    ACORN disrupts foreclosures
    Hello in:

Wow, Dude! I thought ACORN was hated by the righty's.

excon
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:02 AM

Tom, I don't think she expects the government is going to pay her bills. I think she is saying that with Obama as President she will be prosperous again and will not have to worry about where she is going to get the money to pay her bills.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:09 AM

I know what she means .Obama's promise of "spreading the wealth" spread something more than that.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Tom, I don't think she expects the government is going to pay her bills. I think she is saying that with Obama as President she will be prosperous again and will not have to worry about where she is going to get the money to pay her bills.
    Why couldn't people do this with Bush in office? Cause they didn't like him? Or they needed... what? I just don't get it. Listen, it doesn't matter who is in the office, we have choices, she could have made that same choice last year. The lady that bought the house could have to... hmmmmm
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22 View Post
    Why couldn't people do this with Bush in office? Cause they didn't like him? Or they needed...what? I just don't get it. Listen, it doesn't matter who is in the office, we have choices, she could have made that same choice last year. The lady that bought the house could have to...hmmmmm
    Because by the end People did not believe in Bush. They just saw him as the guy who lied to get into Iraq to get oil. I am not saying it is right but it is what it is. And it didn't start with Bush it started with Clinton Maybe before but I couldn't vote then so I didn't pay attention to what was going on.

You know when I think about it I am better off now then I was 8 years ago (keep in mind 8 years ago I was 23 and just finishing college) And you are right start it has nothing to do with the President it had to do with me working my @$$ off in school and then at work. I wanted to buy a house 2 years ago but I knew I couldn't afford it so I didn't even bother. I knew if I started to look at houses I would convince myself that I could afford it when really I couldn't.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:56 AM
    And you are right start it has nothing to do with the President it had to do with me working my @$$ off in school and then at work. I wanted to buy a house 2 years ago but I knew I couldn't afford it so I didn't even bother. I knew if I started to look at houses I would convince myself that I could afford it when really I couldn't.

I'd start looking . There has to be comparatively some great bargains out there. I would rather see someone who has worked for it and played by the rules be the beneficiary of the housing bubble burt ,than having you as part of the renter's class ;having to open up your wallet to bail out someone who over-reached based on a social engineering scheme by the government .
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Because by the end People did not believe in Bush. They just saw him as the guy who lied to get into Iraq to get oil. I am not saying it is right but it is what it is. And it didn't start with Bush it started with Clinton Maybe before but I couldn't vote then so I didn't pay attention to what was going on.

You know when I think about it I am better off now then I was 8 years ago (keep in mind 8 years ago I was 23 and just finishing college) And you are right start it has nothing to do with the President it had to do with me working my @$$ off in school and then at work. I wanted to buy a house 2 years ago but I knew I couldn't afford it so I didn't even bother. I knew if I started to look at houses I would convince myself that I could afford it when really I couldn't.
    At least we got this said. We had the same choices then as we do now...
    It is just up to us tomake the right choices as you did, not going to look cause if you did, you probably would have bought. Just like NOT filing out the credit card applications that come in the mail. I fully understand this. I just don't like the fact that the credit is put on Obama, he really has nothing to do with it. We should put the credit where it is due, and in a few instances it is just the plain ole people that helped and did the right thing when they could. Nobody else.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:59 AM

Tom we do have our eyes on a few houses right now. But my wife's company just laid off about 400 people she was one of the lucky ones who made the cut so to speak. She wants to wait a few more months just so she knows her job is stable then we are going to really start to look.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello in:

Wow, Dude! I thought ACORN was hated by the righty's.

excon
    I wonder how many of those in ACORN that are aiding in breaking the law have actually taken in someone into their own home?

