Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dbatjeffersonto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Wall tile and vinyl floor
    I'm putting ceramic tile on one wall in the bathroom and vinyl floor down.what do we do when the tile meets the vinyl
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 05:06 PM

You can caulk it but I don't care for that because it discolors.

Although I would caulk it at where it meets the floor in case the toilet overflows water etc and the caulk will help prevent the spilled water from getting under the vinyl floor. We do that on the job no matter what base trim is used.

You can use painted shoe molding to terminate the tile to floor. Its not as thick as quarter round.

You will have a small gap where the grout is shallower than the tile but you can carefully caulked and paint that minuet area. That's if the tile goes all the way to the floor and then shoe mldg.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Feb 19, 2009, 07:50 PM

If you can find one to match or contrast properly - you could also use a base tile - see the bottom of this page link.

HOMETIME HOW TO, Ceramic Tile - Choosing Tile
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 10:33 AM

Both answeres are on the money. It all depends on the look you want and if base tiles are even available for your wall tile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Tile floor or wall first [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I am ready to tile my new shower. I allresdy installed the pan and the hardie backer. Every thing has cured. I am using 1/2 tile (in 12x12 sheets) on floor and 9x13 on the walls. Should I tile the floor or walls first?:confused: Lee

Shower tile on wall and floor [ 3 Answers ]

Here is a pretty simple question. First of all I would like to thank everyone that has answered some of previous questions about my bathroom remodel. I plan on tiling the walls as well as the floor. So which comes first? I was thinking of doing the walls first. That way I was not walking all...

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Removing Old Vinyl Tile from Cement Floor [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove old vinyl tile from a cement floor? The tile has been on the floor for approx. 25 years and is securely stuck to the cement. Thank you, Mary Hamilton

View more questions Search