Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 19, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Humane mouse traps?
    Is there any such thing as a humane mouse trap? A little door mouse has taken up reisdence in the den and while I do't want to harm the little fellow, he needs to go before he gets himself eaten.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 04:47 PM

Your Husky could probably catch the doormouse as they are very quick.

There is no humane mouse trap out there that I know of. Just get one that is capable of snapping or you could use the glue ones that keep the mouse alive but then you must dispose of the trap and the mouse as the mouse won't be able to be freed from the glue as that is quite a strong adhesive they use in those traps.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 03:07 PM

I have a few humane mouse traps. It's a box, holds around 6 mice. They walk in, there's a little ramp, once they step over the ramp it lifts and they are trapped inside the box. I bought mine at Home depot.

Just put some food inside (peanut butter on bread works the best) and place the "trap" against a wall. When you catch the little guy you can take him outdoors, far away from you home and open the lid and release.

I hate killing them too, but I can't have them living in my home, too much damage and they breed like rabbits, they'd quickly take over the Altenweg house. ;)

Hope you find a trap in a store near you.

Good luck.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 21, 2009, 01:46 AM

Thank you! I will have to check the next time I get a chance. The little thing is as cute as can be and I couldn't stand killing it. It has every right to live as anything else, it just found the wrong place is all. I about had a heart attack when I saw it, not out of fear for myself as most woman would, but for it because the second it dashed out from under the TV stand I new I wasn't the only one that saw it. I instantly snatched up the cat who was already on the way and had my husband drag the dogs out of the room. I tried to round it up into a box but it managed to disappear on me. That was about two weeks ago and I saw it again a few days back. Luckily he's kept out of the kitchen as far as I can tell, but the day I don't notice him first will probably be his last.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 01:25 PM

Here are a few pics of the one I have.

Name:  images[1].jpg
Views: 84
Size:  2.5 KB

Name:  images[2].jpg
Views: 114
Size:  2.8 KB

Name:  images[6].jpg
Views: 84
Size:  2.6 KB

It really is the best one. I had another one before this, it looked the same, only difference was that it wound up, there was a little device, when the mouse went in the little wheel device would spin and deposit the mouse in the box. It's not good, mice got stuck in the wheel, either broke their legs or died a slow painful death.

The one above can't hurt them at all, not even the babies can get stuck. It's great.

Good luck catching him/her Silver, you probably have more than one by now, so keep the trap up for a while.

One thing I can tell you. Even with plenty of food and water in the trap, release the mouse within 24 hours. For some reason, if you leave them in too long they will die, probably from panic.

I can't kill anything either, well, except mosquitos and flies, have no problem wacking them. ;)
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 10:01 PM

Just make sure you release it far away, they always seem to find away back:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the most humane way to euthanize mice? [ 5 Answers ]

We have 3 snakes and a tokay gecko, all of which each frozen-thaw mice. We like to breed our own mice not only because its cheaper than paying a dollar for each mouse when the snakes eat twice a week, but it also ensures that our mice aren't carrying any funky diseases. We have been euthanizing...

Pee Traps [ 1 Answers ]

Can pee traps used for a 30 foot level drain?

Installing mouse w/o a mouse [ 1 Answers ]

My mouse went out on an old computer and I have tried installing new software using only keystrokes to no avail. Everything I try comes back to the same problem -- not having a mouse. I can't uninstall the old software w/o a mouse. I'm lost. Suggestions appreciated. Ed

S traps [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Minnesota and am trying to find when S traps were determined to be "illegal". Also, what is the problem with them? Thank you very much for this forum!

''S'' Traps [ 2 Answers ]

Tom, if you hadn't educated me on vents and traps, I might never notice a bunch of stuff. Recently I spent 2 days in the basement of the dog guide school kennel in a training session. Largely unfinished, likely never intended to have 75 dogs and their people there all day for training. At one...

View more questions Search