ACORN and the libs look to the government to help tham

Conservatives take individual action to help themselves and others

G&P
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 11:14 AM
    We had the same choices then as we do now....
    Now we have a leader who inspires us with specific ideas to improve our country and doesn't just fling out an offhand "Go out and shop." Since the election in November, I'm continually amazed at positive and uplifting comments by -- and especially noticing random acts of kindness done by -- library patrons in my multi-ethnic community. Volunteer applications are at an all-time high, and very audible/visible are conversations between and courtesies extended to strangers. I give credit to the Obama phenomenon.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Well crap, I was doing nice things all along. Are you telling me it took Obama to be president to tell these people they could do good? I am not buying that crap. AND just now people are noticing that someone did something nice? I do not think so. It is a choice, and that just goes to show that before they were not making the right ones. I guess that sounds pretty negative, but as I see it, excuse after excuse is why someone couldn't make their own choices to help someone out.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 11:43 AM

Homeless families face strict new rules - The Boston Globe

Massachusetts has a horrible plan for imposing unreasonable restrictions on their homeless population. Who can even get a 30 hour per week job, let alone save 30% of their income? And just where are these people who don't toe the line with the imposed regulations going to live after having been evicted from a shelter? At the governor's mansion for free? No. On the street.

So where's all the nicey nice people in Massachusetts? Oh, they must have moved elsewhere...
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Very good question.
    How accurately does Adam Shepard's experience reflect the American reality? - EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
    I liked this the best!

Much of the current homeless population isn't as fortunate as Shepard, however. Finding the way to a better life can be a more difficult journey for those with any number of personal barriers - poor health, substance-abuse problems, even dependent family members, said Alison Goodwin, a spokeswoman for the state's Executive Office of Health and Human Services.

That doesn't mean doing so is impossible.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Feb 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Homeless families face strict new rules - The Boston Globe

Massachusetts has a horrible plan for imposing unreasonable restrictions on their homeless population. Who can even get a 30 hour per week job, let alone save 30% of their income? And just where are these people who don't toe the line with the imposed regulations going to live after having been evicted from a shelter? At the governor's mansion for free? No. On the street.

So where's all the nicey nice people in Massachusetts? Oh, they must have moved elsewhere ....
    Well Governor Palin apparently doesn't use the Alaskian Governor's mansion for about 300 days a year, while the state pays for it's upkeep and also for the inconvienence of her travelling from home to work everyday (about 60 miles).

I wonder if some homeless people could live there?
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
    No, but they could go to a church or a homeless shelter to try and get on their feet... would you let a homeless person that you have no idea about stay at your house while you were there or gone? I don't see your point.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Feb 20, 2009, 12:00 PM
    No, but they could go to a church or a homeless shelter to try and get on their feet...would you let a homeless person that you have no idea about stay at your house while you were there or gone? I don't see your point.
    It was a tongue in cheek jab at Government waste; even by the so called new Champion of the Republican party Sarah Palin.

Why wouldn't I let a homeless person use my home when I wasn't there, is a homeless person any less a person than say a neighbor who has lost their job? There are homeless people of every economic background, then there are some who are mentally challenged.

The mentally challenged ones wouldn't be safe in my home, and they belong in a shelter with some sort of supervision. However a single mother family who suddenly finds themselves homeless is worthy of opening our doors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About to be homeless [ 2 Answers ]

I need someone to tell me the Florida law on home forclosures, my home went to actution on the 9th how long do I have until we get thrown out?

Homeless and Confused [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, this is a long story. I'm in my early twenties, was in a 3 year relationship that broke up about a year ago, we lived together, it was wonderful until the end. Now, I'm 6 months in with a guy in his late twenties, owns his own home, car, successful job, he's a very nice guy. So I had to...

Homeless Vets [ 32 Answers ]

Hello Righty's: Last Tuesday night, in reference to our nation's homeless veterans, Your spokesperson, Bill O'Reilly said: “They may be out there, but there’s not many of them out there. Okay? … If you know where there's a veteran sleeping under a bridge, you call me immediately, and we will...

Homeless tax situation [ 15 Answers ]

Hello and thank you. I know a homeless guy who has not filed taxes since 1970. He needs medical assistance but is afraid he will be arrested and will not go to the doctor. How can I get him back into the system? He has not made over $3,000 a year since 1970. He makes his income from washing...

Homeless [ 1 Answers ]

I am practically homeless because of my rental history. I wanted to know if I paid off the broken leases (even though the monies will be paid to a collection agency) would this help me gain housing? I have 3 broken leases. One broken lease is from 2001 for $1400.00. 2nd broken lease is from...

View more questions Search