Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 07:33 AM
    The Palin's
    Hello:

"Everyone should be abstinent or whatever, but it's not realistic at all."

Who said that? If you said Bristol Palin, you'd be right.

Why would a teenager who just had an unwanted pregnancy say that? Cause she's right?? Or would she say that because she forgot to run it by her church/mom first?

Or is it that she just doesn't know what she's talking about? Abstinence, in your view, DOES work.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Here is the transcript of the reply in question . When you decipher the teen lingo of "you know" and "like "--- and her clear inexperience in front of the camera nervousness and ability to articulate her thoughts clearly on the subject ,you find that in a nut shell:
    1.She thinks her pregnency was a mistake .
    2. That teens do not stigmatize peers who are parents .
    3. That abstinence is preferred ;that she would've been better to wait 10 years .

VAN SUSTEREN: I don't want to pry to personally, but I mean, actually, contraception is an issue here. Is that something that you were just lazy about or not interested, or do you have a philosophical or religious opposition to it or…
    BRISTOL: No. I don't want to get into detail about that. But I think abstinence is, like — like, the — I don't know how to put it — like, the main — everyone should be abstinent or whatever, but it's not realistic at all.
    VAN SUSTEREN: Why?
    BRISTOL: Because — I don't want to get into details on this.
    VAN SUSTEREN: Well, no, I don't mean personally, just big picture, not — not necessarily about you, but…
    BRISTOL: Because it's more and more accepted now.
    VAN SUSTEREN: Among your classmates and kids your age?
    BRISTOL: Among — yes, among kids my age.
    VAN SUSTEREN: How do you change that?
    BRISTOL: To see stories like this and to see other stories of teen moms and just — it's something that's — I don't know, just — you should just wait 10 years and it'd just be so much easier.
    Bristol Palin Interview Transcript « Tommychristopher's Blog
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:23 AM
    It's no surprise coming from a 17-year-old, they think they know everything already. Here's the thing, ex, abstinence DOES work... but only if you actually practice it.

We can have that whole discussion all over again for the umpteenth time, or we can just acknowledge that both sides have a point.

I have no problem with “comprehensive sex education,” I just don’t think it’s appropriate to begin in kindergarten – let kids be kids again. But I DO have a problem with the subversive way in which “family planning” groups (you know who they are) intrude and undermine parental rights and in some cases I would say prey on our youth. I DO have a problem with the careless, inexcusable disregard for innocent life in this world. But I don’t have a problem with educating our kids responsibly.

You have a problem with abstinence, but surely you can admit it’s the only foolproof way to keep from getting pregnant and spread STD’s. Should our children not also know the advantages of abstinence? No?

I hope you check out the links.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
    I had to read that quote 3 times and still can't understand a word they're talking about!!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:32 AM

Hi excon... we can all say that after the fact as in... Bristol Palin... maybe reality has hit her but the choice remains with each individual and in my view not reaistic in today's society.

I think you can abstain from... shall we say taking a vote on a certain issue or maybe abstain from giving your view... pleading the fifth amendment... but when it comes to a more personal issue, then each to their own.

Devout religions insist on a particular behaviour which most followers will follow for fear of the unknown, whilst others may wish to be abstinent by choice with their chosen partener, in the hope of a perfect beginning to their married life together... not that I think their marriage will be any better than the people who have indulged before the marriage.

You could almost say that you need to try the goods before committing yourself, it's no good after the fact... there is no 16 day return policy.

Young people will do what comes naturally, hopefully they will use some sort of protection beforehand.

At the end of the day no-one has the right to dictate anybody else's life to them, they must learn by there own mistakes.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    It's no surprise coming from a 17-year-old, they think they know everything already. Here's the thing, ex, abstinence DOES work...but only if you actually practice it.

We can have that whole discussion all over again for the umpteenth time, or we can just acknowledge that both sides have a point.

I have no problem with “comprehensive sex education,” I just don’t think it’s appropriate to begin in kindergarten – let kids be kids again. But I DO have a problem with the subversive way in which “family planning” groups (you know who they are) intrude and undermine parental rights and in some cases I would say prey on our youth. I DO have a problem with the careless, inexcusable disregard for innocent life in this world. But I don’t have a problem with educating our kids responsibly.

You have a problem with abstinence, but surely you can admit it’s the only foolproof way to keep from getting pregnant and spread STD’s. Should our children not also know the advantages of abstinence? No?

I agree with you 100%. I have a 16 year old and abstinence is the standard in my home. It is FULL proof if you practice it. I am very open with my son and communication is critical. I'm not going to say he couldn't fail but I'm setting the bar HIGH and why not?

