Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augustinpe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 11:59 PM
    Melting Igneous Rock
    If I were to melt igneous rock (for example granite), and then let it cool, would the re-hardened material still be granite?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 09:25 PM

There are many types of igneous rock. The mineral they crystallize into is determined by the rate of cooling and the pressure it is under.

Lava rock that is found near active and inactive volcanoes, is not granite. It was formed directly from the magma cooling fairly quickly. Obsidian is formed when magma is cooled so quickly that it doesn't crystallize (it's a glass).
    setexenv Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Aug 20, 2009, 10:49 AM

Granite is actually a plutonic rock meaning that it formed more slowly in the subsurface as opposed to a volcanic rock which solidifies (forms) at the surface. In nature, igeous rocks are often melted and reformed as metamorphic rocks such as gneiss and schist. Over long periods igneous (and other types of rocks) exposed to extreme pressures and temperatures during mountain building will gradually develop into metamorphic rocks. In an artificial environment such as a laboratory, an igneous rock once melted and then cooled rapidly would likely form a different crystalline structure because granites cool and form very slowly in the subsurface.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Melting Granite. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My name is DJ, and my question is: What is the "hardest granite" it's name, the easiest to obtain, and how do I melt it?

Melting point of Mercury [ 7 Answers ]

Mercury has a melting point of -38.87 °C (234.28 °K, -37.966 °F). I also find conflicting information about it's freezing point. I see some sites saying it's freezing point is the same as it's melting point, but others say it freezes at -78 °F. ... so what happens to Mercury when it "melts"?

The melting princess [ 10 Answers ]

Once upon a time there lived a king. The king had a beautiful daughter, the PRINCESS, but there was a problem. Everything the princess touched would Melt, no matter what; Metal, Wood, Stone,

Melting point [ 3 Answers ]

Given that the melting point of water at 218 atm is 1.61 Celsius degree,what is the melting point of water at 0.5 atm? :) Can anyone show me step by step for the calculation? :D Thanks a lot to anyone who help me to solve the problem.your help is most appreciated. :) :)

View more questions Search