Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cositas1004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 05:14 AM
    1099-R. Rollover with some money taken out
    Hello.. I am a tax prof from Michigan.. Just doing my fatherinlaws taxes and he is a bit
    Grim on remembering details.. What I would like to know is what was the rollover amount.. He claims it was 50,000.. I don't know..

This is what the 1099-R shows..

Box 1 Gross Dis - $74,377.30
    Box 2a tax amount- $0
    $0 federal tax

Total Distribution box checked..

Box 5 - Employee Contributions/Designated Roth IRA contri etc etc- $19,670.77

Distribution Code G

In the bottom it says Annuity Distrubtion.

Again. He rolled over what he thinks or estimates 50,000... he can't remember.. and he said the rest he took out.. claiming it was around 24,000 and then they taxed that..
    So from what I just explained on the 1099-R.. Who can help me figure this out.. Was the taxed percentage 20%?

Thank you!

Thank YOU!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:54 AM

The end of year statements from the bank would include the contributions to another account.

Total distribution was checked, so it's not this one.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 09:54 AM

Distribution code "G" means this was a direct rollover to another qualified plan (i.e. IRA). That's why Box 2a is $0 - this is a non-taxable rollover. You should be able to find a statement from the IRA company that would confirm whether the full $74K was rolled over to them.

If he remembers making a withdrawal that had some income tax withheld - that must have been a different event than what is documented on this 1099-R. Perhaps he received a second 1099-R documenting an earlier withdrawal? Look carefully - if he received two 1099-R's he may have thought it was just a duplicate. I also suggest you look through his account statements to see what happened - that would make it clear how much the withdrawals were. And yes, if federal income tax is withheld on a distribution it is typically 20% (no state income tax is withheld).
    Cositas1004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Okay.. I see what you are saying..

but he says that when he rolled over X amount he also took some money out.. So this happened all at once

What does the $19670.77 in Box 5 stand for then?? It says Employee Contributions/Designated Roth Contributions or Insurance Premiums..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 12:19 PM

The $19670 is is his after-tax contributions to the IRA. Ths is money he's already paid income tax on, and when he makes a withdrawal the portion attributable to the return of his $19670 in afer-tax contributoins is tax-free. He will owe income tax only on the portion attributable to the growth of the account, or on the return of any pre-tax conributions he may have made.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes, Money, money, money, money? [ 12 Answers ]

Who sings the song that goes something like this... Money, Money,Money, Money?

Can 1099 be issued on h4? Can referral money be paid on h4? [ 1 Answers ]

Can 1099 be issued on h4? Can referral money be paid on h4

How to claim money without 1099 or w2 form [ 3 Answers ]

My husband earned some income flight instructing for a man who didn't withhold or supply any 1099 or w2 forms. What do we do to remain legal? I usually have filed taxes using tubotax, will I still be able to use that? Thank you for any advice.

1099-R / 401K Rollover [ 3 Answers ]

This past year, the company that I work for was sold to another company. I had to take my 401K and roll it over to the new company's 401K plan. A few weeks ago, I received a form 1099-R in the mail. Do I have to report this on my taxes as it was a rollover into a qualified plan? I didn't take...

IRA Rollover [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone here done an ira rollover of their retirement savings? It says in the article "IRA Rollover is you taking up responsibility of your retirement savings account for upto 60 days before reinvesting it into a new retirement plan" How did the process work? What broker did you deal with?...

View more questions Search