Did you happen to see the 13 year old boy in the UK ( he looked 9 IF that) who got a 15 year old pregnant and now has a baby. It was sickening to see him holding his son... a baby holding a baby. The parents were selling his pictures to the tabloids for money. Want to know why abstinence doesn't work? Cause we have lost ourselves as parents. Sorry off topic
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 19, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Did you happen to see the 13 year old boy in the UK ( he looked 9 IF that) who got a 15 year old pregnant and now has a baby. It was sickening to see him holding his son...a baby holding a baby. The parents were selling his pictures to the tabloids for money. Want to know why abstinence doesn't work? Cause we have lost ourselves as parents. sorry off topic
    CT, that story gets even worse as TWO other kids have stepped forward as possible fathers to this baby. Both around the same age as the mother!!
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Feb 19, 2009, 08:52 AM
    It's no surprise coming from a 17-year-old, they think they know everything already. Here's the thing, ex, abstinence DOES work... but only if you actually practice it.
    Both my wife and I are educating our 12 year old daughter on abstinence as well as birth control methods. One of the points we repeatedly remind our daughter about abstinence is that it's 100% effective in preventing pregnancy, STD's, potential broken hearts, potential lack of self respect and it provides a means in which to have healthier relationships which are not sex based and will help her attract a healthier partner as an adult.

I have no problem with “comprehensive sex education,” I just don't think it's appropriate to begin in kindergarten – let kids be kids again.
    Agreed.

But I DO have a problem with the subversive way in which “family planning” groups (you know who they are) intrude and undermine parental rights and in some cases I would say prey on our youth.
    I'm not informed enough to have an opinion on this.

I DO have a problem with the careless, inexcusable disregard for innocent life in this world.
    I didn't read the piece, but if this is the whole abortion debate. I am not in favor of abortion, and I am in favor more funding for education to try and change the mindset of those considering it or those who have yet to consider it. However, the reality is that girls and women will continue to have abortions; and I don't think we should deny them a safe medical procedure. If my daughter got pregnant and didn't tell us and for some reason decided to have an abortion despite being taught that keeping the baby or adoption are the only options, I wouldn't want her dying from a coat hanger inside her because we've made it illegal for her to obtain one from a qualified professional.

But I don't have a problem with educating our kids responsibly.

Complete agreement.

You have a problem with abstinence, but surely you can admit it's the only foolproof way to keep from getting pregnant and spread STD's. Should our children not also know the advantages of abstinence? No?
    Complete agreement. Also I don't think that children knowing the advantages of abstinence is a liberal or conservative thing; ONLY knowing about abstinence IS perceived as a conservative thing and I think that is the problem for some people.

Not yet, but I will later.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 19, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

"Everyone should be abstinent or whatever, but it's not realistic at all."

Who said that? If you said Bristol Palin, you'd be right.

Why would a teenager who just had an unwanted pregnancy say that? Cause she's right??? Or would she say that because she forgot to run it by her church/mom first?

Or is it that she just doesn't know what she's talking about? Abstinence, in your view, DOES work.

excon
    EVERYONE... we know that is not true, and obviously she knows it is not true for herself.

NOT REALISTIC AT ALL... because I am a teen, like any other teen, full of raging hormones; and sex being on the TV to sell everything from acne treatment to shampoo, and sex and promiscuity being promoted by music, especially rap, and on primetime shows like "Desperate Housewives" ; does not help.
    Culturally, we are becoming jaded by unfortunant commonality of single teen pregnancy.

SHOULD BE ABSTINENT... till marriage, because that is God's ideal. She knows that, but she is not making an error in judgment, sin if you will, cause her to make a bigger error in judgement, abortion, another sin.

She should be applauded for trying to educate other teens about the reality of teen pregnancy.

G&P
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:00 AM

Tex, if more were like you on both sides I think we could work all this stuff out.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 19, 2009, 09:02 AM

I have 10-11-12 yo children

There is a show on ABC family

"The secret life of the American teenager" it is a good show, frank, honest, realistic, that can jump start families talking about sex education

G&P
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Want to know why abstinence doesn't work? Cause we have lost ourselves as parents. sorry off topic
    I don't think that's off topic at all, I have no doubt this is part of the problem... but that's a long, long, tedious, contentious discussion on culture leaving a lot of bruised and bloodied experts in its wake.

Good to see you again, Tessy. ;)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    She should be applauded for trying to educate other teens about the reality of teen pregnancy.
    Hello in:

I'm not putting her down, in. In fact, I'm applauding her for telling the truth. Abstinence works, but it's not realistic.

THAT is the truth she told. Certainly the REST of it was the truth too, but I wasn't speaking about that.

The one above is the BIG, BLOCKBUSTER one, because it comes from Palins daughter. It wouldn't have the impact it does if it were to come from MY daughter. Why can't you guys get that?

This is the daughter of the "leader" of the GOP, telling the world that her mothers quaint, right wing religious ideas AREN'T REALISTIC. I think that's BIG.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:13 AM

Yup and it was a big thing that Reagan's son didn't share his views ;or that Cheney's daughter is gay.

Frankly I don't think that is what she meant. The last line of the interview I think expressed her true thoughts.

Feb 19, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Hello in:

I'm not putting her down, in. In fact, I'm applauding her for telling the truth. Abstinence works, but it's not realistic.

THAT is the truth she told. Certainly the REST of it was the truth too, but I wasn't speaking about that.

The one above is the BIG, BLOCKBUSTER one, because it comes from Palins daughter. It wouldn't have the impact it does if it were to come from MY daughter. Why can't you guys get that?

