Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tax01 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 07:20 AM
    Resident of KY but employer withheld NJ state taxes
    During complete year 2008, I worked and lived in Louisville, KY at client site but my employer is NJ based so they withheld taxes for state NJ in my pay check? I am not sure what forms I have to fill for NJ and KY to pass on tax credits to KY from NJ? I would really appreciate your help.
    Thanks in Advance.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 10:09 AM

You should talk to your employer ASAP to see if they can stop withholding NJ taxes and withhold KY instead, because otherwise it's a bit messy for you. Heres' what you have to do:

1. Complete a NJ tax return as a non-resident. Since you have no NJ based income and don't live there, your tax bill is $0 and you should get a complete refund of all taxes that were withheld for NJ. That's the good news.

2. Then complete a KY tax return as a full-year resident. You will most likely find that you have a big tax bill due them, since no taxes ere withheld for KY. So be prepared to write a substantial check. There is no way to have NJ credit the taxes that were improperly withheld over to KY - you have to be the bank for this. With luck you may get the NJ refund befoe you have to cough up the tax payment for KY, but I doubt it.

Something to be aware of is if your employer continues to fail to withhold KY tax you may be subject to interest penalties for underpayment of taxes to KY during the year. You should look into filing estimated tax payments with KY on a quarterly basis to avoid these charges. Again - as long as you don't have KY taxes withheld from your paychek you have to come up with these funds yourself.

Bottom lineis because your employer is too lazy (or cheap) to get a KY tax ID, you are on the hook for bankrolling NJ
    tax01 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    You should talk to your employer ASAP to see if they can stop withholding NJ taxes and withhold KY instead, because otherwise it's a bit messy for you. Heres' what you have to do:

1. Complete a NJ tax return as a non-resident. Since you have no NJ based income and don't live there, your tax bill is $0 and you should get a complete refund of all taxes that were withheld for NJ. That's the good news.

2. Then complete a KY tax return as a full-year resident. You will most likely find that you have a big tax bill due them, since no taxes ere withheld for KY. So be prepared to write a substantial check. There is no way to have NJ credit the taxes that were improperly withheld over to KY - you have to be the bank for this. With luck you may get the NJ refund befoe you have to cough up the tax payment for KY, but I doubt it.

Something to be aware of is if your employer continues to fail to withhold KY tax you may be subject to interest penalties for underpayment of taxes to KY during the year. You should look into filing estimated tax payments with KY on a quarterly basis to avoid these charges. Again - as long as you don't have KY taxes withheld from your paychek you have to come up with these funds yourself.

Bottom lineis because your employer is too lazy (or cheap) to get a KY tax ID, you are on the hook for bankrolling NJ
    Thanks for you excellent detailed answer.
    As you said, my employer is cheap to get tax id in KY as I was the only one person working in KY for him. Anyway I have left him now, so should not have this problem next year.

Do you know what form should I file for NJ to get complete refund of withheld tax.
    Also if I get complete refund of withheld tax from NJ, will these create any problem for my Employer as he is not registered in KY?
    Thanks again for your valuable help.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 12:06 PM

For NJ, file form NJ-1040NR.

Shouldn't create a roblem for your employer, but as I said earlier it MAY cause a problem for you if you are tagged by KY for underpaying your KY tax bill during the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all, I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are...

Will I owe IRS if employer didn't pay taxes that were withheld? [ 2 Answers ]

My former employer filed bankrupcty and I don't know if he was paying the iRS taxes that he withheld from my checks. Will I have to pay the IRS that money if he didn't? And if so what can I do to still receive a tax return?

Employer withheld wrong state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for a company in NYC for the past 12 years while living in Pennsylvania. In January 2007, my company switched me finally to our new office in Pennsylvania. Problem is that they never changed my tax withholdings from NY to PA. The issue fell between the cracks, and I never...

Taxes withheld for NYC by employer- I'm a NJ resident [ 1 Answers ]

My employer withheld NY city taxes, but I am a non-resident (I live in NJ and have never lived in NYC). How do I claim a refund or credit for these taxes on my IT-203?:confused:

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

View more questions Search