Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlesnik33 View Post
    all systems leak over a period of time but if they are in good condition they should only leak about half a pound per year and the most common place for leaks is at the compressor hose connections the best way to test for leaks is with an electronic leak detector. you also said it wont engage if it has low pressure so that can be bad high and low pressure cutoff switches
    Lots of potential problems here... :(

But I'm hoping - and praying - for a simple solution.

Feb 20, 2009, 04:33 PM

Max. charge is 19.4 oz. Sounds reasonable that it has all leaked out with age.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 04:33 PM

The clutch bearing goes bad, just like on a water pump or alternator.

I have to disagree with the statement that a system in good condition leaks half a pound a year. A system in good condition doesn't leak, period.

Feb 20, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    The clutch bearing goes bad, just like on a water pump or alternator.

I have to disagree with the statement that a system in good condition leaks half a pound a year. A system in good condition doesn't leak, period.
    Is that the same bearing as the compressor bearing? I had one of those go bad on another car, it was obvious as it squealed full time - A/C on or off.
    Jlesnik33 Posts: 235, Reputation: 26

Feb 20, 2009, 04:40 PM

Well an easy way to check for leaks is to just look for oily residue on the system components and hoses but you said it kicks on but not under low pressure so it could either be the pulley that engages power from the engine to the compressor clutch. The pulley might be worn or it could be that the low pressure cut off switch could be bad and yes all air conditioning systems leak trace amounts of refridgerant with time
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 04:43 PM

Are you referring to the pulley that sits on the compressor and the serpentine belt loops around? That doesn't have anything to do with "engaging power" from the engine. There's a switch that tells the clutch when to kick on and when to kick off.

Feb 20, 2009, 04:44 PM

The pulley could also have too much tension, which could cause the compressor clutch to stay disengaged

Feb 20, 2009, 04:44 PM

She must be referring to the clutch - IDK how the pulley can go bad, unless it rusts away

Feb 20, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Okay you have no idea what your talking about.
    Ultra Member

the pulley could also have to much tension, which could cause the compressor clutch to stay disengaged
    Um, no. Please explain how the pulley would magically begin to have too much tension on it.

the pulley could also have to much tension, which could cause the compressor clutch to stay disengaged
    Tensioner indicator is within range, I replaced the serpentine belt about 20K miles ago

Feb 20, 2009, 04:50 PM

The clutch is driven by power from the engines crankshaft, which is transmitted though one or more belts to the pulley which is in operation whenever the engine is running. When the clutch is engaged power is transmitter from the pulley to the compressor shaft by the cluthe drive plate.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 04:52 PM
    The clutch is driven by power from the engines crankshaft, which is transmitted though one or more belts to the pulley which is in operation whenever the engine is running. When the clutch is engaged power is transmitter from the pulley to the compressor shaft by the cluthe drive plate.
    Oh my lord... who have you been talking to? The crankshaft does NOT drive the A/C compressor or the clutch.

Feb 20, 2009, 04:54 PM

Actually who have you been talking to that you don't understand anything that I'm saying?

Feb 20, 2009, 05:00 PM

Now, now...

The crank does drive the serpentine belt, which in turn drives the various accessories, including the A/C compressor.

Feb 20, 2009, 05:07 PM

Well the clutch is driven by the engine and the clutch transmits its power through the pulley which engages and disengages the compressor and when the compressor is disengaged the pulley free wheels and if your compressor sometimes kicks on the pulley may be worn, has too much tension or the clutch plate is malfunctioning and not engaging the compressor when necessary

Feb 20, 2009, 05:13 PM

It could also be an electrical problem because the clutch is designed to engage the pulley to the compressor shaft when the clutch coil is energized so if there is not enough current to energize the clutch coil the clutch will not engage the pulley to the compressor shaft and will not engage the compressor

Feb 20, 2009, 06:21 PM

Thanks - that's also likely considering I live in Michigan (rust belt, thanks to road salt) and the location of the compressor right above the subframe. Meaning an electrical connection could be corroded.

Feb 20, 2009, 09:17 PM

No problem, and I'm sorry I was being mean its just I went to school for it and work in a business with my girlfriend as a side job, hope all goes well, and if you need anything else I'm here

Mar 5, 2009, 01:10 PM

Update - took it to A/C guy, he evacuated, vacuumed, noticed and replaced a slightly leaky service port/valve on the low side, and refilled. With rides to and from work, $60.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

P0420 Code, 2002 Acura RSX [ 102 Answers ]

I just got a CEL last night - P0420, catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1). VERY cold here, in the high single digits. Don't know if that's a factor or not. Car has 80K miles on it, I replaced the OEM catalytic converter with a highflow cat a few months ago, no CEL was ever...

Pto stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Cub cadet electric clutch started and stopped I checked all the wireing it just stopped working today and will not start back up clutch or maybe something else thanks larry

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

View more questions Search