This is the daughter of the "leader" of the GOP, telling the world that her mothers quaint, right wing religious ideas AREN'T REALISTIC. I think that's BIG.

excon
    Are we sure that Sarah Palin subscribes to a abstinence ONLY view? Or have we taken her abstinance PREFERENCE and perceived her as having an abstinence only view?

I agree that Bristol is right on the money saying that abstinence is unrealistic these days; I have a 12 year old that was planning to have sex until we stopped her in the planning stages. However, that only redoubled our efforts to educate her, monitor her; be responsible parents as this came upon us by surprise before we thought we would have to deal with it. We think that abstinence education is as important as birth control education because despite the obvious, we think abstinence will allow her to grow into adulthood in a healthier way.

I think the perception amongst us center-left or even further left types is that all conservatives or our right leaning friends prescribe to the abstinence only view and would like birth control education abolished thinking that it is responsible for making teens aware of sex before their time.

I can tell you, kids are aware of sex before their teens and long before they've ever heard about birth control these days.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:31 AM

This is the "leader" of the GOP telling the world that her mothers quaint, right wing religious ideas AREN'T REALISTIC. I think that's BIG.
    Um, why do you think we don't get that? It's not that we don't get it, we get hounded every time something like this comes up. My answer to you is the same as always, we're not perfect, even though you think we think we are. Things happen, the best of parents will face challenges in raising their kids, why should we be shocked that the 17-year-old daughter of religious conservative political figure would get pregnant or say such a thing?

There's a double standard in play here. With the left, good intentions are all that matters. With the right if we don't live up to every standard we profess we are to be vilified. Parents can do all they can to raise their kids right and teach them the values they hold and when the kid makes a mistake it's time to pounce. "See, we told you abstinence doesn't work!" "See, those evangelicals are hypocrites, they can't even control their own kids!" "See, even their kids don't believe it!"

We've heard it over and over and over. This is no revelation, it's no great thing, it's just a family dealing with family things. It's just a nervous 17-year-old talking like 17-year-olds do. I'm sure the Palins did what they could to instill their values in their children, give them credit for their good intentions the way you would say, Obama promising hope and change.

Feb 19, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Um, why do you think we don't get that? It's not that we don't get it, we get hounded every time something like this comes up. My answer to you is the same as always, we're not perfect, even though you think we think we are. Things happen, the best of parents will face challenges in raising their kids, why should we be shocked that the 17-year-old daughter of religious conservative political figure would get pregnant or say such a thing?

There's a double standard in play here. With the left, good intentions are all that matters. With the right if we don't live up to every standard we profess we are to be vilified. Parents can do all they can to raise their kids right and teach them the values they hold and when the kid makes a mistake it's time to pounce. "See, we told you abstinence doesn't work!" "See, those evangelicals are hypocrites, they can't even control their own kids!" "See, even their kids don't believe it!"

We've heard it over and over and over. This is no revelation, it's no great thing, it's just a family dealing with family things. It's just a nervous 17-year-old talking like 17-year-olds do. I'm sure the Palins did what they could to instill their values in their children, give them credit for their good intentions the way you would say, Obama promising hope and change.
    With the exception of the Obama dig at the end; well said.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post
    With the exception of the Obama dig at the end; well said.
    Well you know, I am who I am ;)
    CatieGirl Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 10:17 AM
    I agree with you 100%. I have a 16 year old and abstinence is the standard in my home. It is FULL proof if you practice it. I am very open with my son and communication is critical. I'm not going to say he couldn't fail but I'm setting the bar HIGH and why not?

Did you happen to see the 13 year old boy in the UK ( he looked 9 IF that) who got a 15 year old pregnant and now has a baby. It was sickening to see him holding his son...a baby holding a baby. The parents were selling his pictures to the tabloids for money. Want to know why abstinence doesn't work? Cause we have lost ourselves as parents. sorry off topic
    I agree that parents have lost themselves. I am a 17 year old girl who is an only child. For the longest time, my mom has preached and preached to me about sex and birth control methods. Yes, I am sexualy active with ONE guy.. and we waited 1 year until we first had sex (my first, his first). We have now been together for 3 years. I am on birth control and he uses a condom EVERY time. It's sad to see teenagers having sex without protection and getting pregnant. I go to a very small school (400) kids, and out of those 400, 6 girls have had/or are going to have a baby.. 3 in my grade! They are proud of the fact they are going to be "mommy's".. I find that sick. How are they going to school and support their kids? They won't. They'll drop out and their kids are not going to have much of a chance. I thank God my mom has taught me right and to not end up knocked up at 17 making minimum wage.
    It's great your teaching your 16 year old values and morals- I applaud you!
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 19, 2009, 12:40 PM

Abstinence is NOT NECESSARILY unrealistic!
    My wife and I abstained before marriage because we had this old fashioned idea that we should actually practice our Christian faith.
    Weired, huh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Palin's Email Hacked! [ 12 Answers ]

So apparently some group called anonymous hacked into Palins Yahoo email account. I don't know what they were looking for but this should not be tolerated. Palin's Email Account Hacked (PHOTOS)

View more questions Search