Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2009, 07:51 PM
    A/C stopped working - 2002 Acura RSX
    To think I dumped my Intrigue because its headlights flickered...

Honda A/C compressor with only 80K miles stopped working. When I turn the A/C on, nothing happens - other than the instrument panel A/C indicator light turning on.

No sound of the compressor engaging - and it used to be a very noticeable sound - no fans coming on, no change in engine load.

Bad clutch? Empty of refrigerant? It was pretty cold last summer, hard to believe it would be empty now, unless something happened to a seal somewhere...

Could the entire compressor be shot?

Feb 19, 2009, 07:53 PM

Oh - about a week ago I noticed a barely perceptible squeal that changed pitch momentarily when I turned the A/C off and on...

Feb 19, 2009, 08:16 PM

Will it harm anything to drive the car with the A/C out of commission?

If it were seized, wouldn't it squeal like a pig and even cause the engine to die from the excess drag?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:16 PM

. Check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Check compressor clutch relay, located on a bracket on the right side of the condenser.

If the problem persists, check the compressor clutch connector and clutch. Since you live in Michigan, the clutch connector may be corroded--clean and apply dielectric grease.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:18 PM
    It's likely not engaging. If it were, you could feel it. The compressor did fail on my 1993 Civic at 20,000 miles--had to install a new one.

Feb 19, 2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks, txgreasemonkey!

Since I have to go to work tomorrow, before I can examine it, will it cause any harm to drive the car?

I'm thinking no - since it's not making noise or putting drag on the engine.

The clutches wear out just like the clutch between the engine and transmission!

Feb 19, 2009, 08:31 PM
    All these components - starter, a/c, p/s - I think they're all made by suppliers.

I hope the engine wasn't outsourced!
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:34 PM

It shouldn't. I don't think the compessor is even engaging.

Feb 19, 2009, 08:36 PM

No - I'm positive it's not engaging. As recently as four days ago compressor engagement was VERY noticeable.

No more noticeable than when I bought the car, just noticeable.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:40 PM

You should be safe to drive it.

Feb 19, 2009, 09:03 PM

Could a leak, causing very low refrigerant level also cause the compressor to not engage?

Feb 19, 2009, 09:18 PM

And if the refrigerant is low, should I chalk it up to the car's age (6 1/2 years, 81K miles) or inspect it for a leak?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 09:40 AM

If the system doesn't have enough freon in it, it can kick on and off constantly or not turn on at all. With air conditioning, anything's possible. A pinhole leak can lose all the freon in a week's time. I'd have that checked first.

Feb 20, 2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks.

I'll add some refrigerant first - cheapest and hopefully most spot on solution.

I tried it again today and the compressor came on - once. Tried it again and it wouldn't come on. So, it may be the refrigerant after all.

Feb 20, 2009, 03:39 PM

Damn - apparently adding R134 not such a good idea:

The reason for this is that a completely depleted refrigerant system has no pressure to keep air and moisture from coming in through wherever the refrigerant leaked out. Air and moisture are possibly the two biggest enemies of an air conditioning system. The ways in which they can do harm are outside the scope of this article, but suffice it to say that it is NOT ok to have a significant amount of either in the lines. The receiver/dryer unit MUST be replaced in a case like this as you can almost guarantee that it has absorbed enough moisture to be completely useless, and before refilling the system it MUST be evacuated (pulling a vacuum on the system, effectively removing nearly all air and moisture from inside) with the proper equipment, which few DIYers are likely to have access or knowledge to use. Let a professional handle it, and you may get away with paying for a fixed leak and an evacuate/recharge. Try to fix it yourself, and a few months down the road you might wind up having to pay for the same evacuate/recharge service, plus replacement of a seized compressor, as well as a new condenser, evaporator, and expansion valve/orifice tube because the compressor sent shards of metal throughout the entire system when it died.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 03:41 PM

Have it checked for leaks first. If there is one, get it repaired and have the system flushed; also replace the receiver dryer/accumulator and orifice tube(s) if your vehicle has them. Those are the 2 filters, so to speak, in the A/C system.

Like what posted, contaminants can get into the system through the smallest holes. Once they're in, they can cause damage if they get past the filters.

Feb 20, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    . Check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Check compressor clutch relay, located on a bracket on the right side of the condenser.

If the problem persists, check the compressor clutch connector and clutch. Since you live in Michigan, the clutch connector may be corroded--clean and apply dielectric grease.
    Aren't fuses "checkable" visually!

Feb 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Have it checked for leaks first. If there is one, get it repaired and have the system flushed; also replace the receiver dryer/accumulator and orifice tube(s) if your vehicle has them. Those are the 2 filters, so to speak, in the A/C system.
    Thanks again - so much for the $10 can of R134 fix!
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 03:42 PM

I agree; A/C work sucks. They charge too much for the parts and the systems are ridiculous to work on sometimes. Good luck :)

Feb 20, 2009, 03:43 PM

How are leaks found - with a dye?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

P0420 Code, 2002 Acura RSX [ 102 Answers ]

I just got a CEL last night - P0420, catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1). VERY cold here, in the high single digits. Don't know if that's a factor or not. Car has 80K miles on it, I replaced the OEM catalytic converter with a highflow cat a few months ago, no CEL was ever...

Pto stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Cub cadet electric clutch started and stopped I checked all the wireing it just stopped working today and will not start back up clutch or maybe something else thanks larry

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

View more questions Search